Learning right from wrong from the media

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Do you think people can learn right from wrong from the media?
Yes 18%  18%  [ 5 ]
Yes 18%  18%  [ 5 ]
No 32%  32%  [ 9 ]
No 32%  32%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 28

Assassin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 7:44 pm

Ok. I must say thogh, i have a horribly NORMAL name, and i dont mind peeple nowin it...

<a href=http://s13.invisionfree.com/the_project>Project Legacy, building the future</a>

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 7:49 pm

Assassin wrote:
Ok. I must say thogh, i have a horribly NORMAL name, and i dont mind peeple nowin it...

Good for you.

I feel differently.

I don't hate my name on other people (it's actually "normal" as you put it), but when it applies to me, it's like a slap in the face or fingernails on a chalkboard, take your pick.

Assassin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 7:51 pm

the worse one or the better one? cos personally, i prefer the slap... *shudder*

<a href=http://s13.invisionfree.com/the_project>Project Legacy, building the future</a>

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2005, 8:47 pm

Sorry.

I think if you learn things by looking at your life, it means a lot.

thatrsdude
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2005, 4:35 am

TV is fairly harmless so long as you educate your kids properly. Any harm it can do is indirect. There's always a more direct cause otherwise the millions of other people who watch it would also be harmed. Blaming TV/video games/movies etc is like arresting an innocent bystander just because it's too hard to catch the crook.

The problem I have with the media is the amount of lies that go on in the news, and many commercial channels have ulterior motives when screening their shows- to smuggle rightwing propaganda and sell products so they earn more money. I think other countries have their own versions of this show as well, but here in Australia, there's a show called Media Watch on a government owned station that criticises all the lies etc in the media. And some of the lies they've investigated are absolutely shocking.

Malcolm_Scipo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2005, 5:39 am

THE MEDIA ARE EVIL! ONLY THE UNDERGROUND MEDIA HAS ANY DIGNITY!

I WAS NOT WHAT I HAD ALWAYS TRIED TO EMULATE.
INSTEAD A SHADOW OF FORMER GLORY.
AND THEN I CRIED.

Assassin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2005, 3:11 pm

thatrsdude wrote:
TV is fairly harmless so long as you educate your kids properly. Any harm it can do is indirect. There's always a more direct cause otherwise the millions of other people who watch it would also be harmed. Blaming TV/video games/movies etc is like arresting an innocent bystander just because it's too hard to catch the crook.

The problem I have with the media is the amount of lies that go on in the news, and many commercial channels have ulterior motives when screening their shows- to smuggle rightwing propaganda and sell products so they earn more money. I think other countries have their own versions of this show as well, but here in Australia, there's a show called Media Watch on a government owned station that criticises all the lies etc in the media. And some of the lies they've investigated are absolutely shocking.

That sounds quite simler to a show we have here called Watchdog, only it dosent just investigate the media, it investigates pretty much evrything.

jb814
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2005, 7:39 am

I think distorted information, pseudoscience and the presentation of ideas as "normal" , must have an effect. Or is moralityindependant of the perceived world?

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2005, 9:33 am

Of course, but reading between the lines is also important.