Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Bigbang
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Oct 2007, 12:56 am

My answer to your inquiries is gonna be short : Bad Religion. This is my favorite band ever, and one of my narrow aspie interests. Their music has all the qualities you seem to look for : raw edge with decent quality, multi-layered music (often 3 guitars and many vocals tracks), below mainstream popularity, most brilliant lyrics you can find (many of them being social commentaries or personnal introspections), nicest male lead vocals I've ever heard (clean and raw).

The lead singer Greg Graffin holds a PhD in evolutionnary biology and features a lot of aspie traits (narrow intellectual interests, strong honesty, odd gestures, etc). I have his signed PhD thesis here at home, which is titled "Evolution, Monism, Atheism, and the Naturalist World-View" and is just plain brillant.

I also know Bad Religion was a strong influence for the band Sublime (which you mentionned), and Sublime did a cover of the song We're Only Gonna Die, which was written by Bad Religion.

If you ever get into Bad Religion, you won't get bored soon as they have recorded 14 studio albums yet, and have over 250 songs written (the band was formed in 1980 and never lost its edge).

Albums I would recommend as starters :
Agaisnt the Grain
The Generator
Stranger than Fiction
No Control

Check this out :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE6dF3DLZUs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OHMHVKpl9w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmiylwNjKj8

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2007, 3:53 pm

System of a Down is a good Alternative Metal. They're not at all Nu-Metal in my opinion.

And Serj Tankian's (Lead Singer Of System Of A Down) Elect The Dead album as well.

Machine Head are very good as well, although they are more Thrash then Alternative Metal. Those are the only 2 I can think off that are like the likes of Tool, which I must say, Tool are awesome.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2007, 8:51 pm

Bigbang wrote:
My answer to your inquiries is gonna be short : Bad Religion. This is my favorite band ever, and one of my narrow aspie interests. Their music has all the qualities you seem to look for : raw edge with decent quality, multi-layered music (often 3 guitars and many vocals tracks), below mainstream popularity, most brilliant lyrics you can find (many of them being social commentaries or personnal introspections), nicest male lead vocals I've ever heard (clean and raw).

The lead singer Greg Graffin holds a PhD in evolutionnary biology and features a lot of aspie traits (narrow intellectual interests, strong honesty, odd gestures, etc). I have his signed PhD thesis here at home, which is titled "Evolution, Monism, Atheism, and the Naturalist World-View" and is just plain brillant.

I also know Bad Religion was a strong influence for the band Sublime (which you mentionned), and Sublime did a cover of the song We're Only Gonna Die, which was written by Bad Religion.

If you ever get into Bad Religion, you won't get bored soon as they have recorded 14 studio albums yet, and have over 250 songs written (the band was formed in 1980 and never lost its edge).

Albums I would recommend as starters :
Agaisnt the Grain
The Generator
Stranger than Fiction
No Control

Check this out :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE6dF3DLZUs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OHMHVKpl9w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmiylwNjKj8

Bad Religion's pretty good. By the way though, when I say multilayer I am I guess partially meaning the instruments but especially ambience and mood, ideas and emotions that ricochette off of eachother in real strange ways and to where its really immersive and strong but seriously head-f's you at the same time. I should refresh on Bad Religion though, saw them back in 99 at Warp Tour and they had a pretty good mosh pit going.

Dokken
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2007, 9:08 pm

Panda Bear is pretty good.

Bigbang
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Oct 2007, 9:59 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Bad Religion's pretty good. By the way though, when I say multilayer I am I guess partially meaning the instruments but especially ambience and mood, ideas and emotions that ricochette off of eachother in real strange ways and to where its really immersive and strong but seriously head-f's you at the same time. I should refresh on Bad Religion though, saw them back in 99 at Warp Tour and they had a pretty good mosh pit going.

Check out the albums I recommended as "starters" if you havent heard them yet. They're not necessarly my favorites, but I know they are the most acclaimed among Bad Religion's discography.

Bad Religion slowed down their musical hype during 1997-2001 (absence of Mr. Brett, guitarist and one of the two main songwriter). The albums No Substance and New America recorded during those years are still pretty good in my opinion, but they're not their best ; if you prefer agressive music, I would avoid these. Their last 3 records (Process of Belief, The Empire Strikes First, New Maps of Hell) are a fresh comeback to Bad Religion's roots in rawness and energy. Some say these are over-produced (too many vocals), but they're quite impressive and innovative for a band that's been around more than 25 years.

If you can tell me what songs/albums you've heard from Bad Religion and which of them you prefered, I might suggest a few records that will meet your personnal tastes.

Last edited by Bigbang on 26 Oct 2007, 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2007, 10:06 pm

I'll definitely have a listen. Something I should tell you though, I do like older Fugazi a lot - stuff like Repeater and 13 Songs - Ian pulls it all together pretty well I think. I may want to pick up something by Rancid one of these days as well just because, what I have heard I do like.

Bigbang
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Oct 2007, 10:11 pm

FUGAZI!!

Hell, that's another of my favorite bands (and of course another aspie obsession). I have all their records, but their style is so diverse it would be hard to suggest anything specific. If you like the first 2 records, In On the Kill Taker might be an album you'll enjoy (released in 1993).

Oh, and if you like both the aggressive and experimental sound of Tool, go get King Crimson's album The Power to Believe RIGHT NOW! I know some of their newest material is similar too, but I havent checked it yet.

[edit] Okay, I must readress my words : If you like Fugazi's first 2 records, In on the Kill Taker will blow your mind! I'm listening to it right now. :wink:

Last edited by Bigbang on 26 Oct 2007, 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

frizzly
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Oct 2007, 10:18 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Bad Religion's pretty good. By the way though, when I say multilayer I am I guess partially meaning the instruments but especially ambience and mood, ideas and emotions that ricochette off of eachother in real strange ways and to where its really immersive and strong but seriously head-f's you at the same time.

I think I know what you mean, I've had this feeling listening to Pink Floyd and Tool, but unfortunately nothing else that I've listened to comes close to them. And I don't think Tool will come out with another Aenima (even though most people think Lateralus was their best). Coheed & Cambria has a cool happy/dark sound in their songs, you should listen to their CD "Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness" if you haven't yet. (Unfortunately, their new CD "No World For Tomorrow" was kind of disappointing.)

Aradford
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Oct 2007, 11:42 pm

Check out CKY - rocking and very intelligent lyrics.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2007, 12:07 am

Bigbang wrote:
Oh, and if you like both the aggressive and experimental sound of Tool, go get King Crimson's album The Power to Believe RIGHT NOW! I know some of their newest material is similar too, but I havent checked it yet.

Ugh! You've got me wanting to hear this and no one has audio - not Amazon, not any place I can find. If you can find a link to real audio of this let me know.

Bigbang
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Oct 2007, 1:56 pm

I've got you way better than 30 sec. samples ; this is King Crimson live (all those songs are from The Power to Believe). Notice the instrument of the guy on the left : this is called a Warr Guitar... it has 12 to 15 strings, and its sound is described as a guitar which emulates a synth, which emulates a guitar. Ain't that cool? Also, one thing I didn't like much on these live versions are the lead vocals, which sounded a bit ackward to me at times ; those are much better on the record.

The record is mainly experimental, but with amazing distorted guitar parts. Not fully "agressive" (Robert Fripp is 60 something after all), but still amazing! If you don't find this multi-layered, we definitly don't have the same definition of that term.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9ZRjsUzuHQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHfPT74_kPs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT70y89zJGQ

[edit] Those are the main songs of the record, as they are more down to the core. In between those are what I would describe as "fillers" ; not fillers in the sense that they lack any inspiration, but as they let you wander around with less electric guitars and more digital sounds. I couldnt get any sample of these. The production of the whole record is similar to what Pink Floyd could do. Some fully experimental songs with some standups, all intertwined in a cool manner.

[edit] Okay, here's an example of their more experimental sounding, from the same record.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k32dxvihwVY

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2007, 5:58 pm

Aradford wrote:
Check out CKY - rocking and very intelligent lyrics.

One thing I do about what I was listening to em is they've got a real steady groove and the vocalist matches the instruments real well - but the lyrical style still kinda throws me a little.

Bigbang
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Oct 2007, 2:02 pm

So, what were your thoughts about King Crimson?

Bigbang
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Oct 2007, 2:02 pm

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2007, 7:29 pm

Bigbang wrote:

Well, I respect it and all but its still not really my sort of thing. I may have to hear it a bit more at length but overall its something I'd probably enjoy from someone else's cd player.

Bigbang
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Oct 2007, 9:23 pm

Well I can't force you to like it :cry: . The album is better than these live recordings thought. Do you like The Pixies? This band might be worth a try if you like the alternative music of the 90s. Most of their records were released during the 80s, but about every alternative band of the 90s cited them as an influence...