Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2004, 2:12 pm

magic wrote:
Quite oddly, I find some unnerving situations very funny. For example, when everything goes wrong, I get into fantastic mood and start laughing and joking, to amazement and exasperation of others. (I mean situations like this: car breaks in the middle of nowhere, the thunderstorm approaches and it starts to rain, someone develops stomach problems and another person a migraine, the only cellphone gets broken, and wild animals are attacking us). :D

Hm... well next time this happens, you can tell your friends this:

In many folktales and beliefs, fairies or spirits cause strings of bad luck, like what you've described above. The remedy for this problem: Laughter. You are either supposed to do something so absurd that it amuses the faires/spirits and they leave you alone, or you are supposed to laugh, because it frightens them away (it depends on what type of spirit it is. If they are tricksters they are thought to be playing mean jokes on you for their amusement, and if you satisfy them by making a fool of yourself, they'll leave you be. If they are mean-spirited spirits (sorry for the pun) then laughter and good humor bothers them and frightens them away).

magic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2004, 2:36 pm

Civet wrote:
In many folktales and beliefs, fairies or spirits cause strings of bad luck, like what you've described above. The remedy for this problem: Laughter.

Civet, that's a very good idea! "I laugh to confuse spirits that are making the mischief." Not only will people stop looking at me as I was out of my mind, but it would likely lift their moods and diffuse tense situation. I must try to remember it, thanks!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2004, 10:07 pm

I found some stuff that will get us all laughing at http//www.smilepop.com :lol:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2004, 10:08 pm

I found some stuff that will get us all laughing at http://www.smilepop.com :lol:

Elfie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Aug 2004, 7:28 pm

My flatmates last year used to give me a lecture whenever I laughed without explaining why. Either I didn't know why I was laughing or I was just laughing at myself but they'd always say "You shouldn't laugh and then not tell people what you're laughing about" and then they'd pester me about it. Even if I knew why I was laughing I couldn't explain it but "You know it's not about you" didn't seem to be a valid answer.

I also laugh at things people don't notice like logical or grammatical errors. This would isolate me further at primary school. I'd be laughing because on the way to school I saw a man throwing things on a bonfire in the middle of a field while dressed in a suit. To me this was impractical and thus hilarious.

TenebraruM
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Aug 2004, 7:45 pm

Quote:
I also laugh at things people don't notice like logical or grammatical errors. This would isolate me further at primary school. I'd be laughing because on the way to school I saw a man throwing things on a bonfire in the middle of a field while dressed in a suit. To me this was impractical and thus hilarious.

Indeed. Illogical actions and things don't make sense, so the natural reaction is to laugh - they are funny.

I beleive when someone is laughing at another maliciously, they stare incessantly into their eyes, with their back never turned on that person, as if to defend against retaliation. If One (namely you in this case) isn't paying attention to a peer, then you shouldn't be causing an insult.

Then again, this could all be to do with that pointless, horid "gossip" nature.

Argh there's nothing I can't stand more than gossip & gossip attitudes :evil:

Mindless lifeless no-brainers *cusses*

mjtvt
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Aug 2004, 11:13 am

kevtufc wrote:
I often laugh at innapropriate times. I remember when I was at school, if I got in trouble and was being told off I used to find it really difficult not to laugh or at least grin.

Needless to say that tended to get me into more trouble.

Even now, any situation that requires seriousness often makes me want to laugh out loud although I've (mostly) learned to supress it.

I do this all the time as well and it always gets me in much more trouble. Whether it be someone interigating me about whether I took or know where something of their's /is or if I'm being lectured....I just can't help laughing my _ss off. Of course then they think I did it or aren't taking the lecture seriously and get even more punishment. At least I finally know it isn't just me that does it.

jasonmc
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Aug 2004, 3:47 pm

When I had a job I'd always kinda get lost in my own world and start daydreaming.. I have to, I can't handle doing repetitive tasks.. it's too mind numbing. Sometimes when I'm doing that I'll laugh or smile for no reason, a few times someone pointed it out... a girl asked me why am I always smiling, am I thinking of something that makes me happy?

Fiddler
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Sep 2004, 2:52 pm

When I think/daydream (I do this a lot), I often burst into laughter and (try to repress it) because I come across a funny idea or a funny memory, or something very unrealistic. And though people say I don't smile enough! :D .They think I feel sad or deppressed. "Is anything wrong? are you all right?" I 'm constantly asked.
This amazes me!

I also laugh at inappropriate times. For exemple a friend of my parents came to our home once. She told us she was getting a divorce and burst into tears while I burst into laughter. Same when I'm told someone I know has passed away, or when someone scolds me or somebody else. Some people think I am mad.

Quote:
From TenebraruM:

Do you "space out" all the time, reliving past moments, and occasionally wake up with a sense of urgency, laughter or strong emotion?

Yes I do.

Last edited by Fiddler on 02 Sep 2004, 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

hilarythebaker
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Sep 2004, 4:02 pm

When I get going and think something is VERY funny, I'll have this really peculiar laugh that almost looks as if I am crying. When I was in Culinary School, this chef I had used to get really worried whenever I started laughing very hard. He always asked if I was laughing or crying!

It also can take me awhile to stop laughing, like I was trying to figure out what was so funny in the first place, and then I finally figured out the humor.

I don't usually laugh at inappropriate times, however.

Kofeinik
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Sep 2004, 9:59 pm

Yes, I do. My father is always a bit confused when we have a "serious" conversation and I start laughing out loud. It usually happens when I think of something much more profound (like the latest achievements in science or something similar) and it is not relevant to the actual talk. Interestingly, it seems to happen only if my father (or uncle) is around.

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2004, 8:31 pm

Yes. I have a habit of laughing when other people have been hurt (physically) or are crying. I have no idea why. I also laugh when I feel awkward, nervous, as though someone is mad at me (obviously, this doesn't help the situation at all), if I have to bring up a subject that is unpleasant or that I am afraid to speak of, or that is painful or emotional for me.

Example:

Her: That's a nice dress! (The dress is black).
Me: Oh, yes. My best fried is dying of cancer and I needed a black dress for his funeral! Hahahahaha......
Her: That isn't funny!
Me:Looks at her:

Of course it wasn't funny. I laugh when things seems emotional. I think this may be because I honestly do not know what to do with feelings when I have them, or how to react to them.

I also start laughing due to quirky thoughts or for odd reasons, that I cannot explain. Most people ignore it after they become unsatisfied with my inadequate explanations.

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2004, 3:01 pm

Fiddler wrote:
When I think/daydream (I do this a lot), I often burst into laughter and (try to repress it) because I come across a funny idea or a funny memory, or something very unrealistic. And though people say I don't smile enough! :D .They think I feel sad or deppressed. "Is anything wrong? are you all right?" I 'm constantly asked.
This amazes me!

This is a daily occurance for me (for the same reasons) but, yes, I try to repress it, but why? What harm does it do? Others get pleasure from ripping off, or belittleing others, or writing graffiti, or even provoking fights but it's "normal" and so more or less tolerated; but have a solo chuckle which harms no one or nothing? "Man, these people gorra be told they are weird!"

gabe29980
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Oct 2004, 2:43 pm

I have a similar problem. I'm extremely ticklish--painfully so. If someone touches me on my bare skin, I either flinch, or burst out laughing. This has proved to be a serious barrier to any sort of intimacy, romantic or otherwise. Being touched on clothes is OK, as long as it's pretty forceful, but skin...ugh. I also tend to become seriously incontinent when I start laughing. It probably has to do with the whole Asperger-ish hypersensitivity.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2004, 10:45 am

The most awkward moment I laugh at is when I lie, which is not something I do very often at all (partially because I tend to laugh when I lie). As a child, my mother could always tell when I was lying by my laugh, or at least my smirk as I was trying to hold back laughing. I most certainly do not laugh when making nonhumorous posts on the Internet, however.

Young_fogey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Oct 2004, 7:29 pm

Civet wrote:
I will also laugh at things that I find find a lot later than is normal- I will laugh right after I hear it, and then a minute or so later, may start laughing again. Or, I will be thinking about something I found funny, and just randomly burst out laughing.

I did that a lot until I was in my late teens.

Now I know why!