Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

caramateo
Toucan
Toucan

24 Oct 2007, 8:33 pm

I mean adults
not Asperger Girls. I'm looking for a book that offers advice from the point of view of a woman.
I read a few autobiographies by women, but they're not what I'm looking for.
Anyone knows?

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 8:46 pm

I dunno, the only books I could find at my local library are biographical:

Finding a Different Kind of Normal by Jeanette Purkis

Solutions for adults with asperger syndrome : maximising the benefits, minimizing the drawbacks to achieve success by Juanita P Lovett

The stolen child : aspects of autism and Asperger syndrome by Ann Hewetson

On sabbatical...

singularitymadam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: I live in a Mad Max movie. It's not as fun as it sounds.

24 Oct 2007, 9:29 pm

Pretending to be Normal by Liane Holliday Willey is the best one I have found. She writes from the point of view of both a woman growing up with it, a mother of a girl with Asperger's, and even includes a list of advice for people who have to deal with us. My neuropsychologist recommended it, but I had already borrowed it from the library :)
The first part is understandably whiny, but the rest is worthwhile.
(edited for stupidly written html tag)

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

24 Oct 2007, 9:46 pm

I was going to recommend the one by Liane Holliday Willey. You can also check out her web site at http://www.aspie.com. (Though there doesn't appear to be much information there.)

I'd also recommend Jen Birch's memoir Congratulations, It's Asperger Syndrome (sic). ((Amazon.com link. This is a very detailed account of the author's quirky life before diagnosis. I'll warn you that it is not pretty in some parts and involves some very heart-breaking/mature subjects. But it may not be what you're looking for, as it is autobiographical in nature.

Our own TheWhale (Jerry Newport) has a book called Your Life is Not a Label, in which his wife Mary speaks a great deal on what it is like to be a woman with AS. I found the book helpful and interesting. Together they also wrote Autism-Asperger's & Sexuality, which I have not yet read.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 11:27 pm

A jolly fine subject ! !

Why don't you 'interview' some of the women on this site, and start typing ???

Belle77
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 11:39 pm

Quote:
Solutions for adults with asperger syndrome : maximising the benefits, minimizing the drawbacks to achieve success by Juanita P Lovett

I've read this one. It's pretty good, but mostly talks about men.

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2007, 4:25 am

I've just finished reading a great book called "Women from Another Planet" it is a collection of writings by women on the spectrum talking about their experiences of autism / AS and their lives.

SleepyDragon
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2007, 12:02 am

Belle77 wrote:
Quatermass wrote:

I've read this one. It's pretty good, but mostly talks about men.

I was eyeing that title on Amazon.com with a view to buying it. But like the man said, women hold up half the sky. If the notion of "success" doesn't include fairer dealing with other women, I'll pass.

Prof_Pretorius wrote:

Some women (and men!) on this site ARE doing some typing, as a matter of fact. :)

caramateo
Toucan
Toucan

26 Oct 2007, 9:42 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
A jolly fine subject ! !

never did good at typing, but thanks for the suggestion.

ooohprettycolors
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Nov 2007, 9:37 am

girl7000 wrote:
I've just finished reading a great book called "Women from Another Planet" it is a collection of writings by women on the spectrum talking about their experiences of autism / AS and their lives.

I really enjoyed this book. I highly recommend it to all AS women.

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2007, 4:04 am

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
A jolly fine subject ! !

A reviewer on Amazon says it best "A few years ago there were not enough books on autism, now there are too many to choose from."

It has definitely been a niche that has exploded. At this point I think it's a good thing to have so many choices finally.

By the way, this one was the one that really hit home for me. Lots of similar experiences that I could relate to:

Pretending to Be Normal: Living With Asperger's Syndrome (Paperback)
by Liane Holliday Willey

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2007, 5:32 am

One of the most important things to remember about Aspie women is we tend to define "success" as personal fulfilment rather than as financial wealth and social popularity.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

Belle77
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2007, 5:37 pm

earthmom wrote:
By the way, this one was the one that really hit home for me. Lots of similar experiences that I could relate to:

Pretending to Be Normal: Living With Asperger's Syndrome (Paperback)
by Liane Holliday Willey

I just ordered this one because I've heard such good things about it.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 3:14 am

[quote="Quatermass"Solutions for adults with asperger syndrome : maximising the benefits, minimizing the drawbacks to achieve success by Juanita P Lovett[/quote]

Didn't like this one very much. Seemed like it was more for helping NT spouses and family members 'deal' with their terrible aspie burdens.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 3:15 am

girl7000 wrote:

Liked this one very much. Although some of it seems foriegn to me, there were far more 'yes!' and 'oh, someone else does this too!' moments than the average read.

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 4:58 am

LKL wrote:
[quote="Quatermass"Solutions for adults with asperger syndrome : maximising the benefits, minimizing the drawbacks to achieve success by Juanita P Lovett

Didn't like this one very much. Seemed like it was more for helping NT spouses and family members 'deal' with their terrible aspie burdens.[/quote]
\
Oh good grief - we don't need any more of THAT kind of stuff out there!!