Do you ever feel the presence of God or someone else who isn

Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 10:35 pm

't actually there in person?

Once at Bible camp when I was 12, when we went on a trip into a town to a church, and we were singing and listening to sermons, I tried to feel the presence of God and suddenly I felt it. I may be insane, yes!

Another time before that, when I was 10, I prayed for signs that God existed. I then went outside, shortly after my grandmother died, and looked up into the sky at the pink and orange light (it was twilight but it was almost like a hole in the sky with that light coming out) and I felt this overwhelming presence of God that made me giddy, and I wasn't afraid that someone would come and grab me and slit my throat or anything, I was high and didn't care and felt that it would be okay; I'd go to heaven if that happened, or God would save me some other way. I also felt that God had saved my grandmother and she was up in heaven, beyond the pink and orange light. I had a bit of a low afterwards doubting it, but I didn't really.

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 10:42 pm

I've felt his presence. And seen his miracles, and questioned him when I didn't see his miracles.Well if you don't ask how can you get an answer?

Kamex
Raven
Raven

24 Oct 2007, 11:49 pm

I'm not Christian anymore, but I used to be when I was younger. We'd go to Church every Sunday, and every time, this feeling would overwhelm me. It was a warm, fuzzy feeling, that made me significantly less aware of the world around me. Occasionally, it made me cry, and I would pray. Because most of the service involved singing, I assumed it was related to this.

A while after 9/11, a Muslim mosque invited a bunch of Christian homeschoolers to witness their service. All it was was chanting in a foreign language. There was no such music, and yet, when the service started, I felt the same overwhelming feeling. This particular instance of it was so powerful that I started crying and immediately sat down, hands folded, and started praying. I was afraid they'd be offended by this, but I was completely powerless to do anything else. Luckily, there were too busy to notice, though I would assume the tears streaming down my face would have been enough for them to know I wasn't trying to be a problem.

Looking at all of this with a scientific mind, I still find it hard to believe it was some kind of subjectivity that caused it. Prior to the incident, I was actually quite turned-off by Islam, so I wasn't feeling this just because I wanted to. There's really something to this.

The only time I've felt this way outside of a holy service is in two of the few times I've actually prayed to GOD alone. I've heard Its voice in my head, answering my questions in both cases. I think it's sad I don't have much time for GOD anymore. I'm too busy with all my pointless stuff and I've lost touch with my spiritual side. I keep thinking I should get back into it, but it's hard when I can't drive and have no one willing to take me to church. I'm not sure I'd really even feel comfortable in a church anymore. I'm just too different from any form of organized religion now to really belong anywhere.

I'm getting that feeling again...

thyme
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2007, 12:06 am

Once they invited this singer to sing at my church. She sang the song We Shall Behold Him and when I closed my eyes I could see what she was singing in my mind's eye like a vision. It was so beautiful it brought tears to my eyes.
Another time these girls from another church came for a bible study and after we prayed and sang together and I closed my eyes again and their voices sounded like angels. So I opened my eyes and saw this light all around them.

Yog-Sothoth
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2007, 12:46 am

If you believe in something, then of coarse you will start to feel like its real.
Don't you think the ancient Egyptians felt the presence of their gods? Almost all religions are like that, but they all worship different gods, and if your god says "thou shall have no false gods before me" or something like that, then where is the feeling coming from?
Its called your brain! You have no idea how powerful the human mind really is.

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2007, 12:47 am

Yog-Sothoth wrote:
If you believe in something, then of coarse you will start to feel like its real.
Don't you think the ancient Egyptians felt the presence of their gods? Almost all religions are like that, but they all worship different gods, and if your god says "thou shall have no false gods before me" or something like that, then where is the feeling coming from?

I totally felt Zeus the other night.

Kamex
Raven
Raven

25 Oct 2007, 1:02 am

Yog-Sothoth wrote:

Like I said, I really didn't care for Islam, and this experience is what changed my mind. If it was something I was thinking up or imagining, it would only appear when I expected/wanted it to.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2007, 1:28 am

When I was being bullied at school I felt drawn to read the Bible and it gave me some
comfort.Now I feel like I sometimes see signs from God,like when coincidences occur that
seem highly improbable.I've often started thinking about people I haven't seen for a while and
then I bump into them by chance.

IpsoRandomo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Oct 2007, 1:45 am

No, I think it's all in your head.

In fact, I seriously don't see how anyone can be religious (not meaning to offend, but I am literally astounded that religion exists at all). I think religion is some bizarre and unfortunate byproduct of human evolution.

Last edited by IpsoRandomo on 25 Oct 2007, 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yog-Sothoth
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2007, 1:47 am

Kalister1 wrote:
I totally felt Zeus the other night.

I thought I felt the divine presence of Cthulhu a while ago. Turns out, it was just a squid choking me.
Kamex wrote:
Like I said, I really didn't care for Islam, and this experience is what changed my mind. If it was something I was thinking up or imagining, it would only appear when I expected/wanted it to.

Like I said, you have no idea how powerful the human mind really is. More powerful than any god . . . except Odin. Cause hes a viking.
Feelings don't prove anything, coincidences don't prove anything. I get all kinds of strange feelings I can't explain, like when I listen to music I really like, I feel things that I can't put into words.
Out of all the gods throughout history, everybody has felt one of them, christians aren't the only people to ever get a mysterious feeling that they think is proof of god. Do you think all those gods were real too then?

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

25 Oct 2007, 1:49 am

Yog-Sothoth wrote:

Agreed.

The need for a "reason" to keep on enduring the weariness of day-to-day life is incredibly powerful.

Yog-Sothoth
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2007, 2:37 am

My "reason" is to be the most Viking motherf***ker alive!
Vikings fight to the end, endure all pain and never give up, thats me!

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2007, 2:40 am

No

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

25 Oct 2007, 2:53 am

Yog-Sothoth wrote:
My "reason" is to be the most Viking motherf***ker alive!
Vikings fight to the end, endure all pain and never give up, thats me!

That's considerably more swashbuckling than my reason:

I simply haven't anything better to do at the moment. :P

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2007, 2:57 am

I used to stare in the sun when i was a kid.. And God used to talk to me.. He told me things, but those things are personal. So, yeah. :wink:

Yog-Sothoth
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2007, 2:59 am

YEEEAAAHH, VIKING FOR LIFE!! !
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy1Z53gOE-E[/youtube]
Odin kicks your weak christian god's ass!