Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

WaterCarrier
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Nov 2007, 9:03 am

I know there's a reason for these *disorders* and I know it's all for the best and for my own growth and to move beyond it and above it - and to heal. It's a very tough road. I don't wish it on anyone. I can't believe anyone would wish disorders on themselves. Would they also wish to have limbs amputated? Living without a liver? Why are psychological illnesses any different than physical? Because you can hide them better? Trust me. You can't hide them for long. In society - sooner or later they will always surface and the ill will always be exposed. You can't hide from this and I think it's better not to anyway. In my family of origin - everything that was *unpleasant* was swept under the rug and never talked about. That's what made everybody crazy! The sheer repression of it all.

I'm just into healing now. Nothing else matters. I don't want to hurt anyone and I don't want to be hurt in return. Enough blood has been shed and so many tears cried. I'm getting stronger but also getting weaker. Just breaking even. I hope everyone will find their answers to healing from whatever ails them. And find happiness - be happy!

criss
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2007, 10:53 am

that's really beautiful, thank you for sharing that. do you right poems, or draw from any spiritual tradition?

"We are here on earth for a little space to learn to bear the beams of love." (William Blake)

Thank God for science, but feed me poetry please, as I am one that desires the meal & not the menu. (My own)

Angelus-Mortis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Nov 2007, 10:56 am

Well, the only reason autism or Aspergers is treated as something that "must" be healed is because it's been given the label, "disorder". However, this is a rather narrow-minded and inaccurate way of describing autism, since you can't accurately describe this "disorder" in just one word. Autism may mean we are less capable of doing certain things than other people are, but in our own ways, we have our own advantages. And it is these advantages that you do not need to be cured of. In deciding whether or not you wish to be healed of something, there must exist a means for which you can be healed, and you should know whether or not being healed of this would be beneficial for you--whether or not you are being healed and losing advantages, or being healed and gaining advantages. Or possibly both, and whether you can cope with that.

By the way, there are some advantages to losing an eye or an arm. If you lose your right eye, and you're strongly left brained, you will begin to use your right brain more, and it will become more developed. If you lose your right arm, and you write with it, you'll begin to learn to use your left arm more. Of course, these things can be achieved with a blindfold or simply using the other hand more often.

Arbitraris id veneficium quod te ludificat. Arbitror id formam quod intellego.

Ignorationi est non medicina.

Sorenzo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Nov 2007, 10:12 pm

I don't think that was beautiful at all. Definately not poetry. I should know, I am a poet.

Asperger's Syndrome is not a disorder, it's definately not an illness. It's a neural deficiency that alters a person's personality, brain, and the ability to learn certain skills.

There is no cure, and the closest thing to it is death. Is it worth it? That's up to each of us to decide. No one else. In either case, changing a person's basic brain functioning is essentially damaging his personality. In most cases the result would be negative. Even if you could change a person's neurons and repair them, you wouldn't have a different personality. You'd still be behind in social skills because the neurons don't influence your social skills, they influence your ABILITY TO LEARN SOCIAL SKILLS. The only rational thing you can to to deal with Asperger's Syndrome is to learn how to live without fully developed social skills. For most people who don't get penalized by society, that works out well.

Anyone who says it is an illness is confusing it with something else, like depression or social isolation. Or is simply too narrowminded to understand that "different" is not "worse".

IT MAKES ME SICK that people with ASD are forced to believe they're wrong. There's absolutely nothing to fix, nothing to heal, nothing to change except for that which broadens the minds of society to allow neurodiversity on an equal scale.

NO rational person would blame an Afro-American for having dark skin. NO rational person would blame a Muslim for excercizing his beliefs. NO rational person would blame a Chinese man for being born in China. So WHY should a rational person (NT or otherwise) even be ALLOWED to think he can blame someone with ASD for having slightly different neurons? It makes me sick!

And for the record, evolution happens through mutations which turn out to be beneficial. Would you prevent humanity from reaching new levels of existence or cultural superiority because you'd rather burn those who are different at the proverbial social stake?

I hope you don't take offense at this response. I just get angry sitting here for hours reading about people who just can't accept their own personalities! Please, PLEASE, stop being self destructive and embrace that which will always be your only link to reality and fantasy alike - your SELF.

Angelus-Mortis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Nov 2007, 10:35 pm

To be more precise about evolution though, the bulk of it happens through genetic recombination, namely, reproduction and shuffling of genes that happen through that process, though that doesn't mean mutations are useless. Though "mutation" is really better put into the context of environmental adaptation; a mutation may make you more adapted to an environment, though that same mutation could make you less adapted in another environment. However, using evolution is not a means to justify morality or whether or not we should live or die--that's only an explanation that explains the current diversity of life as we see it now. Also notice that natural selection barely works on humans. There are plenty of other disabled or otherwise disordered people besides Aspies, if you wish to call them such (I wouldn't) that still survive that shouldn't survive normally--they would have been selected out naturally if it weren't for technology or science.

Although I would definitely agree that new levels of science or technology might be attained if Aspies were allowed to learn and research science, and their ideas or beings were accepted.

etg1701

03 Nov 2007, 10:41 pm

Quote:
IT MAKES ME SICK that people with ASD are forced to believe they're wrong. There's absolutely nothing to fix, nothing to heal, nothing to change except for that which broadens the minds of society to allow neurodiversity on an equal scale.

It isn't simply a question of accepting differences. The fact remains that autistics quite often fail to succeed in life because of their respective conditions and usually depend heavily on the support of society to stay alive. What should we call that if not some kind of disorder?

Quote:
NO rational person would blame an Afro-American for having dark skin. NO rational person would blame a Muslim for excercizing his beliefs. NO rational person would blame a Chinese man for being born in China. So WHY should a rational person (NT or otherwise) even be ALLOWED to think he can blame someone with ASD for having slightly different neurons? It makes me sick!

A poor comparison given that ethnic features do not include extreme difficulty in social interaction or similar handicaps.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

03 Nov 2007, 11:19 pm

WaterCarrier wrote:
Nothing else matters.

you better listen to a man who knows what hes saying!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgiGrXpOhYg

jazzguy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Nov 2007, 11:34 pm

I'm not sure that AS is something to "heal" from any more than having red hair is. It's just who you are. I mean, AS is not a wound. It's a condition that can be dealt with, right? Okay, you HAVE to deal with it, while most people just go through life without having to deal with anything except the usual boring s**t, but that's just the way the cards were dealt.
By the way, here, take a card. Keep it, I've got 51 more.

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2007, 7:52 am

`

Sorenzo wrote:
I don't think that was beautiful at all. Definately not poetry. I should know, I am a poet.

LOL.

Angelus-Mortis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Nov 2007, 1:57 pm

etg1701 wrote:
Quote:

It isn't simply a question of accepting differences. The fact remains that autistics quite often fail to succeed in life because of their respective conditions and usually depend heavily on the support of society to stay alive. What should we call that if not some kind of disorder?

Because society is ignorant to the merits of people with AS. They only fail to live with other people who don't understand them, namely other people who don't have AS. If an AS society existed, people with AS would exist just fine. The only problem is in the kind of society that we live in--an ignorant one. I still think that if society could be less ignorant and people less foolish about rational things, they could have advanced much further than what we have now.

Quote:
Quote:

A poor comparison given that ethnic features do not include extreme difficulty in social interaction or similar handicaps.

That's not quite true. Black people in America have been shunned for quite awhile, and it still exists to some degree. Granted, this doesn't happen to black people in their own country, but this is an example of where it could cause a difficulty in social interaction--basically, if there is someone who is different from the other "normal" people in some way or form, society acts irrationally about it and may cause difficulties in social interaction with the said person.

etg1701

04 Nov 2007, 6:48 pm

Quote:
Because society is ignorant to the merits of people with AS. They only fail to live with other people who don't understand them, namely other people who don't have AS. If an AS society existed, people with AS would exist just fine. The only problem is in the kind of society that we live in--an ignorant one. I still think that if society could be less ignorant and people less foolish about rational things, they could have advanced much further than what we have now.

And what merits would those be, aside from the rare cases of autistic savants?

Quote:
That's not quite true. Black people in America have been shunned for quite awhile, and it still exists to some degree. Granted, this doesn't happen to black people in their own country, but this is an example of where it could cause a difficulty in social interaction--basically, if there is someone who is different from the other "normal" people in some way or form, society acts irrationally about it and may cause difficulties in social interaction with the said person.

But nothing about black people makes them inherently disadvantaged. What you describe stems from racist attitudes of society at large and not to anything intrinsically disabling in a given ethnicity or race.