Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sally
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Nov 2007, 11:20 am

i hate them! why are people letting them off already, it is only thw 2nd & it isnt even dark yet & someone is letting them off outside my house. i am going out later which is going to be even worse as even more will probably be let off. anyone else still hate fireworks? does anyone have any advice for how to deal with them?

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Nov 2007, 11:21 am

hmmm... as a kid, i hated them, they scared me to death, as an adult, i love them.

November 2nd?? What is the occasion? Guy should save his fireworks for new years er somethin/

Sally
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Nov 2007, 11:24 am

its bonfire night on the 5th (monday) but i think this is probably just a kid messing around

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 11:56 am

I just love all manor of pyrotechnics :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 12:00 pm

Someone was letting off a string of firecrackers Halloween night... I DO NOT like noisy fireworks.

I think some of the showy ones are kinda cool, but I'm not into fireworks.

I do some every year with my daughter, and I wind up having to light most of them because she still doesn't like using matches/fire.

Once she's out on her own, I'll go back to avoiding fireworks. I don't even like to go see the huge displays put on by the town North of me, or even when we were in NYC and Macy's (I believe), was shooting off HUGE stuff.
I went, but it was only because everyone else was going and I didn't want to be a party-pooper.
Plus, we weren't going to be very close to them, so the noise wasn't going to be that big of a deal.
I wasn't too crazy about getting into a huge crowd of people though, but that turned out okay as well.

Sorenzo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Nov 2007, 12:14 pm

I think fireworks are nice on New Year's Eve, they're a kind of communication between the people who celebrate. It feels more organized, more global, when everyone have something in common when they celebrate.

That said, I think they're noisy and I don't like when me or my family is near them because I don't want them to get hurt... I think one day a year is enough, and I only like the kinds that blow up AFTER they get off the ground. Everything else is just a crude fascination with explosives, I assume... :?

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 12:19 pm

Sally wrote:
i hate them! why are people letting them off already, it is only thw 2nd & it isnt even dark yet & someone is letting them off outside my house. i am going out later which is going to be even worse as even more will probably be let off. anyone else still hate fireworks? does anyone have any advice for how to deal with them?

it's because they are selfish gits,there is no other reason for setting them off in complete daylight [and in the morning,afternoon etc] as they cannot be seen.
fireworks also get used by some muslims to celebrate festivals now,and some get hold of them to use for birthdays and such-so they are used a lot more and it's extreme torture to anyone who has sensitive hearing and sensory processing problem combo fireworks are also unpredictible to which is another problem auties and aspies can have with noise,and some non autists on the ouch forum were discussing how fireworks really messes with their startle reflexes-fireworks are really not fair on people at all as they are used in small,packed contained residential areas and are forced on people.
they should be banned for use by regular people [they have been using them since at least september already near am],but.....have organised,safe displays in wide,open green spaces [eg,a park,some field etc]-keep them out of residential areas.
not only does it affect people but animals to,the noise can be just as much torture to them due to their accute and sensitive hearing ability,many animals need sedatives around bonfire night and are completely disrupted.

Sally,
am understand well about this problem as am affected accutely by them to,like to think of them as sound torture.
have been having firework induced meltdowns almost everyday for a while and there are teenagers walking around throwing lit fireworks,hoping no one injures any animals this year with fireworks.
am very desperate and had got several big bottles of bacardi breezer orange for monday/bonfire night [was going to have alcohol,and a couple of prescribed tylex co-codamol [morphine-like] painkillers to get as mentally numb as possible,nearly every other years' bonfire night has ended with day long multiple agonising MDs so want to get through it as quick and as painlessly as possible.
dad came up with a better idea-he suggested he take am to the trafford centre,
which is bad in terms of people caused noise,but is more easily controlled with the earplugs+eardefenders combo,
the trafford centre is not next to any houses,so will not be affected by them and outside noise is very protected against-do happen to be near the trafford centre,Sally? or somewhere else like it? that might be something worth trying.

am recommend getting a pair of soft earplugs,and padded eardefenders at the least-can get the ear defenders from various places including builders shops,and diy shops like bnq.

kittenfluffies
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 12:41 pm

Fireworks are beautiful, but they scare me - they always have. I can only watch them from a distance.

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 2:10 pm

Can be scary but beautiful indeed--- I think tigers are beautiful, too. But they ARE dangerous, as well!
We actually bought some for Independence Day and let them off ( carefully, with a long lighter and standing face-away and far from the house) and they were pretty. Care must be taken with them, though--- every year some drunk fools blow up a hand or two, or small kids get a hold of them.

Shadowbound
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Nov 2007, 2:59 pm

I love fireworks over the weekend I'll walk about and see if I can find a free display. :D

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 3:02 pm

i love the way fireworks look, different patterns, different colors, i get so excited but if im too close like near where their shooting it off, then the noise bothers me...

steff

02 Nov 2007, 3:14 pm

loud banging ones make my ears hurt i dont understand why everyone loves the noise!! !! !
steff x

Kurt
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Nov 2007, 3:24 pm

I can't deal with loud noise of any kind. It seems like its going-off right next to my head. Makes me anxious and panicky.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 6:24 pm

They're an irritant but fortunately we only get them round these parts a few days a year. Still a few days too many mind you...

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 6:50 pm

Tequila wrote:
They're an irritant but fortunately we only get them round these parts a few days a year. Still a few days too many mind you...

is that in a hill/countryside part of Lancashire or more town like [can't think of anything other to call it]?

desperate to move to countryside,to think how easy and sensory friendly it is there.

Sally
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Nov 2007, 6:52 pm

thanks for the advice, i will try to get some ear plugs before monday