When did you make your first friend(s)?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2005, 11:30 pm

I made my first friends in the 6th grade(I was 12 then).I made 3 new friends.By the time I was in 7th grade I had around 20 friends.So how 'bout y'all?

:D SpaceCase :D

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2005, 12:03 am

7th grade, I was also 12.

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2005, 12:30 am

I had a friend in elementary school who was in my Gifted Class. I was somewhat friends with his friend. Then they stopped associating with me when we got to High School because I wasn't cool enough.

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2005, 12:49 am

I made my first friend when I was 4. We were like sisters for years and years, until we were 13 but then she decided to betray me in the worst way she ever could have. Since then I have had no friends. I have tried to edge towards friendship with other people, but I have yet to suceed in actually making a friend<sigh>

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2005, 1:21 am

Do online friends count?

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2005, 2:54 am

Sean wrote:
Do online friends count?

Yeah, I guess they would probably count. Well, anyways, I made my first real friend when I was in kindergarten, but then she broke up with me the same year; then, I made my first real friend in seventh grade. It all depends on what your definition of friend is I guess.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

childofalessergod
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Aug 2005, 3:07 am

I started late in comparison, not making friends until the end of 9th grade. At least that's what I want to believe, I still haven't the slightest clue what a "friend" really is. I at least know in 9th grade that I met someone who was interested in my presence and vice versa...but that doesn't sound like a good definition of a friend.

BTW, aspie, where in Washington are you from? I apologize if I sound like an online stalker or something but I'd like to know a little more about you if you're anywhere close to where I'm from.

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2005, 3:34 am

I live around the Olympia area, but I don't want to say exactly where because there may be other people who are online stalkers, and I don't want people stalking me or anything (not say that you are a stalker, just saying the internet is a huge place with lots of people).

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2005, 4:02 am

1989 when I was in third grade.

It was in the earlier part of the year. The coolest kid in class decided I should be a part of his inner circle. Since he was the athletic type and I wasn't, my main role was more or less a side show for them at recess. I however gained enough exposure.

In the fall of 1988, I started to break out of my shell, the previous three years my ventures with others at recess were there. I would often do what they did, but I would rarely interact directly with anyone. For awhile in second grade I spent recesses and lunch with a third grader named mitch who was an outcast.

By the fall of 1988 I had taken a more active role in recess. My attempts could be best described as crude. One day I went up to a kid and threw him down in the mud becasue I had seen others do it as a way of interacting with each other. This, and many other things I did that year wound me up in the office.

However, the patriarch of my third grade class decided to take favor in me and invited me into his inner circle. By the end of the year, I had three other kids in my class who I called friends.

A few years later I told my mom I was finally glad I had friends. Her response.

Quote:
Scott... you don't have friends, you never had friends. What you have are not quite friends, but acquaintances.

Boy did that steam me! I could always count on my mom to ruin any good thoughts I had going.

NYAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2005, 9:42 am

I made my first significant amount of friends when I was in the third grade. I was in what was called a "Learning Concepts Class" and was gradually mainstreamed into other teachers' classrooms. Who knew by the time I reached high school I would be amongst the popular kids in school (without ever playing a sport or being a class president, mind you.)

Last edited by NYAspie on 21 Aug 2005, 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Purplefluffychainsaw
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2005, 10:59 am

Umm... First friend was Kate, that was in year four, so when I was 9. But she died when I was 10, and I didn't make any more friends until Leo in year eight, when I was 12.

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2005, 11:26 am

childofalessergod wrote:
I at least know in 9th grade that I met someone who was interested in my presence and vice versa...but that doesn't sound like a good definition of a friend.

Why not? It was the definition I used. If you count people who tolerate your presence because you're such-and-such's sister, or because you were assigned to the same group, or because you're too shy to tell them you dread them being around, I've had friends since age 3 or 4.

childofalessergod
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Aug 2005, 12:38 pm

pyraxis wrote:
childofalessergod wrote:
I at least know in 9th grade that I met someone who was interested in my presence and vice versa...but that doesn't sound like a good definition of a friend.

Why not? It was the definition I used. If you count people who tolerate your presence because you're such-and-such's sister, or because you were assigned to the same group, or because you're too shy to tell them you dread them being around, I've had friends since age 3 or 4.

The definition just sounds so superficial...sounds a little more superficial given your example. There are lots of people who tolerate my presence who I've never cared about a day in my life.

I had a lightbulb go off as I typed that...9th grade was the first time I truly cared for someone, and maybe that's why I use that as a basis. It's just that I treasure caring enough that I often forget to think about it when it comes to thinking about friendship.

Still, even THAT sounds superficial...friendship can't be THAT simple...can it?

Yameretzu
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Aug 2005, 1:34 pm

I met my first 'friend' in nursery school but I met my first REAL friend when I was 11 and she's been my best friend ever since.

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2005, 3:16 pm

I have numerous online friends.

:D SpaceCase :D

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2005, 8:32 pm

Real friend? You mean they really exist?!