Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

percival
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Nov 2007, 10:06 am

Hi,

Does anyone know of any adult AS groups in Los Angeles, or anyone in LA interested in meeting up for such a thing? I've tried checking around online, and what little I can find is geared toward children. Thanks!

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2007, 12:26 am

I got news for you. A lot of the groups that appear to be for children or actually parents of children have adults with AS attending. A lot of those parents will also be on the spectrum too.

Here's a woman in LA that does group therapy for young adult autistics. Contact her whether you want to go to the group or not and she can inform you if there are other groups in the area. She will know better than anyone.

autistic spectrum young adult 17-21 Pasadena Gwennyth L. Palafox, Ph.D., (626) 795-4092

IMO the adult groups are not what they are cracked up to be. You get a bunch of socially inept people together who may also have aggressiveness issues and expect them to get along with other people of various ages, cultures and different levels on the spectrum and expect them to become friends. ... it doesn't work... that's why most groups disband... it is not a way of instant guaranteed friendship unfortunately. Find a hobby group or even church where people are more inclined to be friendly to you. At least in hobby groups you will have something in common.

Just my .02