Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

OptimusSupes114
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Nov 2007, 6:12 pm

:cry: Greetings. I am new to this site. I am a 16-year-old aspie who is feeling depressed because I have no one to love. Could anyone provide me with an aspie love story, just to boost my confidence?

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 6:39 pm

I'm an Aspie, and I think my boyfriend is one too. We get along well because we share some of the same obsessions. We never fight. We don't care about the things that many NTs care about. I respect his Aspie quirks and he respects mine.

We met several years ago. He was a friend of my then-boyfriend. That guy became quite unstable and hard to live with due to severe mental health problems. I found myself unable to help him, so I had to move out. My current boyfriend took me in when I was homeless. A couple weeks later, we fell in love.

Life together was not perfect at first, but with patience and understanding, we have overcome many of our problems and become stronger people, and better for each other. Aspie love is fun, and I think it is possible for anyone.

shaggydaddy
Toucan
Toucan

05 Nov 2007, 6:41 pm

I can't type a long story right now, but here is something quick.

I am an aspie, I have been married for 7.5 years to the most wonderful woman in the world. She accepts me for who I am and does not try to change me. We have a son who is on the spectrum and a daughter who is not. My life is filled with love and I am happy to live it every day.

It took me at least 5 years to notice my wife was watching, admiring, and infatuated with me. Things went slowly because I didn't read her signals as well as I could have.

Years later, we don't really know anyone who isn't jealous of what we have.

fivecents
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Nov 2007, 6:50 pm

Concentrate on your education, do what you love for work, make yourself feel good about yourself because no one else controls your happiness but you, and live a good, clean, decent life. Love will come your way in many shapes and forms throughout your life, and love will be heartbreaking.

I love my AS bf because he is different. He doesn’t waste time with idle chatter, does not force me to do social gatherings with hordes of friends and family, works hard doing what he loves and at the end of the day appreciates that I don’t harass him for not being “this” or “that”, he is just a nice guy who realizes he has quirks and does his best to make sure he remembers to include me from time to time in his interests. We never argue, we communicate. This by far is better than any NT relationship filled with obligations to be something I’m not.

Just grow up, experience life good and bad, and take away something learned by both. Every crooked pot has it’s crooked lid!!

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 8:33 pm

I think often of the story of Roger Bannister, the first man to run the mile in under four minutes. I suspect he has strong AS traits although he grew up long before AS was a formal diagnosis. He was intelligent, very shy, didn't do well in rough contact sports and had interests such as medicine, archaelogy and acting as a teenager that made him seem far more mature than his years. He also suffered from what he called "nervous headaches" and "attacks of violent sickness." He felt he didn't fit in.

However, at 25, after he qualified as a physician, he met Swedish artist Moyra Elver Jacobssen. The couple married and had four children. They now have 14 grandchildren. Bannister became successful in all areas of his life.

When I feel overwhelmed, I read inspirational stories of Roger Bannister. I know I couldn't match his overall record of success, but I will keep working to make my own life as successful as possible.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2007, 10:31 pm

love lost love lost love lost

sometimes i am so depressed how my love is such a diffuse thing... constantly being wicked away

yet i still have more

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Icarus_Falling
everyman antihero
everyman antihero

06 Nov 2007, 2:44 am

Sorry, still working on it. Indicators are positive, but I need more time to research, to search, to understand, to lose and learn...

Check back with me in 2 years, and I'll likely have a story to tell.

Good fortune,

- Icarus is tenacious...

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2007, 3:19 am

I found it.

I'm classically autistic: the rocking, flapping and rarely speaking tortoise; find a way to communicate, and it'll fall as you do. Whether it falls with you or not is one of those risks one must take.

(No story to tell as that's a personal thing.)

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2007, 3:15 pm

My husband and I are both high on the autism spectrum. We used to call people like us Misfit Toys because we didn't know we had autistic genes until we had kids. Nobody understands us as well as we understand each other. We've been married since the 70's.

I wasn't looking for love. I'd given up on people. I just wanted to keep company with my dog. So it just happened naturally. He was an interesting friend. We liked talking about the same stuff and wondering about the same stuff and the relationship grew into something permanent.

OptimusSupes114
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Nov 2007, 4:32 pm

Thank you. All of you. Your stories are inspiring me. :D

Jennyfoo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Nov 2007, 7:23 pm

I found my aspie husband when I was 19. I'd dated a few guys, had my heart broken a year prior when a BF got back together with his ex fiance'. I'd given up and was taking a break from guys. I moved away to college, met my husband the first weekend there and we hit it off immediately. There was just something about him and we just "got" each other and clicked right away. I was not romantically interested in him, but he was in me. I just wanted to be friends. A month later, things flipped. We were married 3 months later. That was almost 11 years ago. We're still best friends to this day, share many of the same interests, and have been through a lot. Neither of us knew we were AS until our 9 y/o daughter was diagnosed 2 years ago.

OptimusSupes114
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Nov 2007, 6:41 am

Thanks

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Nov 2007, 11:14 am

I think that in my case, and those of you who are the same chime in, that I have a forever brick wall with barbed wire fences around my heart. I'm WAY too easily hurt by people. I tend to rebuff first and pick over the bodies for booty later, so to speak. So, I'm very hard to get close to and probably even to love. However, the problem becomes that when I do let someone in I throw everything that I have into it and then there is a sense of overwhelming for the other person. So, I tend to let so few people in that when I deem someone worthy of this stupendous privilege then I just completely overwhelm them. The other problem with this is that when I do let someone in, I get very upset when they don't realise how fantastic that is.

It's a dilemna. My son is 16 as well. He has decided that he will forever be the "friend". I keep telling him to just wait, it will happen. When you get to college, etc. girls start to realise that nice guys are much better companions than the guy that they were dating last week.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I might be crazy, but that's not the same as insane.
I might be scared, but that's not the same as being afraid.
If I throw myself in over the edge...
If I find myself in over my head...
If I shatter from the fall and I lose...
I'd still want to
Swandive
Into you." ~Sister Hazel

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2007, 11:39 am

I wish I was 16 when I was diagnosed. I wasn't 32 until I really realized I had a problem.

If I was younger, I have a feeling I could have defeated this and become a normal functioning person. Too late for me now.

People on this site are going to frown on this advice but I feel strongly about it. In a nutshell.

DO NOT ACCEPT WHO YOU ARE. It is natural instinct to do this. Look at reality. You are NOT normal. At your age, I knew I was different but didn't know why. I went through the next 16 years of my life accepting who I was but was an outcast. I was miserable the whole 16 years. No friends, no steady employment (I am on disability now). Understand that you need to change. Observe how other people act socially and at work. At first, it will not feel natural to act like others, but eventually you can become like them. Understand that if you do accept the way you are, a majority of people find you strange and be uncomfortable around you.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Nov 2007, 1:07 pm

KevinLA wrote:

DO NOT ACCEPT WHO YOU ARE. It is natural instinct to do this. Look at reality. You are NOT normal. At your age, I knew I was different but didn't know why. I went through the next 16 years of my life accepting who I was but was an outcast. I was miserable the whole 16 years. No friends, no steady employment (I am on disability now). Understand that you need to change. Observe how other people act socially and at work. At first, it will not feel natural to act like others, but eventually you can become like them. Understand that if you do accept the way you are, a majority of people find you strange and be uncomfortable around you.

I disagree with this. I find much less social rejection now that I've accepted myself for what I am. It gives people much less to point and laugh at if you are able to do a little of it as well. I was miserable trying to make myself act like other people and trying to fit in. I tried really hard (confirmed by my mother last night in a phone conversation), but it wasn't who I was and my attempts always fell flat. It's much easier to understand one of my quirks when I say that it's part of the AS and that's who I am. It's a huge part of who and what I am and why I am the way that I am. I can't just dismiss it. YOU ARE WAY OFF BASE HERE! And no one has to be a complete social outcast just because of the AS. It just means that you fine tune what your social interaction is. You meet people who understand you and have the interests that you do. Instant social circle. Truthfully, those people that find me strange and are uncomfortable around me are really missing out. I'm a fantastically fun person to run around with. I just have a different idea of what defines the word "fun".

My friend Bridget says that if she had never hung out with me, she wouldn't know how many guys on campus wear boxers. We had to do a public poll for a social geography class and I just went with the first thing that popped in my head. Incidently we were the only ones who got an A on that project because we brought to light several social stigmas and redefined what was socially appropriate. Only my demented mind would have made something so completely inappropriate into a subject for a term paper.

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2007, 2:39 pm

Liverbird wrote:

I was miserable trying to make myself act like other people and trying to fit in. I tried really hard (confirmed by my mother last night in a phone conversation), but it wasn't who I was and my attempts always fell flat. It's much easier to understand one of my quirks when I say that it's part of the AS and that's who I am. It's a huge part of who and what I am and why I am the way that I am. I can't just dismiss it.

How long did you try? It took me YEARS to change my pesonality. My personality did eventually change. Unfortunately I had a lot of other factors which hindered me.