Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

jaffacakes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Mar 2011, 8:06 am

Apocatastasis wrote:
Oh my god. I thought I was the only one! I go to look for things, and see everything else BUT the thing I was first looking for! I'll ask my parents to help me look, and they find it in a few seconds..

Me too! I usually stop and ask someone else to look for me, and it's always there. Sometimes I know there item is there and I still can't see it - now I know why!

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 8:57 am

duke666 wrote:
That's fascinating. I wonder if the mental image causes the brain to edit out the real object as redundant.

I wonder what would happen if you visualized something else, like cheese when you're looking for your keys.

For an interesting insight into NT visual cognition object blindness check out the following video:

http://viscog.beckman.illinois.edu/flashmovie/15.php

Wow, that video is really overwhelming. I didn't have time to notice anything going on in the background.

As for my own visual processing, I'm notoriously bad at finding things. I'm very likely to miss objects that are in plain sight. There are also times when I will see a mental image of an object in my head, but if the object I find doesn't match it, I will just keep looking. I've also had cases when someone tells me to go get something and I bring back something entirely different. Because that's what I thought they were asking for.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2011, 11:56 am

re: the video
I did not see the gorilla, I was concentrating too hard at counting passes. However I remember being aware of something being anomalous during the video. I think this is where I missed two of the passes. I got 13 out of 15. NT or AS, I simply cannot get my brain to do two things at once. During the time I was feeling something wasn't right, my brain just sort of lost it's place for a moment or two and it was just like static.