Eliminating Autism means Eliminating inventions?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 9:23 pm

Posts over here got me curious about the Autism Speaks message board so I registered there and posted something that I wondered about and now I'm wondering why I posted it there. This board is so much more interesting! So I copied what I wrote so I could post it here.

Here's the post:
A few years ago Japanese educators came to our state to observe schools to try to figure out how to be more creative. The news report said that, while Japan was very productive, they weren't good at inventing things.

I heard other news reports on how much Japanese culture hated non conformity and weird kids were often driven to suicide. So that made me wonder if Japanese autistic spectrum people had little chance of being accepted in Japan, which made me wonder if there was a connection, that no AS means no inventions.

Nowadays I see lots of creativity coming out of Japan in the way of anime and video games. Maybe they're more friendly to non conformists than in the past.

Nagy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Nov 2007, 9:44 pm

I think not all of them suicided after all :D

I believe when they mention weird kids, they might point at the traditional autistic people, not AS, we look normal, but we don't have time for the nonsense (sociality), I don't even think that normal japanese have time for it, they are busy people

that's only my opinion

My passions from a common spring.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 10:04 pm

they are busy that is true, parts of the community encourage weirdness, anime and manga make billions of yen every year, geeks spend lots of monies on it.
maybe non conformists are mostly encouraged otherwise none of the super cool things they make would ever be created.

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 10:10 pm

Conformity really is strongly encouraged in Japan. I just did a search to see if kids are still killing themselves. I got lots of hits. This story is particularly sad because so many aspies are bullied,

Suicide of 'bullied' Japan pupils

Pupils threatened suicide in letters to the education minister
Two Japanese children killed themselves over the weekend because they were being bullied at school, say police.
The deaths of the 12-year-old girl and 14-year-old boy bring the number of children in Japan who have committed suicide since August to five.

The girl, who jumped from the eighth floor of her family home, was said to be being bullied because of her height.

The boy hanged himself after his classmates reportedly tried to extort money from him.

Meanwhile, a head teacher has been found hanged in a forest after he was criticised over his response to an extortion incident involving a pupil at his school.

Bullying is a serious problem in Japan and the authorities have been trying to come up with ways to tackle the problem, but finding agreement on the way forward is not proving easy.

Last week, several schoolchildren wrote to the Education Minister, Bunmei Ibuki, threatening to kill themselves.

Mr Ibuki responded by urging students not to write to him but instead to try and find people they could talk to about their difficulties.

It is not clear if the two children who committed suicide over the weekend were among those who wrote the letters.

The BBC's Chris Hogg in Tokyo says suicide in Japan is not just seen as an easy way out - traditionally, it was regarded as a responsible way to deal with a problem when faced with no other option.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 11:02 pm

OregonBecky wrote:
Posts over here got me curious about the Autism Speaks message board so I registered there and posted something that I wondered about and now I'm wondering why I posted it there. This board is so much more interesting! So I copied what I wrote so I could post it here.

Here's the post:
A few years ago Japanese educators came to our state to observe schools to try to figure out how to be more creative. The news report said that, while Japan was very productive, they weren't good at inventing things.

I heard other news reports on how much Japanese culture hated non conformity and weird kids were often driven to suicide. So that made me wonder if Japanese autistic spectrum people had little chance of being accepted in Japan, which made me wonder if there was a connection, that no AS means no inventions.

Nowadays I see lots of creativity coming out of Japan in the way of anime and video games. Maybe they're more friendly to non conformists than in the past.

Well, first of all, Japan is NOT as inventive, or even productive, as once thought. Apparently they did a LOT of outsourcing to korea! And HECK, one little AMERICAN company was asked to create a chip for a japanese calculator company. The Americans were too lazy, and decided to make the 4004 instead.

OK, MAYBE some of you don't know what the 4004 was. Well, Its great great great great great grandson, or relative thereof, is probably not to far from you now. It's in that PC in front of you! And that little company was INTEL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_4004

Anyway, a lot of KOREAN companies purchased technology from the US and elsewhere, and produced things for japan. So all that neat technology you see from japan, and all, may not really be from japan.

As for ANIME? The stories are WIERD, and tend to follow like 1 of 3 basic methodologies. The graphics are nice, but poorly animated. So what is so special about them?

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 11:06 pm

Long before I discovered WP and AS, I had done a study of inventors. it turned into a book.

I had names and traits, with Tesla as the poster boy. Now It seems inventors are a subset of aspies.

They have all the traits, and are one out of 5000 in the general population. In that number there are 37.5 aspies.

There have been a lot of attempts to teach creativity. They all failed.

Most Patents are for small possible improments, and about half come from universities and industry. The Patents from the private inventors still make up half of all issued, and from that group come great leaps forward, spawning new industries.

Important Patents have been studied, they come from kitchen tables, and are done by people without education in the field. Education seems to decrease thought, creativity, as they have been taught, and one thing school teaches, is quit thinking.

A common list of inventors shows, major illness, near death, deaf, head injury, and a lot of people described as odd, strange, weird, awkward gait, strange speech patterns, intense and unreadable eyes.

As a group they produce billions for the economy, and get hardly any of it. I tried to organize them, a bunch of hemits, not at all social, I did a major mailing and got hardly any response.

Japan is non creative because of large companies, who own stock in each other, buy from each other, and new products, outside goods, have to market from scratch. Most work for the big company, and the contract says, the company owns all patents, so no incentive. It costs thousands, takes years of testing, and in Japan, you will not even get a thank you note.

I keep saying how great aspies are, besides patents, they are art, music, writing, and we do need an Aspie Union.

We started with comics, and went to cartoons, it was big time when Superman got a TV program.

Japan started with animation on TV, and found more money in Manga. They have artists, and the rights to TV animation, but are not creative.

I am, American Manga coming soon, the quality is better than comics, all gloss paper, 26 pages, now I just need stories and artwork. I start with how would I print that, where, how much, and work out from there.

So do we have some new stories and art work?

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Nov 2007, 11:14 pm

People seem to get offended and uptight around someone who is creative and it's not because the creative person is awful but it's because the other person feels self conscious over it.

I think eliminating aspies can result in elimination of creativeness.

Why are people trying to teach creativeness?

Is it so that they can once again take a swipe at differently wired people so that they themselves won't have to be bothered about being subjected to a different point of view and so people can read an article with the "well creativity can be taught but not a good personality" speech?

xx Dan Monster

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 11:32 pm

When I was in school we were tested, I had the highest reading skills, and was second in science, three of us took the top spots, reading, math, science, and we were the three strange kids.

We were ignored, and good kids who came in forth were sent to science and math programs for the school.

We were broken up and sent other places so we would not be together. The school was forming a Science Club, and they did not want us in it. America would be represented by second class science.

Considering that most discoveries are made by the top 1% they cut out the top 25%, and got NASA.

Two parent, church members, followers, good American kids, were chosen to lead science.

NASA is flying a 1968 design. But it is a Christian American space program.

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Nov 2007, 11:39 pm

That's awful Inventor. I hope in our lifetime that people that are strange quit getting shafted like that. If this keeps up going like it is, it's going to implode.

Oneday, we're going to see only people who have the right personality getting even tech support jobs and working on computers and science.

Ouch, come to think of it, Inventor, do you hate these medical studies that provide false statistics regarding what is actually underneath it all the trend of the year like how one year some expert claims that they have found that chocolate is good for your health? I wonder if such statistics and trends are a result of bosses hiring solely based on good personalities.

It gets so annoying hearing people regurgitating that garbage. You can always depend on that person to also next year say oh it was found chocolate is actually bad for you.

I wonder if some people actually understand that if you have too much of anything including water it's not good for you. I don't see why we have a need for these so called scientific food trends.

xx Dan Monster

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 11:48 pm

Inventor wrote:
When I was in school we were tested, I had the highest reading skills, and was second in science, three of us took the top spots, reading, math, science, and we were the three strange kids.

We were ignored, and good kids who came in forth were sent to science and math programs for the school.

We were broken up and sent other places so we would not be together. The school was forming a Science Club, and they did not want us in it. America would be represented by second class science.

Considering that most discoveries are made by the top 1% they cut out the top 25%, and got NASA.

Two parent, church members, followers, good American kids, were chosen to lead science.

NASA is flying a 1968 design. But it is a Christian American space program.

Well, you may have been #2 in science, but I bet you could have done a LOT better if they used technologies and ideas presented before 1960! The whole thing is GARBAGE. I wish I had a good say in education for even 2 decades. I bet I could turn it on its ear. Every class would be able to teach somewhat remedial(There is a limit as to what kids you could accept, without hurting others) and fairly gifted, nobody would suffer. It would mean more money could go into the main program and fewer teachers would be needed(I would fire most of them anyway).

It is a shame that the current system teaches UP to a minimum(It should be at least a minimum), and cherishes conformity. They don't even seem to really care about kids welfare. When I think of all I must have put up with. MAN!

Angelus-Mortis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Nov 2007, 12:25 am

I am not sure if creativity can be taught, because it is unique to each person. Some people are simply better at expressing or using it because they've been born in an environment that encourages it, and others aren't, or their creativity is suppressed, possibly because of what they value.

I have heard, however, that Japanese suicide rates are due to the high pressure and high standards in Japanese society for students and people to succeed. They push themselves very hard, and their education is valued a lot more than it is in the west. Which is why English teachers there get paid a lot.

Arbitraris id veneficium quod te ludificat. Arbitror id formam quod intellego.

Ignorationi est non medicina.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2007, 12:29 am

Kitsy wrote:

Ouch, come to think of it, Inventor, do you hate these medical studies that provide false statistics regarding what is actually underneath it all the trend of the year like how one year some expert claims that they have found that chocolate is good for your health? I wonder if such statistics and trends are a result of bosses hiring solely based on good personalities.

Also Securities and Exchange Series 7, Stock Broker. Never worked it, but took the License course.

Coca Futures were way down, due to over production. Articles appeared, chooclate, the next wonder drug, A disease may wipe out half the world's production. they did not directly suggest buying long term coca futures, but if you did the same thing for a company, THS Corp about to launch an earth shaking new product, you would be talking to SEC Lawyers. No one owns all of coca, so they got away with it.

Lying to the public is legal, and chocolate is legal. Bumping futures up, maybe 1% is owned, up 1% you double your money, up 3%, with a lot of dead stock, is a fortune.

Oil is $100 a barrel, it was $13 when Bush took office. There is no shortage. Someone is being Free with the market. When Enron and Worldcom went under, taking down Auther Anderson, they all went to work the next day for big oil. The economy is being looted.

I still think that the only answer, is a Constituional Amendment, forever banning Gay Prayer.

Every thing wrong with the world is caused by Gay People Praying to Our American God.

WE need your vote on this most important issue of all time.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2007, 12:31 am

Angelus-Mortis wrote:
I am not sure if creativity can be taught, because it is unique to each person. Some people are simply better at expressing or using it because they've been born in an environment that encourages it, and others aren't, or their creativity is suppressed, possibly because of what they value.

I have heard, however, that Japanese suicide rates are due to the high pressure and high standards in Japanese society for students and people to succeed. They push themselves very hard, and their education is valued a lot more than it is in the west. Which is why English teachers there get paid a lot.

I've never seen ANY class teach creativity. I doubt there is any way.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Nov 2007, 2:14 am

Well I definatly think that aspies contribute a great deal to science and invention. I dont think it will be outright eliminated but invention will be hindered quite a great deal with no more aspies around.

Bodorus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Nov 2007, 3:41 am

we all think that we are more creative than others, NT's will also think they are more creative than people in the autistic spectrum... , most people are only happy if they are better or have more than their neighbours.
However i know i'm much more inventive than the NT's i know. I dont want to say anything about the revolutionary ideas that i have because i'm ridiculed for them just because its a total new idea, never tried before, and thus unacceptable. I have a (probably aspie) brother who is also inventive, and another (probably NT) who just takes the ideas of others, formulate them a little different and than think they found something new...
I said once in the chatroom that i thought that aspies make the big inventions in the world, and that these inventions are worked out by NT's studying this ideas (when once accepted) like japanese without adding something new, only perfecting the idea. I gave the example of the great composers in history (much of them are suspected with AS), they had the music in their head, they didn't need rules of theories. Now these days you can "learn" how to compose music by studying and using rules and theories based on the works of these great minds, and thats a stupid thing, making music without soul. Also much succesfull (classical) musicians of this time play like computers, perfecting every note but forgetting the soul of the music.
I'm now studying at uni for some degree that seems o so important for the average human, and i'm having a hard time, because i don't believe the claims that i need to study by head. I've read "scientific" reports claiming or "proving" all sorts of things, that are plain stupid.

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2007, 11:35 am

Companies often have consultants to try and teach creativity to their employees.

They shouldn't be trying to teach creativity. They should be teaching uncreative people how to manage and get the most out of creative people who usually don't know how to make the most out of their own creativity. They could world together as a team.