Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2005, 9:28 am

Today I had my third meeting with the psychologist. This morning I was given my "offical" diagnoses of aspergers syndrome.

I now feel a sense of closure for the first time in my life regarding my storied past. My only regret is that this couldn't have happened 20 years ago.

He feels that I'm a fairly textbook case of someone who's on the higher rungs of autism spectrum, in that despite my problems, I should be able to live independently and survive on my own with little or no assistance.

To top things off, he is going to try and get me enrolled into a local autism support group. He says there are many people here where I live my age who have AS and I feel very excited at the prospect of possibly meeting them.

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2005, 9:36 am

I guess that is good news that you are able to live independently and survive with little, or no assistance. I was told the opposite, but everyone knew that before the doctors said anything. My mom regrets not knowing about it 3 decades ago, but the past is gone and the future will be much better (I hope).

Edit: Oops, asked stupid question.

I'm the Rhymin' Red Rover, and that's where I'll be.

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2005, 9:57 am

I'm glad its lead to a sense of closure for you Scoots.

The support group sounds interesting! Hope it goes well.

BeeBee

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2005, 10:55 am

Scott,

Glad to hear this.

I like the support group here in Minnesota even though I have to drive an hour (and $30 in gas) to get to it. I am glad there is an option like that close to you.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

oatwillie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Aug 2005, 11:00 am

Scoots,

This is just my opinion, so you're welcome to take exception: I think you will be a benefit to the others in the Autism Support Group. Your expressive nature with the experiences you have shared here at WP have been very relatable. They are gifts I hope you can share in the context of helping other with AS throughout your life.

Best fishes to you!

Sacred Cows make the tastiest hambuger.

visualize whirled peas

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2005, 12:46 pm

Bye!

Last edited by Ghosthunter on 16 Aug 2005, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2005, 1:18 pm

Congratulations!

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2005, 2:13 pm

Scoots5012 wrote:
Today I had my third meeting with the psychologist. This morning I was given my "offical" diagnoses of aspergers syndrome. I now feel a sense of closure for the first time in my life regarding my storied past. My only regret is that this couldn't have happened 20 years ago.
I know *exactly* what you mean. Having a doctor validate my self-DX was a great relief. In the immediate sense, it meant that I was neither crazy nor a hypochondriac. More importantly, it neatly explained 30+ years of social failures in a non-judgemental way and gave me a whole new perspective on my life. It also brought a sense of regret, as I have to wonder how much pain and depression could have been avoided with earlier detection.

Scoots5012 wrote:
He feels that I'm a fairly textbook case of someone who's on the higher rungs of autism spectrum, in that despite my problems, I should be able to live independently and survive on my own with little or no assistance.
That's great news! It's not all going to be easy, though.

Scoots5012 wrote:
To top things off, he is going to try and get me enrolled into a local autism support group. He says there are many people here where I live my age who have AS and I feel very excited at the prospect of possibly meeting them.
Yoda said "Do or do not. There is no try." :-) I wish I could meet more adult Aspies. The Asperger Syndrome "support group" in my city is only for people under age 25. There's an Autism support group about an hour south of me that I visited once, but it was mostly composed of parents who managed to hijack every conversation and turn it into a discussion about their children. Not only can NT parents not contribute much to a discussion about autistic adults, but most of them actively avoid the subject because it terrifies them to think that their children will grow up.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2005, 3:51 pm

Jetson,

That is the reason I like the group in Saint Paul. It is comprised of all adults with one NT facilitator.

They have recommended that I start a group in Rochester and now that I have heard of someone in the Owatonna area, I am thinking about it. The problem will be that most of the autism related groups here are comprised of parents and I do not know how they would react.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2005, 7:29 pm

Congrats!

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2005, 9:44 pm

Congratulations! :D It is such a relief when it is official. It is beneficial too. Now you can do things like go to that support group.