Things that shouldn't be funny but....

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Shadowbound
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Nov 2007, 11:27 pm

Ever seen a video which made feel guilty because you laughed?

Such has classics like this

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApzPZgUwDaE[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6rLg5Ne3zo&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Go0rdSjX0[/youtube]

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Nov 2007, 12:27 am

That first one was FUNNY! :lol:

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2007, 12:58 am

Y'know the Grinch movie starring Jim Carrey? I always felt bad because I laughed hysterically at the flashback scene where the young Grinch goes crazy at his school after being teased. I never figured out why it was so funny. One time I watched the movie at a friend's house and I think she and her mother thought I was being rude by laughing at what was supposed to be a part that made you sad.

Also, I snicker whenever one of my nieces or nephews gets punished by their parents. Again, I don't know why it strikes me as funny, but it sure does.

space-nerd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Nov 2007, 1:44 am

:lol: I found the second so funny PMSL

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2007, 1:49 am

I don't know what this says about me, but I have always found the sound of someone falling up or down the stairs humorous. I've fallen down them (and up them :oops: ). It hurt like heck, but I found it really funny. Maybe it's an Aspie thing. When my son tripped backwards while catching a football at school and broke his arm, he was laughing when I picked him up. He joked about it all the way to the hospital. :? I still haven't found the funny in that.

Dunwich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Nov 2007, 2:13 am

In college, our student-run TV channel constantly played this PSA about domestic violence. All you saw was a 4-year old boy coming down the stairs at night, awakened by an argument between his parents. It just zooms in closer on his face as their offscreen shouting escalates and you hear his father smacking his mother:

"No, you wanna' know what hurts? (SMACK) THAT's what hurts! (WHAM)--THAT's what hurts!"

It ends with the tagline: "Children have to watch domestic violence; What's YOUR excuse?"

Because it was the campus station, all it could air were PSAs. I frequently worked on the crew of various shows, and you could hear whatever ads were running over the headsets during the breaks. Once, as that particular one aired for the unpteenth time, I heard someone in the control room ask the crew, "Okay, I don't mean to make light of violence against women or anything, but am I the only one who cracks up every time I see this ad?" Well, I never laughed out loud myself, but my freshman roommate had, and no one at the taping acted like it was an objectionable comment. And I didn't think it was either.

While it did get its message across, there was something cheesy and silly about the ad. In fact, even the most effective public service announcements can come across that way after the 2nd or 3rd viewing. Maybe that's why the G.I.Joe PSAs burned their way so deeply into the hearts and minds of my generation: they weren't any more ridiculous than "real" PSAs.

I'd like to say I was just amused by the ad itself but...
...well, an episode of Moral Orel last season somehow made me laugh out loud at a woman being brutalized by a clown to teach a lesson about turning the other cheek. So maybe it's about context. Like how a bloody, graphic dismemberment in a movie can be horrifying or funny depending on whether Dario Argento of Peter Jackson is directing. I dunno.

and that is beautiful.

-TMBG

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Nov 2007, 7:09 pm

I agree with BlessedMom about the sound of someone falling down the stairs. Painful for them, hilarious for me. And I've fallen down stairs, so I know it hurts. Once, I was driving and saw a huge rat making his way slowly across the road. I couldn't safely stop, so I braced myself and kept driving. Thunk! I had to pull over, I was laughing so hard. I felt that I should have felt bad for the animal, but for some reason this was incredibly funny. The sound kept repeating in my mind, over and over, and was never less funny.

QuietlyCrave
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Nov 2007, 9:07 pm

blessedmom wrote:
I don't know what this says about me, but I have always found the sound of someone falling up or down the stairs humorous. I've fallen down them (and up them :oops: ). It hurt like heck, but I found it really funny. Maybe it's an Aspie thing. When my son tripped backwards while catching a football at school and broke his arm, he was laughing when I picked him up. He joked about it all the way to the hospital. :? I still haven't found the funny in that.

I once fell up a set of stairs at work whilst carrying cups of coffee and scalded myself. The office was split between the sympathetic, and those in paroxysms of laughter. Over a year later, I still occasionally find myself arguing passionately for those who laughed - it was funny.

bjorker
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Nov 2007, 9:11 pm

I always laugh when my partner hurts himself. I can't help it, his reactions are too funny. No I don't like it when he's hurting, but he shouldn't be so funny about it! :P He of course doesn't appreciate that so much.

Shadowbound
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Nov 2007, 9:16 pm

Ahh I see so these should be funny to you guys and gals too. :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92ZLU4e1rK4&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJOyf1gKreo&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfR-iCbQM4s&feature=related[/youtube]

bjorker
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Nov 2007, 5:16 am

OMG, those were great. That second one made me laugh SO hard. Um, I do hope she's okay, though... but the randomness of it just makes it SO.HILARIOUS.

This one cracks me up for the same reasons:

I can just keep watching that over and over again...

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2007, 5:26 am

I suppose a good chunk of The League of Gentlemen and The Goodies might count. A good chunk of what The Goodies did would not be done today (especially the South Africa episode), and as for The League of Gentlemen, well, I have only two words for you: Papa Lazarou.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM9x5tefjcY[/youtube]

I also have a certain amount of schadenfreude, in that I laugh at some rather ironic deaths in movies. I disturbed my parents when I laughed at some stuff in Con Air.

On sabbatical...

Speedy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Nov 2007, 6:19 am

Instant reaction to physical pain is laughter, for me too. That video with the camera falling on her head, couldn't help it. But as already mentioned, the caring side is in there, just not as prevalent as the laughing out loud side.

The other day I got out of bed, and just fell on the floor, my legs completely gave way. I guess I slept wrong or something, it wasn't pins and needles because I get that really bad. I got up and tried again, same thing. Feeling came back shortly after, but all I could do is laugh at the slapstick way I hit the floor. I even let out an unintelligible noise the first time, I just wish I was there to see it happen, not be it happening.

That being said, I like Jackass, because there is always the element of surprise, but I don't like Dirty Sanchez, even I find it odd.

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." Inigo Montoya

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Nov 2007, 5:20 pm

That second video, where the camera falls on the reporters head, had me ROFLMAO!

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2007, 5:24 pm

:lol:

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

16 Nov 2007, 9:56 pm

Well once I saw an old ladies brakes stop working on her mobility scooter...

She wasn't going down a hill luckely, but was quite funny when she tried to stop and she said..."Oh no, not again". :lol:
I know it's not good to laugh at that kind of thing, but really, it was quite funny...