Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 4:25 pm

"Study: Blondes Make Men Act Dumber"

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,312136,00.html

Quote:
While blondes may have more fun, a new study suggests that fair-haired ladies may be making those around them dumber.

Researchers found that men's scores on general knowledge tests drop when they are shown photos of blonde women, the Sunday Times of London reported.

Upon further inspection, it was found that the test subjects were not distracted by the light hair, but driven by social stereotypes to "think blonde."

"This proves that people confronted with stereotypes generally behave in line with them," Thierry Meyer, joint author of the study and professor of social psychology at the University of Paris X-Nanterre, told the Times of London. "In this case blondes have the potential to make people act in a dumber way, because they mimic the unconscious stereotype of the dumb blonde."

The study indicates a belief by scientists that stereotyping is a powerful driving force in interacting with others.

RelatedStories
Monkeys Get Upset Over Unfair Treatment Scientists Working to Advance Wilhelm Reich's Sexual Energy-Cosmic Life Force Work Sexual Orientation Hard-Wired in Worm Brains Kenyan Monkeys Make Lewd Gestures at Women For example, previous research found that people talk more slowly in front of the elderly, the Times reported.

Maybe that explains why I'm always uncomfortable around blondes? :?

I find them attractive, but I also feel ill-at-ease, which I don't around brunettes or redheads. (My ex-wife is a natural redhead.)

Last edited by Ragtime on 19 Nov 2007, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2007, 4:27 pm

Lolz.

Xan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Nov 2007, 8:29 pm

yeah and water makes me less thirsty

this is old news and well any man has allways known this

i think it is not only true for blonds but generaly for beautifull women.

sorry about my bad spelling got dyslexia

Norwegian aspie site:

http://asforum.110mb.com/index.php

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2007, 4:54 am

Haha. Blondes messing up men. It's The Blonde curse. Blondes are known to be dumb.

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Nov 2007, 10:10 am

Not buying this "research" either. I wonder how much money goes into research like this.

xx Dan Monster

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2007, 1:06 pm

ShadesOfMe wrote:
Haha. Blondes messing up men. It's The Blonde curse. Blondes are known to be dumb.

Today I even wrote something about my theory why blondes are found stupid :lol:

Irulan wrote:
My theory. We can assume this stereotype has its origin in this simple fact that it's statistically rare to be characterized by a bigger amount of positive qualities (wealth, beauty, intelligence, interesting personality, good heart, good wealth, physical strengh) - the more rare the more such qualities a person has. There's something in humans what makes them striving for harmony and a harmony can exist only when any side doesn't prevail over another one. An average human being's destiny is mediocrity, good and bad features shouldn't disturb the equilibrium of each other. There's much more bad or at least average elements creating a human while those which distinguish a man to the advantage are generally found more rarely. A balance should be kept and it's why it's considered ( subconsciously) more or less unhealthy, indescent and unnatural to be beautiful and intelligent in the same time (intelligence and beauty belong to the most important among qualities mentioned by me; beauty - somebody handsome has bigger chance to find a sexual partner and to give his/her genes to next generations; intelligence - it's logical why so there's no need to explain this). It's too much for one person to have them both and people (subconsciously, we must not forget) assume that having one such an important quality (in this case it's beauty which for centuries was associated with having fair hair and blue eyes) you simply can't (or shouldn't I should rather say) have another equally important feature (intelligence) in the same time. As same as highly intelligent people are stereotypically presented as those who are smart and having a big knowledge but let's be sincere - not very atractive (like Karl, Johny Bravo's friend who's an embodiment of stereotypical frail nerd or Mary Bennett in Jane Austin - reading a lot and increasing her knowledge but also unatractive young girl)..

Last edited by Irulan on 20 Nov 2007, 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Nov 2007, 1:17 pm

Irulan wrote:
ShadesOfMe wrote:

Today I even wrote something about my theory who blondes are found stupid :lol:

Irulan wrote:
My theory. We can assume this stereotype has its origin in this simple fact that it's statistically rare to be characterized by a bigger amount of positive qualities (wealth, beauty, intelligence, interesting personality, good heart, good wealth, physical strengh) - the more rare the more such qualities a person has. There's something in humans what makes them striving for harmony and a harmony can exist only when any side doesn't prevail over another one. An average human being's destiny is mediocrity, good and bad features shouldn't disturb the equilibrium of each other. There's much more bad or at least average elements creating a human while those which distinguish a man to the advantage are generally found more rarely. A balance should be kept and it's why it's considered ( subconsciously) more or less unhealthy, indescent and unnatural to be beautiful and intelligent in the same time (intelligence and beauty belong to the most important among qualities mentioned by me; beauty - somebody handsome has bigger chance to find a sexual partner and to give his/her genes to next generations; intelligence - it's logical why so there's no need to explain this). It's too much for one person to have them both and people (subconsciously, we must not forget) assume that having one such an important quality (in this case it's beauty which for centuries was associated with having fair hair and blue eyes) you simply can't (or shouldn't I should rather say) have another equally important feature (intelligence) in the same time. As same as highly intelligent people are stereotypically presented as those who are smart and having a big knowledge but let's be sincere - not very atractive (like Karl, Johny Bravo's friend who's an embodiment of stereotypical frail nerd or Mary Bennett in Jane Austin - reading a lot and increasing her knowledge but also unatractive young girl)..

Irulan, well written.

xx Dan Monster

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2007, 1:22 pm

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2007, 3:59 pm

No wonder people prefer blonde chicks over brunettes.
Brunettes have a more exotic look to them.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2007, 4:52 pm

Interestingly, the article does not say whether women who dye their hair blonde get stupider. :lol:
Maybe they look in the mirror, and subconciously start thinking of themselves as the stereotype.

Xan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Nov 2007, 7:01 pm

well some aregue that beautifull woman are dymber cause they dont need to be smart they use there looks to gett ahead.

like they probebly get more attansion and help at the work place.

sorry about my bad spelling got dyslexia

Norwegian aspie site:

http://asforum.110mb.com/index.php

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2007, 10:17 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Interestingly, the article does not say whether women who dye their hair blonde get stupider. :lol:
Maybe they look in the mirror, and subconciously start thinking of themselves as the stereotype.

No, But they've done studies on women who die their hair red. Redheads, are known to have more um....physical intimacy with their partners. So when a woman dyes her hair red, studies have said she's crying out for intimacy with a man.

:/ at least my red is natural.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 2:05 pm

ShadesOfMe wrote:
Redheads, are known to have more um....physical intimacy with their partners.

I know. :mrgreen: I was lucky to have married one.

I saw a bumper sticker that said: "Redheads have the fun blondes dream about."

Red hair on a woman is a weakness of mine.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 4:43 pm

Yeah, we redheads are pretty hott.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 5:18 pm

ShadesOfMe wrote:
Yeah, we redheads are pretty hott.

Indeed, you are! I hadn't read the last line of your post (that you are a natural redhead). You are quite cute.