Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

singularitymadam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: I live in a Mad Max movie. It's not as fun as it sounds.

21 Nov 2007, 3:16 pm

If any of you read Bad Astronomy on a regular basis, you've already seen this: http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2007 ... rd-doomed/

But still, Intelligent Design = :(
I know Evolution is a scientific theory, but it has substantially more proof than religion. It also obeys the Second Law of Thermodynamics. If Newton could differentiate between religious viewpoints and the scientific method, why can't we?

And how intelligently designed are rabbits' digestive systems? Or pomegranates? Nuclear Fusion is incredible, but when people tell me they have been completely educated through Florida public schools, I want to ask them if they can read.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 4:39 pm

singularitymadam wrote:
And how intelligently designed are rabbits' digestive systems? Or pomegranates? Nuclear Fusion is incredible, but when people tell me they have been completely educated through Florida public schools, I want to ask them if they can read.

Well, don't judge all of us by Polk county. :P

- Emerson

Stevopedia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Nov 2007, 6:27 pm

There's actually a way to strike a balance and join the two (intelligent design (well, science in general, really) and evolution.)

This is my hypothesis, in a nutshell (I'm a Christian, by the way):

The Bible said that God made everything that exists. Science exists. Therefore, God made science.

And everything that science entails. All of the processes that we know. The laws of physics and chemistry. Mathematics. Evolution. All of it is God's work, designed before the Big Bang, and created with it.

To me, math, science, and music are the ultimate expressions of God's beauty.

singularitymadam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: I live in a Mad Max movie. It's not as fun as it sounds.

21 Nov 2007, 9:05 pm

MrMark wrote:
Well, don't judge all of us by Polk county. :P

I really don't want to, but I live in Orlando--close enough to Polk county for the stupid to be contagious. I'm also a little worried because we have the third worst public schools in the nation. It's pretty embarrassing.

Stevopedia wrote:
The Bible said that God made everything that exists. Science exists. Therefore, God made science.

And everything that science entails. All of the processes that we know. The laws of physics and chemistry. Mathematics. Evolution. All of it is God's work, designed before the Big Bang, and created with it.

To me, math, science, and music are the ultimate expressions of God's beauty.

It's beautifully convenient, I'll give you that. I have a really hard time believing this, but I won't tell you that your religious views are wrong. Just don't impose them on others :P

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 4:10 pm

Florida is just one part of the South--- many parts of it cause suckiness in large quantities.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Nov 2007, 4:51 pm

Sixty years ago Robert A. Heinlein speculated that 21st America would be a religious dictatorship If This Goes On.....

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 5:00 pm

skahthic wrote:
Florida is just one part of the South--- many parts of it cause suckiness in large quantities.

Actually, we're not. You have to go north to get to the South from here. Hence the expression, "Up South." :)

- Emerson