Why do so many NTs dislike us so much?

Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 3:12 am

I'm trying to understand the NT mentality and would like to read some intelligent comments on the subject....

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 3:14 am

I think they dislike us because they don't understand AS and Autism.

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 3:19 am

Berserker wrote:

So they dislike what they don't understand? If so, why?

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 3:21 am

Mw99 wrote:
Berserker wrote:

Not sure. I knew a lot of NTs who disliked me because they didn't understand me. If they understood my AS, perhaps they would have been nicer. I guess it's because NTs shun what they don't understand. But that's what I think. I'm only 16, so I wouldn't have a lot of answers on the matter.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 3:24 am

We're all raised to understand what's right and wrong, good and bad and expected and not expected. Well, we display "not quite right" and we are the "unexpected". Some autistics are forgiven because they "look" disabled. whatever that means.
I remember years ago, when my son was about 3 (he still fit in the seat of shopping cart). We were at the pharmacy and had to wait for my husband's meds. Something set my son off, he wasn't speaking but otherwise "looked normal and healthy". He was crying at the top of his lungs. I couldn't soothe him, hold him, scold him or anything. It was taking an awfully long time. Soon, people were loudly talking about "I'd get slapped if I did that!", glaring at us, me. We finally got called up and I got the meds. I looked over and there was a mom with her "clearly autistic" child. He was inside the cart, older than my son and rocking, hitting his head and moaning. No one said a word, no one even looked at them. For a moment, I was jealous of that mom. I started to cry. Why do they forgive her son and not mine?!

Do you prefer to be hated or pitied?

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 3:50 am

KimJ wrote:
We're all raised to understand what's right and wrong, good and bad and expected and not expected. Well, we display "not quite right" and we are the "unexpected". Some autistics are forgiven because they "look" disabled. whatever that means.
I remember years ago, when my son was about 3 (he still fit in the seat of shopping cart). We were at the pharmacy and had to wait for my husband's meds. Something set my son off, he wasn't speaking but otherwise "looked normal and healthy". He was crying at the top of his lungs. I couldn't soothe him, hold him, scold him or anything. It was taking an awfully long time. Soon, people were loudly talking about "I'd get slapped if I did that!", glaring at us, me. We finally got called up and I got the meds. I looked over and there was a mom with her "clearly autistic" child. He was inside the cart, older than my son and rocking, hitting his head and moaning. No one said a word, no one even looked at them. For a moment, I was jealous of that mom. I started to cry. Why do they forgive her son and not mine?!

Do you prefer to be hated or pitied?

Hated. Pitied means the one who pities views themselves as above me; hate still respects the hated person as one capable of being hated.

shopaholic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 5:14 am

Because we don't keep the "rules" in relation to social interaction, so they think we are contemptuous, rude & unfriendly.

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 5:32 am

It is also anything different and unfamiliar - for example this is the reason why some people are racist or sexist or homophobic - it is that they feel threatened by what they don't understand.

nannarob
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 5:50 am

I have been on the board for some time now.

I think that many NTs expect complex interactions, sending out cues and receiving vibes that most aspies don't pick up. These cues are subconscious but very strong.

So contact is made at an emotional and sunconscious level.

Does an aspie interact more strongly mind to mind? Certainly I believe that feelings are locked up and there are few easy ways to express them. Many aspies have no recourse but to have a melt down.

That's one difference and I agree that most people do not easily accept anyone who is different. Hence the problems for racial minorities, gays etc.

I think that the only way to overcome the rejection that aspies experience is by patience and acceptance. NT's like me have to become still and to really listen. We also have to learn a new language just as the aspie has to learn the social language.

I think there must be some chronic learning disability that is so prevalent among NT's that it goes unnoticed by the "experts". Krex

Cheerlessleader
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 6:52 am

Mw99 wrote:
Berserker wrote:

It seems to me that, not only do they not understand AS, but they don't want to understand it.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 7:10 am

Hate is everywhere.

It's a human thing (have a look in yourself and see your own hate).

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 7:13 am

NTs are nervous and uncomfortable around those they don't understand...and this is true:

Cheerlessleader wrote:
but they don't want to understand it.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 7:20 am

[quote="KimJ"]We're all raised to understand what's right and wrong, good and bad and expected and not expected. Well, we display "not quite right" and we are the "unexpected". Some autistics are forgiven because they "look" disabled. whatever that means.

I remember years ago, when my son was about 3 (he still fit in the seat of shopping cart). We were at the pharmacy and had to wait for my husband's meds. Something set my son off, he wasn't speaking but otherwise "looked normal and healthy". He was crying at the top of his lungs. I couldn't soothe him, hold him, scold him or anything.

It was taking an awfully long time. Soon, people were loudly talking about "I'd get slapped if I did that!", glaring at us, me. We finally got called up and I got the meds. I looked over and there was a mom with her "clearly autistic" child. He was inside the cart, older than my son and rocking, hitting his head and moaning. No one said a word, no one even looked at them. For a moment, I was jealous of that mom. I started to cry. Why do they forgive her son and not mine?!

quote] They could explain the other child's behaviour by saying to themselves he wasn't "normal". They just don't "get" that a normal looking child would behave any differently to the ones they were used to.

Unfortunately, I would have got very distressed in a shop with a yelling child and the aspieness would have started to come out - putting my hands over my ears, mumbling to myself, getting agitated. Usually I can act fairly "normal" in public but noises that are really loud can cause this facade to drop very quickly.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

emo000
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Nov 2007, 8:07 am

'us' ?

speak for yourself.

maybe 'they' have reason to hate you, most likely 'they' could not care less.

( this an intelligent enough response for a snob ?)

emo000

22 Nov 2007, 8:08 am

Cheerlessleader wrote:
but they don't want to understand it.

yes, probably have better things to do with their time. :)

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 8:10 am

Quote:
( this an intelligent enough response for a snob ?)

??? (I'm Aspergian, I don't deal well with ambiguity.)
Are you saying
You are a snob?
The OP is a snob?
We are all snobs?
You envision that a snob may read this?
Something I haven't thought of?

People don't like difference. Also, NTs have as much trouble reading us as we have reading them. Misunderstandings occur.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I