Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kaid
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Nov 2007, 7:28 pm

I don't remember ever having any interest in trains, whats the attraction?

AlexUK
Raven
Raven

25 Nov 2007, 7:51 pm

Trains have always been a major part of my life. I was taken to see an HST (high speed train) when i was little and apparently i really loved it. Some of my family have worked on the railways and for me the local history of trains is fascinating in my part of England.

As well as that i have fond memories of seeing NSE(Network South East) Class 50`s on the sea wall at Dawlish and have also worked on some preserved diesels. I Also love the history of Brunel and his building of the GWR(Great Western Railway), but on top of this i love the romance and thrill of trains. But above all i love the potential that railways hold as a form of transport and in this country are really underestimated.

The usual joke is about British Rail and the poor service. As a network its unloved and uncared for and i think that if it was cared for and invested heavily then we would have probably one of the best networks in the world.

The Victorians gave us SOOO much and we are the ones that just dont care............except for the ones that can see.
I can see a time come when the roads will be closed, new lines opened and run by electric......after all isnt that the greener way we should all going???

Sorry to drone on but this is just a fraction of what i have to say about trains. Did anyone mention how i felt about cars ?? :?

SpaceStace
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Nov 2007, 8:07 pm

richie wrote:
If it weren't for other passengers, trains would be my main means of transportation.

:lol:

I commute 3 hours every weekday. I find the train so much more relaxing than half that amount of time driving, except for the damn people! But I just crank up my iPod and lose myself in a novel and I'm fine... unless some idiot is triggering my claustrophobia, which luckily doesn't happen very often.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2007, 12:23 am

Trains were my first obsession... I'm trying to make a comeback by working in the rail industry - if I get a successful transfer before they let me go.