Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 10:54 pm

Well, are we?

I'm not, seeing as though I never did schoolwork.

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: California coast, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Cosmos

24 Nov 2007, 11:01 pm

I think it's too general a question. I would be tempted to say yes, given that aspies are less prone to small talk, and I think small talk does very little in the way of enhancing intelligence. (Maybe small talk helps NTs learn more than it helps Aspies.) I bet that if you did studies and plotted the result, you would see very little correlation. Of course, most tests to measure intelligence are pretty subjective anyways, and it also varies depending on what type of intelligence you're measuring.

I usually reject questions like that, because a conclusive yes or no answer could lead to one side discriminating against the other.

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 11:09 pm

My knee-jerk reaction is to say yes. But then I see threads like this and I pause to reconsider.

For the most part, I would say yes.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 11:22 pm

I think generally Aspies are suppose to be high IQ. But I've come across a few that are average to even below average IQ. So its all just generalizations.

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 11:27 pm

There are many kinds of intelligence. Thing about apies is, alternate perspective, logic separated from emotion, that makes a difference.

Capriccio
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Nov 2007, 11:42 pm

That is kind of a tough question to answer. If you want to talk about facts, I always see it quoted as Aspies having "normal or higher IQ ranges," probably indicating that Aspies are better on working with facts (though that could also partially stem from the need to focus on one specific area or hobby and pursue it like an obsession). I think about the fact that I'm not wired to interact with people, and I can't help but think that maybe social skills can legitimately be a form of intelligence too. When you think about it, it's quite as necessary as the ability to work with facts. Even the job, you need to make a personal impression on people. Seeing the way that the youth pastor at our church can interact so smoothly with people about 30 years younger than him, it really amazes me.

All that to sya, I think it's subjective too.

Unknown_Quantity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Nov 2007, 11:48 pm

All it is is a slightly higher probability. Aspies can be just as idiotic as everyone else. The thing to remember is that we are not likely to be more idiotic, just because we have AS.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 11:49 pm

People with Asperger's aren't thought to have mental retardation; meaning they're no different than "normal" people in level of intelligence.

The cognitive pattern is usually more extreme in people with Asperger's, so you may be more intelligent in one area at the expense of others, but that has its own gifts and curses.

The former is correct; the latter is too going by anecdotal accounts of those at Attwood's (the psycho told me).

Anyone know the overall IQ of adults with autistic disorder?

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 11:50 pm

I predict those on the spectrum would follow a standard normal distribution in regard to their scores on intelligence tests, just like neurotypicals. The distribution may be skewed differently, but I predict the average will still be an IQ at or near 100.

Goche21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2007, 12:34 pm

I think that aspies are more focused, so when they fixate on something they'll become experts in that field. Rather then NT's who try to divide their attention over many different fields and become only good. It doesn't mean either is smarter, it's just the way it works. Had Einstein been an NT he would still have been brilliant, but he wouldn't be worthy for history the way he is now.

I'm an NT for the record, so no bias here.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 12:43 pm

I'm smart with things and dumb with people..;)

Likho
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2007, 12:49 pm

I dunno, I'm rather not.

bheid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2007, 12:56 pm

I am! Don't know about the other aspies though.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

25 Nov 2007, 12:57 pm

since i got a bogus education and numerous family problems i dont think im very book smart. hopefully all is not lossed though

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 1:54 pm

I think I'm smart. Like you, I never did schoolwork either. That was because it was either projects that involved alot of writing (which i hate), or it's stuff that's so asinine that after doing three problems I just gave up because it was actually too easy.

InSpades
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Nov 2007, 1:59 pm

It depends how smart is defined. I consider smart being able to create relationships and have etiquette. By that definition, we are dumb.