Can you tell the aspies from the NTs on these forums?

Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

criss
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 5:01 am

How about you Green tea?

What are your feelings?

I find myself curious about the issue in hand, simply because I have only recently been dx'd.

I find it a deeply interesting time for me. When I fist joined WP I was very insecure, feeling that because I find science, maths, computer games, star track and aliens stuff deeply dull and void of beauty, I felt a freak and a fraud. So in this time I learned a lot about the interests of people on the spectrum.

I also learned that there are many people like me who like poetry, aesthetics & the less rule based spiritualities (by-passing love in favour of sin and Judgment) and contemplative living.

I do observe that often people write really long sentences with no breathing space, so to speak, I get overwhelmed with this and tend to not read texts that are not broken up, thats a shame, as when I do struggle to concentrate (I have ADD as well) it is often fruitful.

Thank you greentea for starting this thread.
cx

"We are here on earth for a little space to learn to bear the beams of love." (William Blake)

Thank God for science, but feed me poetry please, as I am one that desires the meal & not the menu. (My own)

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 2:40 pm

I don't know if I can tell or not, because I don't know who is aspie and who is NT here. All I know is some people here remind me of myself, and some others remind me very much of the world that surrounds me outside.

criss
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 6:48 pm

that's interesting.thank you

"We are here on earth for a little space to learn to bear the beams of love." (William Blake)

Thank God for science, but feed me poetry please, as I am one that desires the meal & not the menu. (My own)

Whisperer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Nov 2007, 8:32 pm

I'm clueless. . .

I do notice a difference, I think:

In every other forum I've been to there are a few obnoxious pedants and a majority of very dull people that spam, make cliques and basically focus on everything other than the sane exchange of ideas.

Here people seem both smarter and less pedantic. Almost everyone seems to make meaningful and articulate posts as oppossed to a few (who half the times are bullies) in "normal" forums. I have seen almost no conflicts (say, flame wars; explicit or not) as well. In theory, it should always be like this while, in practice, most existing forums* are quite pathological in their dynamics.

* trying to avoid that dichotomy

Last edited by Whisperer on 27 Nov 2007, 8:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 8:32 pm

I couldn't tell the two apart in real life either.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

27 Nov 2007, 8:47 pm

Greentea wrote:
Many NTs benefit from and contribute to these forums and there's no necessity to proclaim that they're NTs. Often they don't. But do you aspies notice them?

No...I don't notice them.

No people with AS are the same, so you can't really tell who is AS or NT just by reading their posts on a message board.

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 9:02 pm

Greentea wrote:
Many NTs benefit from and contribute to these forums and there's no necessity to proclaim that they're NTs. Often they don't. But do you aspies notice them?

There have been times (in the past) when I came here sort of beaten up or defeated or confused and just wanted to vent with people who would understand. I got replies back that were totally NOT understanding. They didn't say they were NT but after a few days I saw there were more replies and they DID understand and commiserated and shared similar experiences of their own. So, my conclusion was that the first replies I got were from NTs or really HFA who just never had the same experience.

Other than that, I don't think about it. I assume people are people and when they share an experience that touches me I feel a kinship with them.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

27 Nov 2007, 9:05 pm

nope. although i do have suspisions on illnesses and famous last names and rare occurances like lightning and murder plots though

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2007, 12:58 pm

I can tell who's speaking from painful experience and introspection caused by repeated frustration, and who is speaking in a moralistic way, with cliches that we aspies know don't work.

Chauo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Nov 2007, 2:28 pm

fernando wrote:
I can spot aspies in real life within a minute of meeting them. Spotting non-aspies here is way harder but i can do it if I read at least 20 spontaneous posts by them.

BTW i believe there is a big distance between aspies and NTs with no one in the middle ground.

Hello.

I'm sorry but i'm not sure if I understand what you mean. I don't live in an englishspeaking country. Do you mean that there are no people that are somewhere in between beeing an AS or NT or that there is a big differens if you don't count them?

Chauo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Nov 2007, 2:32 pm

Icarus_Falling wrote:
I view autism as a multi-dimensional (at least three) spectrum, and can find no clear delineation between the "end" of neurotypicalism and the beginning of autism.

I agree with that. I think it's question of "how much" rather than "either or"

By the way. Have you noticed that your profile says that you have made 999 post? :)

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2007, 2:57 pm

I frequently check profiles..just to see...but I really don't care...I myself don't know what to list myself as. Lately it has been "other autistic spectrum disorder"....I have been diagnosed with ADD...but it was a kinda shabby diagnosis..
and if I am not an aspie then i might have PDD-NOS....

I do have autistic traits...odd gait, odd voice, bad motor skills, narrow interests, bad social skills, executive dysfunction, dyscalculia, a congenital predisposition towards many of my traits....etc..etc..etc....and the sheer volume of posts i have amassed in a relatively short period of time should account for something...
I am defintely (i think) not NT....but I can't say I am an aspie because I am not diagnosed.

What do I seem like...?

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2007, 2:08 am

So how do you tell an NT from someone with autism on the message board? My impression is you can communicate a whole lot differently on a message board than face to face because on a message board you are only reading their words not their bodies and faces. In addition you can plan how you want to reply instead of having to spontaneously come up with an answer face to face.

Out of curiousity do I come across as an Aspie on these message boards?

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2007, 2:45 am

It is really hard to say...except that one of the reasons i am so addicted to this board has something to do with the way the majority of the people communicate and whatnot...

It is alot more on a wavelength I am receptive to than the ADD boards I used to be addicted to.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2007, 4:03 am

It's easy to pick up the stereotypical view of Asperger's if you've been here for awhile, many members...have spoken of their narrow/focused interests to a point of intensity that is clinically significant.

It's easy to pick up those who speak of their social difficulties. Overly formal and pedantic speech is easy to see, people taking things literally, people arguing the correct definition of a word within the body, people using a definition for a word that isn't "mainstream", etcetera.

It's easy to see those with a verbal impairment, i.e., autistic disorder, by the way people use language; the substitution of pronouns; odd and repetitious speech. Speaking of which, I would far prefer to say: me would prefer to say or Daniel would prefer to say, but I had a year worth of speech therapy to correct my structure. Echolalia; the repetitious use of words, phrases and what have you (I have both of these in abundance).

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2007, 4:13 am

I highly resent you calling my mode of speech pedantic. Its incredibly subjective, and I would greatly prefer the word punctilious. Gratiam habeo!

:lol: