Society rules..apply/not apply to you?

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2005, 2:15 am

i'm a mixture of all of the above, i think. i'm afraid i DO see myself as outside the rules, sometimes, but i follow them when it suits my purpose - if i need to interact, then i do those rules, etc. have to, to earn a living. doesn't mean i don't think they're daft, sometimes, though. ;)

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2005, 3:33 am

Rule don't apply to me, unless they serve my purpose.

GA

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2005, 9:00 am

They have rules?

ok, just kidding. Like neanthumain, I don't recite the pledge, although I do aknowledge the flag for similar reasons.

I attempt to make small talk, but I normally run out of stuff to say preeettty fast.

I'm not actually sure how many other rules I infringe on or violate. Most of the time I am considered to be polite, so I don't worry to much about it.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2005, 9:32 am

Dej wrote:
Do you guys ever feel that even though society has rules for things somehow you don' t feel that for whatever the reason they just don't apply to you? I have this issue sometimes, were i know it is the rule and its how something is done just becasue its procedure, but somehow I i don't feel that procedures for things or certian rules apply to me.

Do any of you feel the same? How is it that we can seperate our selves from the procedures or rules of society to feel that we can approach something differently than others?

Either I missed the point of this post, or everyone else did. I define "rules" as "laws." And I feel very strongly that many laws should not apply to me.

Best example: anti-pot laws. I just use pot to relax, it doesn't get me very high anymore, and I'm certainly not a menace to anyone, including myself. To prosecute me for using it would be a cruel travesty of justice.

Another example: OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration). They can come into our plant and tell me how I must do my job to be safe. Since I have never, in 41 years of working, had an accident, made a claim for Workmen's Comp, or collected one dime from them, it is obvious that I don't need OSHA's help to work safely.

In general, so many laws are made to control those too stupid to control themselves. I don't need those laws, and I consider attempts to apply them to me to be unfair, illogical, and stupid.

Faraquet
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Aug 2005, 11:35 am

I pretty much do whatever I want. I decide how I want to live my life, nobody else does. There are enough people that blindly follow social rules that society can still function even if a lucky few choose to step aside. I actually act pretty ethically even though I beleive that morality is at least partially fabricated, in the minds of most people. :twisted: I sort of see morality as something that is naturally programmed to develop in people. Any herd animal would need that to survive. Morality is different everywhere you go. I mean it seems like there has been at least some cultures in which things like cannibalism are a-ok. In fact there are many examples of other cultures that have practices that would be considered wrong in our/your culture, that are considered fine in others. MOrality isn't some sort of concrete universal principal ordained by god. The only reason we naturally learn to sort of "fill-in" what we think is right and wrong about life is so that whatever group of people we are a part of can function without people robbing and killing other members of the same species. So when I make my own set of rules I make sure that I make the point that I should not do things that harm others, thats the only real rule I will follow, but sometimes I do it too closely and others times not close enough :roll: Yes, I feel above the rules.