What do you regret the most about your life with Asperger's?

Page 1 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 11:44 pm

I regret not having the maturity and the wisdom that I have now. Those two qualities would have probably spared me a lot of negative memories I still dwell on.

Last edited by Mw99 on 25 Nov 2007, 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 11:45 pm

Not being able to make friends. I can't make friends now.

Belle77
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 11:46 pm

I regret never being understood and accepted.

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 11:49 pm

I regret not being able to relax and do the "fun" things that most people do when they are young, instead of always wanting to be older so that I would have an excuse to be as serious as I am.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2007, 12:39 am

I regret not being more adventureous as a kid, not making friends, not speaking up for myself, not getting married, not having children, not trying harder in college and making something better of myself considering the IQ they said I had in grade school... I should have done more and gone further.

Well darn... I'm just depressed now!

Icarus_Falling
everyman antihero
everyman antihero

26 Nov 2007, 12:53 am

I wish I'd had a better understanding of autism and Asperger's earlier in my life. Like before I was freaking 30 (I'm 34).

All you younglings in your teens who know what Asperger's is... COUNT YOUR FREAKING BLESSINGS. Imagine growing up the way you are, and having NO explanation for being how you are, other than you're "vastly different", or something like that. You wanna end up f****d up? Try that.

OTHER than that...

War without end;
No remorse. No repent.
We don't care what it meant.
Another day, another death.
Another sorrow, another breath.

Good fortune,

- Icarus was a feral Asperger's child...

quirky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2007, 1:10 am

riverotter wrote:
I regret not being able to relax and do the "fun" things that most people do when they are young, instead of always wanting to be older so that I would have an excuse to be as serious as I am.

That's me now - I'll probably feel as you did.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2007, 1:28 am

Icarus_Falling wrote:
- Icarus was a feral Asperger's child...
.[/i]

Icarus was raised by wolves.

Anyway, tough question. Or maybe easy question - let me think. Just being misinterpreted because I think/assimilate differently. I am out of cadence. I've never done anything 'wrong' or 'bad' but I feel, sometimes, I am burnt like a witch. Very hard......I try so hard.

Sometimes the avalanche of external sensory stimuli. I am keenly observant because of this, but the other side is like a seizure disorder and I've cried in public, become faint.

Meltdowns are seriously rough.

I am truly looking through a one-way mirror and no one can see inside but Iwatch - communication disorder. I am locked in a far away place.

I guess that's the short list without details. Technically, I am a HFA and not really an Aspie (the dilineation is blurry). I experience the whole spectrum, not just one end. But I have am cognitively enhanced which is why, the only reason why, I am also considered an Aspie. I share many commonlities with Aspies though. I think I'm an Autie. We are all feral nonetheless.....rabid?

I stare at fire, flickering objects, glittery water......I am autistic.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2007, 1:33 am

I regret that my straight forward clean way of thinking often isnt socially acceptable. Nuance my ass!

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Nov 2007, 2:10 am

I regret not breaking away from my dysfunctional family sooner, and striking out on my own. Doing my mother's job took a lot out of me, and prevented my from finding my niche in life in time.

thyme
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2007, 2:23 am

I regret not living up to my potential on account of Aspergers.

Donkeynomad
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Nov 2007, 2:29 am

I regret not not learning about Aspergers earlier and not finding some sort of classes that could teach me better communication skills. I hate knowing that I am very intellegent but coming over as an idiot whenever I open my mouth.

Rowan

JDoherty
Toucan
Toucan

26 Nov 2007, 2:46 am

Not being able to work with people that easily and finding it difficult to handle negotiations.

I also have problems with panic attacks when things do not go the way I had planned.

Unknown_Quantity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2007, 3:02 am

I also wish I'd known that I had Asperger's earlier in life...

Then again, maybe if I had known, I would have just had an excuse not to try to change some of the behaviour that I now look back on and think, God, I was a lousy human being sometimes.

Maybe it all worked out for the best.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2007, 3:04 am

Not living up to my full potential.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2007, 3:37 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Not living up to my full potential.

But you're amazing since I've know you! Hey, CockneyRebel, WHY is there is no double decker bus emoticon? Why? I think we should make a special request. Instead, the only emoticons we get are little faces with emotions, hearts, etc....sigh.

Separately, I cannot say I truly have 'regrets' about my HFA, but I've had it hard, for sure. Just not congruent with the other's way of being. Hence, serious episode last week which I still have not recover from - ongoing. I do suffer.