Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2005, 10:43 pm

At least 4. Or no more than 1. It depends on who and where.

Krish
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Oct 2005, 11:38 am

Maximum of tree; anymore and I fnd it impossible to know when I can speak, so end up not saying anything. Also with three (rather than two) you don't have to maintain eye contact with the same person the whole time.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2005, 8:12 am

I can't focus on more than 1 person at a time, so relate best in a mutual "paying attention to each other" group of 2. If it's an unfamiliar/fearful scenario then an extra person to help back me up & translate is better, group of 3. Managed to socialize as part of group of 4 but it's not easy or smooth for me. Almost all my interactions are between myself & 1 other, I intensely avoid groups/crowds.
Can't follow or tune in to what's being said, when there are more people. Loud cacaphony of music/voices makes me shrink away/cringe. Can't participate in conversation when everyone's yelling but nobody can hear-like at a bar or a party. Don't feel able to casually insert myself into others' ongoing talk when I'm nearby, whether at a gathering or out in public. Seems too iffy, too risky, and I run out of viable superficial responses...

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2005, 12:32 pm

If it's a real old friend (or someone I just click with that well) where akward silences aren't real akward and we can chill, one on on isn't an issue. One of my friends I can think of who's even a bit on the periphery right now I usually call him or get a call from him, stop over after school (usually like 9:30 or 10 at night once his girlfriend goes to work and the kids are in bed) and we'll usually watch a movie, some NWO, or whatever. Then again in his case I've also known the guy since I was in 11th grade.

As for larger groups though, I kinda prefer 3 or 4. 4 is especially nice because I can usually get by with just adding bits of my own energy, holding off on the comments till I have something pretty glib or funny, and it works out pretty well because no one person has to put much more than 25% in, some people naturally being extroverts end up putting in 30 or 35% just in fulfilling their own needs, and I usually only get stuck putting in 10 or 15% which I'm more than happy with when we're just chillin and it's all small talk.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin