Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 7:24 pm

Am wondering if anyone here gets the same problem as am with fingers,and what it could be/is caused by.
All the fingers on both hands get swollen a lot [not sure exactly how often]-they feel like the same feeling when have been holding ice/snow for a long time,and am currently typing whilst wearing a pair of thin gloves-am lucky because am did not have a pair of gloves until recently as dad took them back-used to use them every winter with the pc-typing with extremely thick thinsulate gloves-horrible.
they feel very numb in the joints especially,but don't feel pain inside,just this strange feeling going through fingers-it feels like waves of warmth and cold? don't know if that is right or not but cant think of any other words for it.
Does anyone else get this problem or something similar regulary and not because have been messing about with snow for too long?
Am not trying to get this added to the DSM for common traits among people with ASD by the way,just wondering whether it's normal for people and what it could be without having to go to doctor,don't like going there unless it's very serious.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 7:44 pm

Do you have Reynaud's Syndrome (or phenomenon)? It is a form of poor circulation. Fingers turn white, then blue, then red.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud's_syndrome
I have arthritis in my hands and the knuckles swell a bit, particularly in thumbs and index fingers. It feels better to wear gloves. They ache so bad in winter.
So yours could be a number of things.
Sorry this is desultory.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 7:48 pm

Do you get hives or anything? I have reynods syndrome and cold articaria(which is when your allergic to the cold and get hives everywhere) Both of them, due to what my dermatologist said is genetic.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 7:49 pm

Do you get hives or anything? I have reynods syndrome and cold urticaria(which is when your allergic to the cold and get hives everywhere) Both of them, due to what my dermatologist said is genetic.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 8:55 pm

riverotter wrote:
Do you have Reynaud's Syndrome (or phenomenon)? It is a form of poor circulation. Fingers turn white, then blue, then red.
I have arthritis in my hands and the knuckles swell a bit, particularly in thumbs and index fingers. It feels better to wear gloves. They ache so bad in winter.
Sorry this is desultory.

Thanks riverotter,is it something to bother going to the doctors about?

Quote:
Do you get hives or anything? I have reynods syndrome and cold articaria(which is when your allergic to the cold and get hives everywhere) Both of them, due to what my dermatologist said is genetic.

Age1600,
are the hives like blisters [with liquid stuff inside] and do they have to be on the hands?
just wondering as am do get the blistery type things elsewhere.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 9:00 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
riverotter wrote:
Sorry this is desultory.

Quote:

Age1600,
are the hives like blisters [with liquid stuff inside] and do they have to be on the hands?

No i get hives all the time and yes their like blisters, quick question for you do you have verrry sensitive skin? like growing up if ppl even gently touched u, ur skin would come off?

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 9:12 pm

Age1600 wrote:
KingdomOfRats wrote:
riverotter wrote:
Sorry this is desultory.

Quote:

Age1600,

No i get hives all the time and yes their like blisters, quick question for you do you have verrry sensitive skin? like growing up if ppl even gently touched u, ur skin would come off?

do get them all over body as well?
have just tried touching skin,and it doesn't come off or do anything other than go red but it's very pale skin so wouldn't expect anything else from it.

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 9:15 pm

Sounds like it would be worth checking out with a doc. Could be something benign, but it could be a sign that something else is wrong (autoimmune, for instance). Meanwhile keep your hands warm. :) I have fingerless gloves for in the house, fairly easy to type with but not perfect.

Sally
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Jan 2008, 4:14 pm

i too have raynaud's syndrome. my fingers go white, sometimes it extends over the rest of my hand as well. the worst time it went as far as my elbows on both arms! if it is raynaud's then it is not serious. if it is really debilitating to you then it is possible to get drugs from doctor which cause vasodilation in the fingers so the blood reaches them & they dont go numb. however i have never taken them as they cause postural hypotension which i already get with having low blood pressure but it would be something to talk to your doctor about if it was really bothering you.

as someone previously said go to see your doctor to make sure it is not something more sinister just to be safe.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2008, 5:24 pm

Sally wrote:
i too have raynaud's syndrome. my fingers go white, sometimes it extends over the rest of my hand as well. the worst time it went as far as my elbows on both arms! if it is raynaud's then it is not serious. if it is really debilitating to you then it is possible to get drugs from doctor which cause vasodilation in the fingers so the blood reaches them & they dont go numb. however i have never taken them as they cause postural hypotension which i already get with having low blood pressure but it would be something to talk to your doctor about if it was really bothering you.

as someone previously said go to see your doctor to make sure it is not something more sinister just to be safe.

thanks sally,
am still trying to work up the strength to go to an appointment,it's an incredible sensory onslaught place and is a rare luxury if am can get out of there without being in meltdown mode-am dreading it as have now been forced to go in two weeks time,to get referal to neurology,am going to bring up the fingers problem then [and every other problem that have been backing up].
Have got a pair of gloves now with part of the fingers missing so can type and do other things great whilst still getting some heat to the hands.

pkd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Apr 2009, 9:13 pm

Heh-

Never been up on one of these before. Having a lot of frustration with my kid's dr's. My 9 yr old has Asperger's and some unusual autoimmune problems with arthritis. My 5 yr old son has been having some strange issue since last summer and afer what seems like a milliion trips to the dr since then they are now taking me seriously and he has a diagnosis of tourettes/ocd. . .also has reynauds, lyme symptoms and had a baad case of strep at what seemed like the beginning of this all. The dr's say these things are not related but have no reasons that all of this is happening at the same time and they are getting zilch back from bloodwork. . .anyone elsse have these things coming together.....also a Sensory Integration diagnosis w/possible spectum

Thanks

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2009, 10:09 pm

that sounds like arthritis or an allergic reaction or poor return circulation - you've got to get that checked out. post up a pic of your hands when they are swollen ;)

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2009, 10:10 pm

Age1600 wrote:

due to what my dermatologist said is genetic [cuteness] ;)

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 3:21 pm

One of my friends and his sister have this thing where if their hands (or feet) touch anything cold, or get too cold, they'll turn numb.

I don't think it's Raynaud's, though...I'm looking at those pictures, and he certainly doesn't get white or blue patches.