What Do You Think of Popular-Type Women?

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2005, 2:34 pm

SineWave wrote:
How on earth could you read "my god you're such a freak" from someone's eyes? Maybe you're just "reflecting"?

We all project are shortcomings onto a vague Other from time to time. I will not state an opinion as to whether Sophist is projecting anything onto these women.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2005, 3:30 pm

Morlock wrote:
Sophist wrote:
For some reason (and this is not such a good negative generalization to make) I want to slap every single teenage/early adult female walking around in flip flops with a cell phone stuck to her ear carrying a single notebook (at university I tend to take MANY books in a heavy bag with me to school) and smacking on gum while trapsing through the hallways. ARGHHHHHHHHH!! !

I usually only get the 'freak' looks before they know me. Then they find I am smart and either want to ask me many questions about the particular class we're taking-- for instance, right before a test-- or they find I have some other talent like in art for an art class and they warm up to me.

But until then I despise them.
:?

Do you ever wear flip-flops? Do you have a cell phone? do you ever chew gum?

Actually, I wear flip-flops very rarely (because I love socks), I have no cell phone (and if I did-- who would I call???), and I hate gum. If I have something in my mouth it is either food or beverage. :)

Perhaps I dislike them in part because they are SOOO different from me. And also because I feel like I'm a side show while they just stare at me. Maybe also because I have an unfortunate anger toward stupidity and ditziness and I associate this type of person with that. (Not saying it is either a good nor accurate association, but one I make nonetheless.)

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2005, 3:37 pm

Sophist wrote:
For some reason (and this is not such a good negative generalization to make) I want to slap every single teenage/early adult female walking around in flip flops with a cell phone stuck to her ear carrying a single notebook (at university I tend to take MANY books in a heavy bag with me to school) and smacking on gum while trapsing through the hallways. ARGHHHHHHHHH!! !

I usually only get the 'freak' looks before they know me. Then they find I am smart and either want to ask me many questions about the particular class we're taking-- for instance, right before a test-- or they find I have some other talent like in art for an art class and they warm up to me.

But until then I despise them.
:?

Oh god, the flip-flop fanatics. Even in winter. I don't see how these chicks don't wind up getting frostbite. I'm about 50% of what you despise; I have a cell phone and an roal fixation so I have gum a lot.

Ever notice the 18-24 year old girls all have the exact same hairstyle- a messy ponytail wadded up in a butterfly clip? The only women with hair shorter than mine in most of my classes are education majors in their thirties. ((They tend to be annoying as well but for different reasons.))

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2005, 3:41 pm

Hehe. How true. They're like cookie-cutter people!! ! All the same...

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2005, 6:11 pm

I don't go to college and haven't, regrettably....I would love to.

Not too many flip flop girls here, but plenty of ditzy ones. I actually have encountered a couple of popular type girls that I did like. One was smart, very outspoken and blunt, very verbal. She was pretty cool, and very nice to me. She defended me when I needed it from other girls. The other one is probably somewhat ditzy, but I like her anyway (so far): she's funny and easy to get along with, and her grandpa is autistic so she is used to my brand of weirdness and even enjoys it. :-)

What I don't like are superficial snobby types, and this is more offensive if they're dull-witted and heavily made up. For me, when a girl has a lot of makeup on, smokes, and acts or actually is stupid/ditzy, the message I get is: SLUT. I have a special and specific abhorrence for any girl who acts as though she's the cat's meow...along with the sorts who read lots of romance novels because no real man is good enough for them! :roll:

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2005, 9:14 pm

"Flip Flops" are awesome. I wear them all summer and half of winter, too.

I don't see what's wrong with doing your hair a certain way, either.

This thread is just as bad as trashing anyone that's different, I mean I don't really care if you comment on their personalities because they're sh*t, but about their clothes and hair?

That's just as bad as making fun of an aspie for the way they dress.

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2005, 10:11 pm

Whats wrong with messy ponytails?

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2005, 7:29 am

hale_bopp wrote:
"Flip Flops" are awesome. I wear them all summer and half of winter, too.

I don't see what's wrong with doing your hair a certain way, either.

This thread is just as bad as trashing anyone that's different, I mean I don't really care if you comment on their personalities because they're sh*t, but about their clothes and hair?

That's just as bad as making fun of an aspie for the way they dress.

However, there is an uncanny coincidence that quite a few girls who look like this have personality characteristics which get on my nerves.

It is definitely a generalization, but it hasn't come out of nowhere. And many of these girls that I've met are not helping to dispell the stereotype.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2005, 7:42 am

Are flip flops like thongs? I have to wear open toed shoes because closed in shoes make my feet feel like they're suffocating and it is almost like a physical pain (the sensory issues coming in). :x

Chewing gum can make one look a bit like a cow chewing its cud. :lol:

The kind of girls/women who have annoyed me the most since I was a teenager are the tarty ones. In some strange, undefinable way, they are seen as a threat. :evil:

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

fahreeq
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2005, 10:34 am

Pandora wrote:
Are flip flops like thongs? I have to wear open toed shoes because closed in shoes make my feet feel like they're suffocating and it is almost like a physical pain (the sensory issues coming in). :x

From what I understand, flip flops are the same thing as thongs (Thong sandals, that is!)

Now that I'm out of college and working full-time, thankfully I don't see many of the ditzy type people described in this thread. I share an office with one, but that's another story for another day. :twisted:

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2005, 6:05 pm

To clarify, there's nothing "wrong" with the ponytail thing, or the flip-flop thing (save for aforementioned possibility of frostbite). It's just a bizarre overwhelming trend.

EDIT: Not even a trend nessessarily with a type of person, it just seems like I'm usually the only female my age in most of my classes who does not have this hairstyle or wear flip flops. So, again, nothing wrong with it, I'm just bizarre, and probably feel excluded, etc. etc. AND WISH MY HAIR WOULD GROW FASTER

MovieMogul
Toucan
Toucan

27 Aug 2005, 9:34 pm

The characteristics these people are referring to, such as the hair, are not inherently ditzy, slu*ty, or any of the other terms. It's because these nasty girls are so obsessed with fashion, they go straight for the latest trends without a second thought. So all these girls, who are horrible inside, tend to look the same because they can only be popular by being fashionable. So they all adopt these styles (which they probably laughed at in disgust a week or a month ago) to make themselves hip, which in turn makes them social.

I wonder how many of these types of girls are actually confronted by others about their personality or bad habits (such as verbal/physical abuse). And about that, what sort of physical abuse do they do? I know there were a few of these girls at school, but I never saw any physical abuse happen.

ps... talking about latest trends, I read the Sunday Mail last week, and I found out that brand names T-shirts are the new thing and selling for upto $300!! That's 3 weeks pay for me! I think I'll stick to my $10 Target T-shirt, thanks... Maybe print a cheap Rolls Royce logo on it and below it, 'Cost: $15!!'

http://actionman133.isa-geek.net:8080/

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2005, 10:37 pm

Sophist wrote:
However, there is an uncanny coincidence that quite a few girls who look like this have personality characteristics which get on my nerves.

It is definitely a generalization, but it hasn't come out of nowhere. And many of these girls that I've met are not helping to dispell the stereotype.

Of course, your personality has never gotten on anyone's nerves before. :roll: What if I met a woman who always wore long pants, vests, and short-cropped hair and she had a horrible personality? Let's say she was utterly self-centered, inflexible, narrow minded, contemptuous, judgmental, inconsiderate, unsympathetic, disagreeable, overanxious, and self-limiting? Would it be wrong to conclude you, given you dress like such a woman, would behave like her too? What if I met several such women who had similar personality flaws? Am I to conclude you have some narcissistic and obsessive-compulsive personality disorder before having heard you speak a complete sentence?

How come many of these popular-type women I've met have been friendly and sympathetic more than the bad-attitude ones? Am I to conclude it is the stereotypes you hold against them that keep you from treating them just like normal human beings? If you were among your "own kind," would you make so many assumptions about them? Is there even such a thing as your "own kind"? I'm not completely sure it's not all in your head or at least not mostly in your head.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2005, 11:26 pm

Quote:
What if I met a woman who always wore long pants, vests, and short-cropped hair and she had a horrible personality? Let's say she was utterly self-centered, inflexible, narrow minded, contemptuous, judgmental, inconsiderate, unsympathetic, disagreeable, overanxious, and self-limiting?

I could be wrong and my subtlety meter could be off, but are you insulting me?

If so, please PM it to me so you don't get a warning on here and we can have a little more open communication.
:? :? :?