Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

roboticalien
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Dec 2007, 11:54 pm

I found this in the "Brain Fitness" entry on Wikipedia. It provided me with some amount of inspiration and hope:

Quote:
Neurogenesis

Neurogenesis is the creation of new neurons. The more active a particular brain cell is, the more connections it develops with its neighboring neurons through a process called dendritic sprouting. A single neuron can have up to thirty thousand such connections, creating a dense web of interconnected activity throughout the brain. Each neuron can then be stimulated directly through experience (real or imagined) or indirectly through these connections from its neighbors, which saves the cell from cell death.

Physical exercise boosts the brain’s rate of neurogenesis throughout life, while mental exercise increases the rate at which those new brain cells survive and make functional connections into existing neural networks. Both physical exercise and the challenge from mental exercise increase the secretion of nerve growth factor, which helps neurons grow and stay healthy.

Mental stimulation

Consistent mental challenge by novel stimuli increases production and interconnectivity of neurons and nerve growth factor, as well as prevents loss of connections and cell death. The Advanced Cognitive Training for Independent and Vital Elderly (ACTIVE) nationwide clinical trial is so far the nation's largest study of cognitive training. Researchers found that improvements in cognitive ability roughly counteract the degree of long-term cognitive decline typical among older people without dementia. The results, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association in 2002, showed significant percentages of the 2,802 participants age 65 and older who trained for five weeks for about 2 1/2 hours per week improved their memory, reasoning and information-processing speed.

Joe Verghese, M.D. found that people could reduce their risk of Alzheimer’s by 64% simply by raising their activity score by 1 point, and a 1-point increase corresponded to a reduction of dementia risk by 7%. That means that people could lower their dementia risk by 7% simply by adding one activity per week (such as doing a crossword puzzle or playing a board game) to their schedule. According to the findings of that same study, subjects who did crossword puzzles four days a week had a 47% lower risk of dementia than subjects who did a crossword puzzle just once a week.

Effective mental stimulation should provide:

* Novelty
* Variety
* Challenge
* Practice

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2007, 11:58 pm

I have heard of that before, but I did not know about the relationship between physical exercise and mental exercise. Interesting!

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 12:31 am

Anyone want to play me Go? We'll make new neurons, together!

roboticalien

06 Dec 2007, 3:30 am

Go is my favorite game! Where can we play?

Beammeup
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2007, 4:21 am

roboticalien wrote:
I found this in the "Brain Fitness" entry on Wikipedia. It provided me with some amount of inspiration and hope:

Quote:
Neurogenesis

Neurogenesis is the creation of new neurons....

My newest read is a book by Jeffrey M. Schwartz, M.D., and Sharon Begley -- The Mind & the Brain -- , Neuroplasticity and the Power of Mental Force.

It speaks to the Brains ability to create new pathways (Neuroplasticity). I take it to mean this is a mechanism, which our brains can use to heal themselves given the right positive environment... Well, mine does not need healing, just less negative stimuli, such as the rants from teens not wishing to do their homework... sheeesh…

And if I could just get ‘Neuroplasticity’ working…. Life would be good… I’d like some new pathways that remind me where I put my keys…

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 8:30 am

roboticalien - I love the sound of this. If you'd like to do some of these exercises here on a thread - it would be great.

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 8:33 am

yes, yes, yes, yes, YES!

This is the way. How to connect. Multi-levels. Wholistically - from the inside out, bottom up, upwards down, all directions - all bodies, emotional, spiritual, physical, psychological. Rebuilding the broken down and torn disconnects with healthy neurons. Oxytocin is key.

Beammeup wrote:
roboticalien wrote:

Quote:
Neurogenesis

My newest read is a book by Jeffrey M. Schwartz, M.D., and Sharon Begley -- The Mind & the Brain -- , Neuroplasticity and the Power of Mental Force.

It speaks to the Brains ability to create new pathways (Neuroplasticity). I take it to mean this is a mechanism, which our brains can use to heal themselves given the right positive environment... Well, mine does not need healing, just less negative stimuli, such as the rants from teens not wishing to do their homework... sheeesh…

And if I could just get ‘Neuroplasticity’ working…. Life would be good… I’d like some new pathways that remind me where I put my keys…

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 8:35 am

EvilKimEvil wrote:
I have heard of that before, but I did not know about the relationship between physical exercise and mental exercise. Interesting!

Endorphins my dear EKE. Endorphins.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 9:25 am

Beammeup wrote:
roboticalien wrote:

Quote:
Neurogenesis

Neuroplasticity CAN be used to heal the brain, but it usually speaks of improving abilities and learning new things. In other words, the NUERal system is PLASTIC! If something is plastic, it can easily be formed, and that is where the term PLASTIC surgery comes from. They don't generally use ANY kind of plastic!

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 9:47 am

Exertion = heat = fire ignites the heart, which ignites the emotions which ignite the neurotrasmitters to fuse.

Fever improves autism symptoms
Wed, 05 Dec 2007 17:25:36

A recent study in Baltimore has demonstrated considerable improvements in the behavior of autistic children when they have fever.

According to the study published in the journal Pediatrics, fever is associated with less hyperactivity and irritability as well as improved communication in such children.

Findings showed that behavior improvement was not dependent on the fever degree.

Scientists claim that fever directly affects brain function by changing the impaired connections responsible for sending information.

They believe fever may affect brain function on a cellular level by influencing the production of immune-system signaling proteins known as cytokines.

The study may result in treatments for autism spectrum disorders.

Autism is a common developmental disorder, characterized by impaired social interaction, problems with verbal and nonverbal communication, and unusual, repetitive, or severely limited activities and interests.

© Press TV 2007. All rights reserved. Our privacy Policy
http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=33 ... id=3510210

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

06 Dec 2007, 10:29 am

when i first read this thread i thought it said brain fitness :lol:

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

06 Dec 2007, 10:34 am

wait a minute it does say brain fitness. why did i confuse it with brian fitness? :lol: :lol: :lol:

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 11:25 am

richardbenson wrote:
wait a minute it does say brain fitness. why did i confuse it with brian fitness? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Er, could be you could use some cerebral workouts to trim the fat around the reasoning faculties.