The main problem with College- Living with Students

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Brian003
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Dec 2007, 5:15 pm

Hi; I just wanted to see if anyone else seems to have the same problems as me in a College based setting.....

It was strange because when I first started College I was perfectly alright with living with other people and I didn't try very hard in school(Because my school was very easy and I was able to get a high GPA without studying very much) and I wasn't really very bothered with other people.

Now that I am taking the time and mental effort to succeed in a much harder/competitive College I realize just how much the other students can aggravate me on a daily basis.

I guess it is the little things that always get to you:

A) From my experience; sleep is not an essential thing in the minds of my roommates. When I had a roommate this semester I got so angry that I asked him to go to sleep at midnight(Which; giving that we go to a competitive school isn't really asking very much). He told me that he relaxes at night by either playing his damn xbox or chatting with his grilfriend online. He would do this until 2AM every morning and I would wake up around 7-7:30 am on usually around 4.5 hours of sleep. Which dropped my exam grades.

B) There shalt be noise. Even in the middle of finals week at 3:00-4:00pm when I would presume that people will be either sleeping or studying. Someone is my dorm was playing guitar hero until 3AM last night and people watch TV up until 1AM.

I wouldn't mind if people listen to music, watch TV, play games; or play instruments. The problem is that whenever they do it they always turn the sound on HIGH. And I cannot focus if I keep on hearing the same sound repeated over and over.

C) Invasion of personal space. I don't like it when people come up right smack into my face and tell me about their success story in a certain subject in college....I like having my personal space at all times.

But these are just narrow categories that are represented by many as stereotypes. I wouldn't call what I posted as stereotypes because they happened to me in direct ways when I was in the dorm and now in the apartment.

Just now; after the second day I move into the new apartment I got(Which is a single) I decided to turn on my gamecube and play it for like 30-40 minutes with the TV sound on 9. So my neighbor next door comes and and screams at me.

I make a decision to use headphones when I use it from now on but I then realize that the person living above me(It's 4 single apartments stacked into a building. The apartment complex has 2 floors; and I life on the lower one) is a girl who always invites he boyfriend over who jumps around on the floor(Which is rebounded on the lower floor), plays his guitar, and watches TV around 6 hours every day.

And yet I still use the headphones even when I watch TV. I just don't want to get into fights with people.

I try to be nice with everyone that I meet and I try not to stereotype the people I live next too but no matter what happens it seems like I will be living next to the a-hole type of student.

Maybe the problem is that I am just too nice to other people?

I've lived in a dorm for 1 year/0.5 a semester and an apartment for the remainder of the semester and I've hated every second of it.

It isn't fun and I'd rather be living in my own place whether that be home or whatever at least the other students couldn't annoy me....

liberty
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Dec 2007, 5:26 pm

Repeat after me: "Earplugs are our friends!!" :wink:

They can be used for a variety of things, but sleeping is a good one. Get a vibrating alarm clock (designed for the deaf), pop in the plugs and snooze away!! Works for study time as well. I've even been known to wear earplugs when driving a car that was too loud for me.

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

12 Dec 2007, 5:53 pm

I'm NT and I found living at college hard to take for the same reasons - constant noise, sleep deprivation and lack of privacy.

I then lived in various apartments with various flatmates. The easiest flatmate I had was an Aspie!! We got on really well. We're both bookworms so would sit in the lounge reading books.

I now live on 2.5 acres - heaps of space between neighbours. Surrounded by trees and nature. I love it!

Hang in there! It is difficult, but once you finish your education, you'll be (hopefully) able to afford somewhere decent to live.

Regards
Helen

soundlessenigma
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Dec 2007, 7:51 pm

That's why I don't have a roommate.

Last year in my freshman dorm I got a call saying I was too loud. Though I always go out of my way for others and was in no way loud. Then you've got people playing football in the hallway or yelling about drugs at 4AM and yet they get away with it

Yeah, they like to stick it to you if they know you're nice. They see it as a weakness. Funny, I stopped caring and nobody's bothered me this year. Luckily the people in my new dorm are a little more grown up in this respect.

apinkpony
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Dec 2007, 9:18 pm

Ugh. I concure.

My roommate is sooo annoying. So are the boys above us, and all the girls around us. Quiet hours starts at 10:30. No one is quiet until 1 or 2 am.

Annoying things my roommate does: Leaves her phone on high when she goes to sleep. Then her friends text her all night. Does she turn it down? No. When I am sleeping either in the morning or this week *finals* during the day... she comes in, turns on all the lights, turns on her music, plays her computer games, etc.

The boys above us are running up and down the hall all time time, jumping, screaming, listening to loud music, etc.

Our wingmates are always up incredibly late, listen to loud music, etc.

I am very senstive to sound and lights. So I have tried eyemasks and earplugs, but they just do not work well enough. Next year hopefully I will be getting a single room.

alex
Developer
Developer

12 Dec 2007, 9:25 pm

apinkpony wrote:
Ugh. I concure.

My roommate is sooo annoying. So are the boys above us, and all the girls around us. Quiet hours starts at 10:30. No one is quiet until 1 or 2 am.

Annoying things my roommate does: Leaves her phone on high when she goes to sleep. Then her friends text her all night. Does she turn it down? No. When I am sleeping either in the morning or this week *finals* during the day... she comes in, turns on all the lights, turns on her music, plays her computer games, etc.

The boys above us are running up and down the hall all time time, jumping, screaming, listening to loud music, etc.

I am very senstive to sound and lights. So I have tried eyemasks and earplugs, but they just do not work well enough. Next year hopefully I will be getting a single room.

What type of earplugs? If properly used, earplugs can (almost) completely remove outside sounds but it's very hard to actually know how to use them which actually involves tugging on your earlobe in a very exact direction while inserting the plug.

Although I've been in a situation where I got woken up by noise even while wearing earplugs. Best advice: find housing off campus with a friend you trust to be very ver quiet.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2007, 9:50 pm

alex wrote:
apinkpony wrote:
Ugh. I concure.

What type of earplugs? If properly used, earplugs can (almost) completely remove outside sounds but it's very hard to actually know how to use them which actually involves tugging on your earlobe in a very exact direction while inserting the plug.

Although I've been in a situation where I got woken up by noise even while wearing earplugs. Best advice: find housing off campus with a friend you trust to be very ver quiet.

I been only woken up by a rock thrown at my window and by a fall of my wall scroll twice. I never been woken up by anything else.

apinkpony
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Dec 2007, 9:52 pm

I have the hardcore construction style earplugs. Lol. And yea, I know how to put them in. It just shows how loud people are.

I wish I could live off campus but unfortunately we are not allowed to until we are atleast 20 or of junior status. I have a while to go before I am either of those things (more than a year...) It will be fall 09 before I am living off campus. I am going to try to get a single though so I can atleast deal with the most direct irritants.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2007, 9:53 pm

Also living off campus does have some benefits but it can cost an arm and leg with the housing pricing and the market as well. I just thinking in an economical point of view.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2007, 10:51 pm

Thank God for Section 8 housing assistance so I could afford to live in an apartment. Living in the dorms would of driven me insane.

Brian003
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2007, 12:21 pm

Yeah, I'm living in an apartment right now. But it still isn't really that much better than the dorm because i have 3 different single apartments next to me all of which are girlfriend/boyfriend relationships.

And the place is pretty compact so I can hear them arguing all day long.......

This may seem rather random but I liked how there was never any bugs/insects in the dorm rooms.

Just my luck, In the middle of Winter I have a little black ant infestation in the main room of my apartment. I sprayed bug spray so about 20 ants will appear dead every day and about 1-2 spiders will pop up.

I will say that there is just a whole lot more things to worry about in the apartment that being crammed up in the dorms....

quirky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2007, 4:51 pm

Yeah...I'm a freshman now. People never sleep, and don't get that I suffer from insomnia so if I go to bed at 3 AM - I actually don't sleep till 5 AM, so it hits me a lot harder than it hits them. Earplugs barely cover all the talking. There are no quiet hours. And my roommate is a very nice but emotional person, always having some type of breakdown that I am totally unable to handle because I'm an introverted person who doesn't understand romantic relationships.

apinkpony
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Dec 2007, 6:40 pm

... I have insomnia too. I work very hard to control it, but lately I too have been going to bed at anywhere from 3 to 5 in the morning. During finals I took a large dose of Nyquil at around 11pm every night to go to sleep. Very bad, I know, but I had to.

The bad thing about ear plugs is a) they sometimes fall out with me tossing and turning. b) if they don't fall out, then I wont hear my alarm clock.

sephardic-male
Toucan
Toucan

13 Dec 2007, 6:42 pm

i don't believe in roommates