Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 2:32 am

Do you have numbers that you "like" and "don't like"?

I ask because sometimes I get off the treadmill and don't like the number, so I get back on until to changes (number of calories spent, steps walked, etc.). Tonight I didn't like 393, so I got back on for a few more. One time I didn't like a hotel room number and asked to have another.

I also have numbers I enjoy. 12:34 on the clock, or any sequential number (i.e. 1:21, 3:23, 1:11, 12:12, you get the idea). I especially enjoy when birthdays come up on the clock, like if your birthday is December 16th and the clock says 12:16. Similarly, I enjoy symmetry in numbers, like license plates with something like BNB-9009 would be appealing.

My daughter is also like this, though differently. She's always been fascinated with numbers and letters and enjoys counting them, repeating them and telling us the numbers for everything from our street address and phone number to how many M&Ms are in the bag. Wondering how common this is.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 2:40 am

My god I love symmetrical numbers and things like 12:16 on Dec 16 (although here in the UK, it would be 11:12, 11th December).

I hate numbers with 6 in them (not anything to do with the devil though), and I hate numbers that have things to do with 6, i.e. 18, 26. I have actually ran the extra kilometre or asked for different things on this basis.

I love prime numbers. I even count the number of sips of drink that I take, or the number of times I wipe my hands on a towel, so that it can be prime.

Yes, I am a freak.

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 5:06 am

I have this problem. I dislike the time when it is 12:34. It's a constant reminder to me.

Aquabunny
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Dec 2007, 9:27 am

Yeah, I'm like this too.

I love symmetrical numbers, 22:22 being my favorite time!

When I was in primary school and doing sums, they used to be like stories, the numbers I liked were the heroes (6,5 and 3) and 7 was the super-villain and 4 his slightly stupid sidekick. The answer to the sum would be the outcome of the story.

Also slightly strange, I hate the sound on the tv to be on an uneven number (unless its a multiple of 5) even if its a number I like, I like 3 more than 4 but I cant have the sound on 3 8O

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 1:09 pm

I do get very funny about numbers, but they change from day to day. If it's one I don't like or it doesn't seem symmetrical I'll change it (usually when noone's looking hehe). I love 3.33 and 11.11 and 156 (probably because of the song by Mew). I always seem to look at the clock at 3.33.

I love certain Japanese kana... especially food, house, write, spirit, language (食, 家, 書, 気, 語) possibly because they're among the first I learnt, and also becuase of the flow of writing them.

There've always been certain words I love love love too... none come to mind right now. They change, and don't always have the meaning that they 'have'.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 2:06 pm

Aquabunny wrote:
Also slightly strange, I hate the sound on the tv to be on an uneven number (unless its a multiple of 5) even if its a number I like, I like 3 more than 4 but I cant have the sound on 3 8O

The volume on my hi-fi has to be a multiple of 5.

ev8
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2007, 2:31 pm

Acceptable volume levels in the car or on TV are squares of low numbers and 13. 13 just because it's 13. 10 is ok as well, but not preferable. Except for video games, for which the TV is set to 10 because they tend to be much louder than regular TV. At 9 o clock it's lowered to 9, 10 o clock lowered to 8, and at 11 o clock lowered to 7. Stops at 7 just because it's 7. For Guitar Hero, a slightly louder volume is acceptable due to the necessity of sound to gameplay.

108 is a HUGE number. In Super Smash Bros Melee, there's a phenomenon among my friends and I called the curse of 108. When your damage gets to exactly 108%, you're not going to get any kills before you die. It's remarkably consistent, most likely due to psychological factors. Usually in order to GET a kill you have to deny publicly that the curse exists. I've never beaten the curse, personally. Also if I look at the clock and it's 1:08 am or pm, I go out for a cigarette. Just because it's 108. :)

human_calculator
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Dec 2007, 2:33 pm

the volume on my mp3 player or tv is always a prime number

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 2:42 pm

Ah, like minds :) I love WP!! !

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 3:08 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
Aquabunny wrote:

The volume on my hi-fi has to be a multiple of 5.

Mine too (probably because it only does multiples of 5.. ;) )

Though I do always try and make everything even numbers. Just because they have symmetry, and I like symmetry. It's easier to picture and imagine and work with.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 3:39 pm

I can't set my alarm clock with any number that ends in a 0 or a 5.

But the most perfect time in the world is 3:33. 3 3's. :)

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2007, 5:26 pm

ev8 wrote:
Acceptable volume levels in the car or on TV are squares of low numbers and 13. 13 just because it's 13. 10 is ok as well, but not preferable. Except for video games, for which the TV is set to 10 because they tend to be much louder than regular TV.

Am not much 'into' numbers (mostly a word-y person, not math-y), however there are a few arenas in which # preferences have emerged (as consequence of using the technology or appliance, with viewable # display, in the first place).

Stereo volume numbers that I like: 7,8,10,12,13,15,17,18,20,22,23,25, and so on.
Dislike volume set at these numbers: 6,9,11,14,16,19,21,24. Those #'s seem 'neither here nor there'-they don't end in 0's or 5's, but they're not halfway in between those, either (such as #'s ending in 2 or 3). They (1,4,6,9) seem so vague & indefinate-close to but not quite ending with a 0 or 5.
Same idea with my postcounts online-I don't always succeed, but try to finish/conclude a session of posting with number that ends in the above (preferred) list. Example: I had 839 before posting this here comment, and I don't want to end with that # postcount-it "just feels wrong" in an irrational yet certain way. So this will make it 840, which is okay since I like that # better. It's not a big deal, though-if it doesn't always work out that way I can handle it.

This is wholly unrelated to which numbers I like for other purposes, though. For instance, I quite like the number 19 by itself-just not when it comes to these particular usages/functions.

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 6:57 am

Yes, yes, very much so.
During one period I always went to bed at 22:23. But 22:22 is much more symmetrical.

I obsess about numbers a lot, but I'm not that interested in mathematics. Just the numbers themselves.

Whenever I don't like the number I stop at, I do some more of whatever it may be I'm doing.

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 7:35 am

I do letters more than numbers. I can't do maths to save myself, I think I've got a touch of dyscalculia because there are times where they swim in front of me. But I love letters.

I used to love it in Japanese class when we'd get the calligraphy brushes out and get taught the correct stroke order for different kanji... for days afterwards my books would be full of them.

I do normal calligraphy too in about 5 different scripts... I love writing, I find the flow of writing the words really comforting somehow.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 7:44 am

PLA wrote:
Whenever I don't like the number I stop at, I do some more of whatever it may be I'm doing.

Well put, very succinctly-sums up my p.o.v., too.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 10:15 am

I had an unusual fascination with the number 9 as a child. I guess I have a good reason to like it, because that is the number of cats I have.