Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

IdahoAspie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 7:32 pm

I was thinking, what would be the ideal housing situation for an Aspie?

I am not taking about your "ideal mansion". I am just taking about a house that would be designed to meet the basic comfort needs of an Aspie or a person that was Autistic.

Here is mine:

It would be a house that would be sound proof. It would have windows, but you could adjust the degree of lighting. The bathroom would have a shoot where the clothes would go to the room on the other side of the wall, which would be the laundry room.

The bedroom would have a firm bed, with weighted blanket and television.

The house would have limited stuff in it. Most of it would be neatly organized and have a functional use.

The kitchen would have only paper and plastic dishes that would be dumbed after every meal. Pots and pans would be washed in a dishwasher.

The house would have a part time maid that would wash my clothes, wash the pots and pans. Vaccum, and help remind when I was to do other types of washing and maintainence.

All my mail would go to someone else. They would open it up, read it, and fill out any needed paperwork and write any checks for me. They would go over all the mail briefly with me, and I would just sign the paperwork that I needed. They would make sure every thing was filled out right and sent on time.

What about you? What basic modifications would you like so that you could live a normal life?

Best,

Idaho Aspie

beautifuloblivion
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 7:54 pm

IdahoAspie wrote:
The house would have limited stuff in it. Most of it would be neatly organized and have a functional use.

Yea, I can't stand clutter either. I think my house would have to have a lot of natural lighting, attractive furniture (at least to me), and a coat of rich, colorful paint on all the walls. White walls bring down my mood.

IdahoAspie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 8:02 pm

beautifuloblivion wrote:
IdahoAspie wrote:

Yea, I can't stand clutter either. I think my house would have to have a lot of natural lighting, attractive furniture (at least to me), and a coat of rich, colorful paint on all the walls. White walls bring down my mood.

I would like walls that changed colors, so it wouldfit my mood. Some bright colors can overwhelm my senses at times.

Best,

Idaho Aspie

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 8:20 pm

I already have a laundry shoot in my home which is just inside the bathroom closet and leads to the laundry hamper in the basement where the washer/dryer is located...very convenient indeed.

I don't like paper or plastic dishes and utensils for eating...our landfills are already filling up with too much unnecessary waste
that doesn't breakdown. We live in a "throw away" society and create too much garbage.

There should be a way to do away with all the "junk" mail that I have take to the paper recycling center too.

ASPIEd
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Dec 2007, 8:42 pm

IdahoAspie, your dream house sounds pretty good to me, especially the soundproofing. I would want just a few other things:

1. There would be three laundry chutes going into three different bins: whites, permanent press and colors. This way I wouldn't ever have to sort laundry. When a bin gets full, I know it's time to do wash.

2. Big screen HDTV to watch movies (not commercial television, which I am beginning to loathe)

3. Computer room, with work tables to spread out stuff for my projects

4. A windowless room (like a cave), lit only by candles or low-level lighting, where I could go to decompress by listening to music and/or just sitting in a comfy chair

5. Two stories: living area above, garage/storage/laundry room below (I like a bit of altitude)

I agree with a lack of clutter as well; the only things in the house would be useful/functional, not an accumulation of stuff that I *might* need someday (like I have now).

Like Zsazsa, I wouldn't mind washing plates, etc. in the dishwasher, and a junk mail filter would be nice as well.

IdahoAspie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 8:49 pm

ASPIEd wrote:
IdahoAspie, your dream house sounds pretty good to me, especially the soundproofing. I would want just a few other things:

1. There would be three laundry chutes going into three different bins: whites, permanent press and colors. This way I wouldn't ever have to sort laundry. When a bin gets full, I know it's time to do wash.

2. Big screen HDTV to watch movies (not commercial television, which I am beginning to loathe)

4. A windowless room (like a cave), lit only by candles or low-level lighting, where I could go to decompress by listening to music and/or just sitting in a comfy chair

5. Two stories: living area above, garage/storage/laundry room below (I like a bit of altitude)

I agree with a lack of clutter as well; the only things in the house would be useful/functional, not an accumulation of stuff that I *might* need someday (like I have now).

Like Zsazsa, I wouldn't mind washing plates, etc. in the dishwasher, and a junk mail filter would be nice as well.

OK, I think I like your house better, can I come over :lol:

IdahoAspie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 8:58 pm

Zsazsa wrote:
I already have a laundry shoot in my home which is just inside the bathroom closet and leads to the laundry hamper in the basement where the washer/dryer is located...very convenient indeed.

I don't like paper or plastic dishes and utensils for eating...our landfills are already filling up with too much unnecessary waste
that doesn't breakdown. We live in a "throw away" society and create too much garbage.

There should be a way to do away with all the "junk" mail that I have take to the paper recycling center too.

I think I consume far less than most people so I ok with through away dishes and silverwear. I cannot do laundry, mail, dishes, house cleaning, and all that, it is just too much for me.

I do ask though, is washing dishes, using all that fresh water and heat just to wash a couple dishes any less of a smash on the environment? You know, the entire water heater reheats the entire water tank.

Best,

Idaho Aspie

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 9:06 pm

i'd like a giant kitchen with a working dish washer...i have a tiny dismal one and am too claustraphobic to stay in there for very long...

I'd like a giant workspace...for my arts and crafts and an extremely user-friendly music studio.

I also want indoor plants that improve the air quality....and no flourescent lights anywhere....

I am moving to a new big warehouse and am wishing i had stairs leading to the roof.

ASPIEd

15 Dec 2007, 9:14 pm

IdahoAspie wrote:
ASPIEd wrote:

It's a *dream* house, so sure, come over any time ... :D

IdahoAspie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 9:15 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
i'd like a giant kitchen with a working dish washer...i have a tiny dismal one and am too claustraphobic to stay in there for very long...

Yeah, I would get pretty claustraphobic too being inside a dishwasher. :lol: Sorry couldn't resist.

I like big open spaces too! But the heating bill would be huge.

I don't think I could handle taking care of plants. Every plant I have had died. So rather than killing them, I don't have any.

Best,

Idaho Aspie

IdahoAspie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 9:17 pm

ASPIEd wrote:
IdahoAspie wrote:
ASPIEd wrote:

It's a *dream* house, so sure, come over any time ... :D

I am on my way! :P

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 9:29 pm

My ideal house would be Philip Johnson's "The Glass House"

About "The Glass House" : http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 56,00.html

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 11:37 pm

Some things I would like to have:

Solar panels to knock down that energy bill
One way glass on the windows for privacy (I'm paranoid)
LOTS of power outlets in every room
Insulated and soundproof walls
Lots of STORAGE space, and a system for storing and retrieving items. There are times when I remember that I have something, but forget where it is when I need it.
Trash cans and recycle bins (for glass, paper, plastic, etc.) in every room (and maybe someone who can regularly empty them)
Laundry chutes in both the bedrooms and the bathrooms
A clothesline (that dryer does use up a bit of electricity)

NightsideEclipse
Raven
Raven

16 Dec 2007, 1:30 am

Every aspie is different, therefore the ideal aspie house would differ from aspie to aspie. No one would ask what is the ideal NT house. Let's not give fuel to myths that we are somehow less unique and individually variable than other human beings.

However, I will answer with my own individual preferences in mind. I would love to live in a house with nice decor like paintings on the wall, antique furnishings, and an overall air of elegance. The house wouldn't have to be large either as long as I was able to store my books and have a few other rooms. However, equally important to me would be the things which surround the house; I would like to have woods within walking distance.

liquidcrayons
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Dec 2007, 1:35 am

I like the soundproofing but not early in the morning, I like to listen to the birds. I live very minimal but I would like to have a green house and a great music system, it helps me relax. A big comfortable couch to sleep on, I prefer couches over beds.

nomnom_hamster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Dec 2007, 1:56 am

liquidcrayons wrote:
I like the soundproofing but not early in the morning, I like to listen to the birds. I live very minimal but I would like to have a green house and a great music system, it helps me relax. A big comfortable couch to sleep on, I prefer couches over beds.

Besides birds, i'd like to listen to the rainfall and lightning during a rainstorm. Maybe I'd live somewhere mostly secluded.