What do you think of the name Spokane?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

19 Dec 2007, 1:47 pm

What would you think of it on a human? Does it sound like a boy's name or a girl's name or both? Do you think it be okay for someone to name their child it?


I wanted to name my child that but my boyfriend wouldn't let me because he said our child would get teased and no way he is naming our baby after a city. He won't even let me name our girl London and I wanted to name my kid Spokane after my favorite city but at least he is letting me to name our kids after the Benny & Joon characters.

Spokane seems like it fit a girl better than a boy but I think it be a boy and a girl's name because it means "Children of the sun."

Even my mother took my boyfriend's side because she agreed with him that it won't be a good name to name our kid so she suggested I can name our child after a place in Spokane and I thought "Ferguson" but I hate that name on a human. It's fine as a last name but first name, ugh. So I decided I can name my kids after the movie. Juniper, Benjamin, Sam or Ruthie.

(No I'm not pregnant)



beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Oct 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 689

19 Dec 2007, 1:54 pm

Well, Spokane is a little extreme.....think of what the nick name for that would be. However, having said that, let's say your last name was Smith. Spokane Smith. I don't know. It's got an interesting ring to it. A girl might shorten it to Kane....or something like that.....but hey, what's wrong with it. The only thing I'd do is look up what the word really means, it's probably an Indian name. It might mean, good luck, or it might mean something like "DEAD FROG." I haven't the slightest idea.

Also, think of yourself yelling out the door on a summer evening....."Spoooookaaaannnn," it's getting dark. Time to come in.

Cheers.
Btdt



beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Oct 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 689

19 Dec 2007, 1:59 pm

I know a girl named London. But everyone calls her Lonie.
Just a thought.

Oh, yeah, and her parents had a sense of humor, because her last name is Englund. Which isn't British at all, but when you say it, people say to her "your name is London England, for real?" and then she spells it for them. Makes for fun on her divers's license.



eddiedog8
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Aug 2007
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,431
Location: not in my house not in my street not in my shool but in my own world

19 Dec 2007, 2:02 pm

do u live in the uk????


_________________
(.?´¸.?*¨) ¸.?*¨)
(¸.?´ (¸.?´ .?´ ¸¸.?¨¯`?.)
Ill be back in 1 year (mabey)


busy91
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

User avatar

Joined: 3 Dec 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 395
Location: NYC

19 Dec 2007, 2:12 pm

People name their kids after places all the time.

As far as Spokane, I don't think it rolls smoothly like some other names

Dakota
Austin
Paris

I don't think the child would get teased. But as an adult it might be hard for them to get a job with a name like that. Honestly. Have you ever read Freakenomics? That book talks about naming your child and the reprecussions certain names can have when they grow up.



jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,627

19 Dec 2007, 2:18 pm

Is that spokn or spoKANE? Anyway - the thing with giving a kid the name of a place - you just never know if that's gonna end up being a good thing or not - like what if you named your kid before 9/11 Osama? Now he's screwed for life. I'm not saying that it's going to happen, but what if something awry did go down in Spokane the city - that name would be like a jinx for the kid. Why? Go with something tried and true.


Spokane_Girl wrote:
What would you think of it on a human? Does it sound like a boy's name or a girl's name or both? Do you think it be okay for someone to name their child it?


I wanted to name my child that but my boyfriend wouldn't let me because he said our child would get teased and no way he is naming our baby after a city. He won't even let me name our girl London and I wanted to name my kid Spokane after my favorite city but at least he is letting me to name our kids after the Benny & Joon characters.

Spokane seems like it fit a girl better than a boy but I think it be a boy and a girl's name because it means "Children of the sun."

Even my mother took my boyfriend's side because she agreed with him that it won't be a good name to name our kid so she suggested I can name our child after a place in Spokane and I thought "Ferguson" but I hate that name on a human. It's fine as a last name but first name, ugh. So I decided I can name my kids after the movie. Juniper, Benjamin, Sam or Ruthie.

(No I'm not pregnant)


_________________
Natives who beat drums to drive off evil spirits are objects of scorn to smart Americans who blow horns to break up traffic jams. ~Mary Ellen Kelly


19 Dec 2007, 2:51 pm

busy91 wrote:
People name their kids after places all the time.

As far as Spokane, I don't think it rolls smoothly like some other names

Dakota
Austin
Paris

I don't think the child would get teased. But as an adult it might be hard for them to get a job with a name like that. Honestly. Have you ever read Freakenomics? That book talks about naming your child and the reprecussions certain names can have when they grow up.




Why would their city name be hard on them for getting a job in their adulthood?



busy91
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

User avatar

Joined: 3 Dec 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 395
Location: NYC

19 Dec 2007, 2:55 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:


Why would their city name be hard on them for getting a job in their adulthood?


Because employers tend not to take people with 'different' names seriously. The book said if two people had the same qualifications and one had a traditional name and the other a more 'exotic' name, they would pick the one with the traditional name.

They did some surevey's and such.



jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,627

19 Dec 2007, 3:32 pm

busy91 wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:


Why would their city name be hard on them for getting a job in their adulthood?


Because employers tend not to take people with 'different' names seriously. The book said if two people had the same qualifications and one had a traditional name and the other a more 'exotic' name, they would pick the one with the traditional name.

They did some surevey's and such.


Hardly. Didn't hurt

Oprah
Obama
Uma or
Madonna either for that matter.


_________________
Natives who beat drums to drive off evil spirits are objects of scorn to smart Americans who blow horns to break up traffic jams. ~Mary Ellen Kelly


busy91
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

User avatar

Joined: 3 Dec 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 395
Location: NYC

19 Dec 2007, 3:36 pm

jjstar wrote:

Hardly. Didn't hurt

Oprah
Obama
Uma or
Madonna either for that matter.


Didn't hurt the few we know about. But how many more people are out there with unusual names that have been overlooked for jobs they could do just because the person didn't like their name? We don't know do we? I've seen this in action. I worked in Human Resources and one of the ladies would literally throw a resume in the garbage if the name wasn't traditional. If you had a name like Sheniqua or Dakota, your res would go in the trash w/o her even looking at it.

And why do you think celeb parents name their kids stupid names like Apple? Because when your mom and dad is famous, you can name your kid anything you want. :wink:



AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 55,451
Location: Portland, Oregon

19 Dec 2007, 4:32 pm

I know a girl named London.

You will have no worry naming a kid after a city.


_________________
Silly NTs, I have Aspergers, and having Aspergers is gr-r-reat!


pluto
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2006
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,568
Location: Paisley,Scotland UK

19 Dec 2007, 7:26 pm

With Spokane being an Indian (Salish) name for 'Sun',maybe a softer,more
mellifluous name also relating to Sun could be substituted. Solara,perhaps,
with Spokane as a middle name. Solara Spokane Smith or whatever.


_________________
I have lost the will to be apathetic


autism_diva
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

User avatar

Joined: 13 Dec 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 224

19 Dec 2007, 7:47 pm

pluto wrote:
With Spokane being an Indian (Salish) name for 'Sun',maybe a softer,more
mellifluous name also relating to Sun could be substituted. Solara,perhaps,
with Spokane as a middle name. Solara Spokane Smith or whatever.


I was going to point out that it's the name of a Native American tribe... I don't think it would be a terrible name, but I wonder how many outside of the Northwest would know how to prononuce it... I wouldn't name my own child Spokane...
Vladivostok or Yekatarinburg maybe...
:D

On of my friends was married to a Spokane tribe member. Her son is officially Spokane (as in that's his ethnicity).



Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,545

19 Dec 2007, 7:50 pm

Mhm... It's different. I wouldn't use it as a human name though.



Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Apr 2007
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,549
Location: Beyond the Void

19 Dec 2007, 7:52 pm

what about Guri?
its a norweigen name...
:D