Fragile X/Autism symptoms reversed in mice.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

mmaestro
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2007, 6:48 pm

From Time:

Quote:
The causes of autism remain largely shrouded in mystery, but there are some types of the disorder that can be traced to specific gene defects. The most common of these — responsible for roughly 5% of autism cases — is a flaw in the X chromosome that causes a condition known as Fragile X Syndrome. Because the defect has been studied on a molecular level, it provides a unique window into understanding autism — and treating it. And that is why a paper published in this week's issue of the journal Neuron is bound to generate excitement, even though the work was done in rodents. It shows that wide-ranging symptoms of Fragile X, which include epilepsy, impaired mental functioning, aberrant brain structure and other abnormalities, can be reversed. The work, researchers say, holds enormous promise for humans with Fragile X and probably for other forms of autism as well.
"We were able to correct the excesses [of Fragile X], taking our foot off the accelerator."

What was especially remarkable was the number of ways the intervention reversed Fragile X symptoms. The specially bred mice had fewer seizures, more normal brain structure, a more typical rate of body growth and they performed better on a learning task than mice with uncorrected Fragile X. The experiment suggests that treating Fragile X with a drug that inhibits mGR5 receptors could have similarly healing effects.

"This gives the whole field of autism a lot of hope for targeted treatments that can be beneficial," says Dr. Randi Hagerman, medical director of the MIND Institute and director of the Fragile X Research and Treatment Center at the University of California, Davis. "It's likely that the mGR5 pathway may be involved in other kinds of autism," she says. That means that a drug that works on this pathway could have broad application in treating autism.

Google News

Interesting stuff. It's also interesting that what they're treating in this case is a missing protein which causes an excess of neural connections to be created, which might also explain the extreme abilities that many autists have, as well as their difficulties. I wonder if moderating the amount of the drug administered might allow autists to control the debilitating symptoms they may suffer, while still not removing the autistic part of them which makes them who they are. Thoughts?

Music of the Moment: Radiohead - In Rainbows

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2007, 8:02 pm

Nej, tak.

(No thanks).

GreaseMonkey
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Dec 2007, 9:58 pm

That confirms my theory that autistics never really stop thinking.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

19 Dec 2007, 10:03 pm

How the hell you can tell that a freaking MOUSE has Autism is beyond me.

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2007, 10:53 pm

Quote:

It spins things and doesn't relate well to other mice.

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2007, 11:57 pm

Gbollard wrote:

It spins things and doesn't relate well to other mice.
that sounds like most mice :?

maybe they went by similar physical stuff though, like how different parts of the brain are sized.

petal
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Dec 2007, 2:37 am

LeKiwi wrote:
Nej, tak.

That sounds rather swedish to me.

.., anyway, It does seem really interesting, but more like they are trying to get rid of autism all together, where will the diversity be?
The other question here is whether this is the same with humans.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

20 Dec 2007, 3:57 am

petal wrote:
LeKiwi wrote:
Nej, tak.

That sounds rather swedish to me.

.., anyway, It does seem really interesting, but more like they are trying to get rid of autism all together, where will the diversity be?
The other question here is whether this is the same with humans.

Well to me as soon as something is done on mice and then on humans it's like "Oh no, you can't just alter human genes like that. You're playing God!"

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there