Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

androidbeing
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Dec 2007, 2:17 pm

Does anybody here cry randomly for no apparent reason? If so do you have any idea what causes it? Is it common for people with AS?

Android

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 2:34 pm

When I was around 9 or 10 I did have this problem. Then again I was bullied so I guess it is stress. I only have the vaguest of memory of then. Theses are some of my earliest memories.

Now I have emotional blunting so I would like to cry randomly sometimes. Having said that I do get what you mean there have been some odd things that have made me emotional.

Not meaning to be rude, but from recalling your posts, you sound like a researcher. I have read about how to write questions for research. It is exactly like how you do it more or less. Not that there is anything wrong with that per say. This post is more lax but more realistic.

Basshead
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 2:37 pm

I did when I was bullied, and when I moved to a new school

I'm a hypochondriac. Please don't kill me.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 4:31 pm

I doubt that it's truly "random" I'd suspect that you have something upsetting your or unresolved in your past ... even if you're not fully aware of it.

SpaceStace
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Dec 2007, 5:21 pm

I've had that. I would start tearing up and then I'd try to find or make up something as a reason for my being upset.

Therapy helped for a while, but the depression always came back... until I tried anti-depressants with it.

Ipunes
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Dec 2007, 5:43 pm

yeah I get this.

I uesd to get it much more as a kid.

I had little unhappiness in my life as a child.

I could just hear a certain song that wasnt even sad, be in a certain place that was perfectly nice and actually want to start crying and then cry.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 6:56 pm

I find that some things bring on weird sentimental feelings. It’s usually triggered by picturing or thinking about a person. It could even be a complete stranger on the internet. It’s a déjà vu feeling accompanied by sadness. Maybe it’s just my own loneliness causing these feelings.

Ipunes

20 Dec 2007, 6:59 pm

deja vu is an interesting one.

Sometimes I feel as If I am a 5 year old kid or 10 year old or whatever again and am going through the same thought processes and emotions as I did back then. Its bought on by remebering a memory from that time period.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 7:03 pm

Ipunes wrote:

Sometimes I feel as If I am a 5 year old kid or 10 year old or whatever again and am going through the same thought processes and emotions as I did back then. Its bought on by remebering a memory from that time period.

Interesting. Sometimes I get sad feelings when I see a picture of a kid. I feel like I wish I was that kid. It can be a completely random picture.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 7:05 pm

Quote:

This was one thing I touched on in my blog when covering depression and memory.

The long term aspie memory tends to help you remember bad things that most NTs can easily forget. Worse than that, the memories are so strong that they can bring bad feelings and depression.

CrushedPentagon
Raven
Raven

22 Dec 2007, 11:34 pm

I used to, when I was a kid. People would ask me what was wrong and I said I didn't know. At about age 15, I figured out that I was very sensitive to diet. Mostly I ate nutritional, well balanced meals, but occasionally I'd eat poorly or have junk. One day, I noticed the corrolation between food and mood. It was very clear that I needed to keep eating healthy food if I wanted to be happy. I've been so much more careful since then, and no longer do random crying.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2007, 11:51 pm

I did, but then I also found it wasn't "random", nor was it "unresolved emotional issues" the way some people are describing them.

I now find that if I "randomly cry" I can actually go through a checklist of specific things and pretty much always one of them will be true.

1. Have I eaten regular meals recently?

2. Has the food been at least minimally well balanced (i.e. not all sugar or simple carbs)?

3. Have I eaten enough meat recently (this is why vegetarianism and veganism did not work for me, one of many reasons, despite my preferences for vegetarian food I just can't live exclusively on it even with supplements added)?

4. Have I slept enough?

5. Have I slept according to a regular schedule?

6. Am I turning on enough full-spectrum lights long enough into the night (I live relatively far north and have a family history of seasonal affective disorder)?

7. Am I on a new medication that might be affecting my mood in strange ways?

8. Am I getting enough time away from standard language (today I have not gotten enough, and expect this to cause problems later)?

9. Am I getting enough time away from interaction with people?

10. Am I in severe pain (I am the opposite of a hypochondriac and the opposite of someone with psychosomatic problems -- I think of physical symptoms in psychological terms and act them out as emotions, rather than take emotions and turn them into physical symptoms), and have I remembered my pain meds? Checking for physical pain might be extremely detailed and difficult and require someone else, it's far easier for me to tell my emotional reactions to pain than recognize the pain itself and where it's located. And I have several kinds of chronic, severe pain which makes it difficult to tell them all apart or figure out which one is going on right then. But most of them are treatable.

11. Am I late on any other medications?

12. Have I recently stopped an old medication?

13. Am I PMSing (I always get one major cry in the day before my period)?

After that, I usually find the cause of the "random" crying. It's actually related to one or more of those things, just about every time. And then I feel stupid for not noticing, but also relieved because I can now solve the problem. What's astonishing is the depth of the crying, it can feel like the world's going to end, then I eat a meal, or treat pain, or get some sleep, and suddenly everything's totally fine. Sometimes the crying is so bad it obstructs me from doing whatever it is that needs to be done, but once I do it and whatever it is has sunk in, the crying subsides completely and stays that way. Which is why I know it's not some kind of unresolved emotional thing, it's just a very strange reaction my body has to a number of stimuli, that's totally absent when those stimuli are absent.

(Many of those things also are triggers for seizures or migraines, I've noticed.)

CrushedPentagon
Raven
Raven

23 Dec 2007, 12:17 am

Thanks, anbuend, for the useful checklist.

Not getting enough sleep doesn't make me cry, but does make me grouchy.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

23 Dec 2007, 12:23 am

i only cry when im drunk

Wistaria
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Dec 2007, 1:06 am

I definitely cry "randomly"... The worst part is that it gives me no release because I had to learn to be noiseless and tearless about it, otherwise I'll end up with patronizing sympathy from others.

That list of anbuend's is a good piece of advice. Although I do have unresolved emotional issues, it's good to know there are ways of finding out what the other triggers are, and fixing them.

Rain_Bird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Dec 2007, 1:07 am

Not completely at random, but for no *apparent* reason or for very little reason sometimes. :?