Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

busy91
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Dec 2007, 3:49 pm

As a rule I don't wear much jewlery. I have custome jewlery. I've had a few pieces in my day (outside of wedding bands and such) and they were given to me by my Significant Other at the time. But as for me, I'd rather have something else. Because I'm not a jewelry person, that is all.

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2007, 8:56 pm

I is middle aged aspiegal. I wear one hell of a good watch (men's chrono - heavy and it does stuff). Nuttin' else.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

Immortal
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2007, 9:51 pm

Well maybe I'm strange for a girl, but I kind of prefer "Fake" jewelry. I think diamonds are a waste of money, and I prefer silver to gold (Though White gold is okay), and I also prefer cheaper gemstones, or even costume jewelry.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

23 Dec 2007, 11:21 pm

Immortal wrote:
Well maybe I'm strange for a girl, but I kind of prefer "Fake" jewelry. I think diamonds are a waste of money, and I prefer silver to gold (Though White gold is okay), and I also prefer cheaper gemstones, or even costume jewelry.

We're both strange then. :P

I'm seeing more people these days who agree with us though. It seems like older women are more likely to insist on diamonds and such.

24 Dec 2007, 11:13 pm

I'd rather have videogames and toys from my boyfriend.

kitschinator
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Dec 2007, 9:58 am

Don't fall for these commercials. Although most of you seem smart enough not to.

There may be a few exceedingly shallow women who really will fall in love with you if you buy her a $4,000 diamond ring, but she clearly is emotionally bankrupt and you don't want to be with her anyway. Mature people don't attach feelings to a price tag or a shiny piece of metal.

I would prefer a significant other to not buy me anything that expensive. It strikes me as a colossal waste of money. For $4,000, we could take a vacation together anywhere in the world. Or buy something you really need. Or invest it. Or anything else besides buy an overpriced hunk of metal that is usually tragically ugly. Why don't more people want to spend time together instead of getting baubles that show off to everyone else how much someone is willing to spend on you?

I'm not saying I would never enjoy a piece of jewelry as a gift, but I would a million times prefer "cheap" jewelry, like someone else mentioned. I like things that look unique - there's so much beautiful jewelry that doesn't even cost $100! Nothing is more boring to me than a gold band with a diamond.

Also, I'm big on equality and I would never want to be on the receiving end of a gift that large. It would just make me uncomfortable. I would be trying to figure out a way to pay it back the next 50 consecutive Christmases.

sarahstilettos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2007, 4:26 pm

My brother brought his long term girlfriend a necklace this year. His bedroom is above mine and I heard her squealing when he gave it to her, (no dirty jokes please - this is a relative of mine we are talking about).

I was given a ring by a boyfriend once - not an engagement ring, just a very beatiful ring for my birthday. If it hadn't been chosen with such obvious care, it wouldn't have meant anything to me, but it was gorgeous and I loved it - even though i didn't really wear it because I find jewellary uncomfortable. He used to do courier work and was somewhere in the middle east when he came to this market where everyone was selling gold rings. He loved them, so he spent ages going around the market stalls trying to find the best ring he could get for his money.

In shorts, depends on the persons intentions, care they put into chosing the item, what I thought their feelings were towards me anyway.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2007, 2:21 pm

I hate conspicuous consumption, women flaunting or drooling over expensive jewelry just strikes me as disgusting shallowness, and couldn't stand to date such shallow people. I care about what's on the inside, not a woman's status, popularity, and other superficial things.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2007, 2:36 pm

Jewelry doesn't interest me, but my relatives keep giving it to me. I don't know why, and I can't tell them I don't like it because they would get offended. Fortunately, my boyfriend appreciates the fact that I'm not into jewelry or flowers. He gives me records instead.

Inexplicably, I have told previous boyfriends, "I do not like jewelry or flowers. Please give me records and other things that I like instead," and they proceeded to give me lots of jewelry and flowers, and little else. Maybe it had to do with that "provider" thing that LePetitPrince mentioned?

Lurv
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Dec 2007, 7:13 pm

If someone gave me expensive jewelry, I'd think "oh, why couldn't they have given me something like a Wii instead?" Haha, just kidding, but I don't wear necklaces and stuff like that much anyway, and when I do, I don't care how cheap they are as long as they look nice.

If a guy tried wooing me by giving me jewelry, that wouldn't work if I didn't like him before, I would just feel guilty for taking such an expensive gift from him. If it were marriage... I don't know.

innov79
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Dec 2007, 1:07 am

I would never buy diamonds for my gf (if I had one) even if she begged me, beacuse do you have any idea how the people that mine those stupid shiny rocks live?! theyre STARVING and dirt poor, almost NONE of the money spent on diamonds goes back to them they are exploited big time. Beacuse of that I have a big problem supporting those rich bastards that own the mines, id rather help my fellow man than help my "love life".

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2007, 3:54 pm

Well, I bought some jewelry for my wife for her birthday (Dec 23), and got some first-class love-making in return.

K-Mart always has 70% off discounts that time of year. I don't know if it really is a good deal or not, compared to other stores. But, it is quick, and I know never to buy anything there when they aren't having their 70% off sales, since they have the sales so often.