Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2007, 10:21 am

What's this about Asperger's not being diagnoseable when you have schizophrenia?
I was diagnosed of both almost simultaneously by the consultant psych a while ago.
He's a consultant. Therefore he can't be stupid.
So who's right?

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2007, 11:06 am

It might be true technically, because it'd be impossible to tell the negative symptoms of "schizophrenia" (which is probably not just one thing anyway, and which used to contain autism) from the traits of AS. However, you'd think they'd adopt a policy like they have for autism when it comes to schizophrenia diagnosis (in fact they might have already done so). I think they have a thing that says that if criteria are met for autism or another PDD (which includes AS), you can only be diagnosed with additionally schizophrenia if you have prominent hallucinations and/or delusions.

It does look like there's a criterion in AS that says that you can't diagnose it if criteria for schizophrenia are met. But that seems really stupid, and it might be that some doctors ignore that (as they should).

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2007, 11:14 am

anbuend wrote:
It might be true technically, because it'd be impossible to tell the negative symptoms of "schizophrenia" (which is probably not just one thing anyway, and which used to contain autism) from the traits of AS. However, you'd think they'd adopt a policy like they have for autism when it comes to schizophrenia diagnosis (in fact they might have already done so). I think they have a thing that says that if criteria are met for autism or another PDD (which includes AS), you can only be diagnosed with additionally schizophrenia if you have prominent hallucinations and/or delusions.

It does look like there's a criterion in AS that says that you can't diagnose it if criteria for schizophrenia are met. But that seems really stupid, and it might be that some doctors ignore that (as they should).

Yes, that does make sense. I had hallucinations + delusions and they were very prominent, so I'm supposing that's the reason why my doctor diagnosed me of that.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2007, 4:05 pm

I know a guy who was diagnosed with both, simply due to delusions.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2007, 4:59 pm

Ok.

I was reading the ICD-10 criteria for schizophrenia and I had noticed it.