Unified teachers improperly restrained student with autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

duncansbass
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Location: Flatting thirds, fifths, and sevenths for over 20 years

24 Dec 2007, 4:01 pm

http://www.journaltimes.com/articles/20 ... 149085.txt

Every time I start to regain a little faith in human nature, I seem to hear about people like these...

aspiebeauty87
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Dec 2007, 9:21 pm

what the hell? were already different & there gonna make a kid stand out by restraning a kid to a chair like some basket case or something to me that doesn't help anything that makes problems worst

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2007, 10:41 pm

My profoundly autistic daughter was tied to a chair lots of times because they said she wouldn't sit still in circle time, that she always wanted to go look out of the window. It was illegal but they didn't care. I should have sued, I guess.

I only found out about it because the bus driver told me to walk into the classroom unannounced.

TheZ
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Dec 2007, 12:12 am

OregonBecky wrote:
I only found out about it because the bus driver told me to walk into the classroom unannounced.

Well, atleast someone in the school system cared.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2007, 3:14 pm

That is so wrong. :(

and OregonBecky...That Busdriver, is a good person, that made me feel good that he would do something like that.

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2007, 4:20 pm

ShadesOfMe wrote:
That is so wrong. :(

and OregonBecky...That Busdriver, is a good person, that made me feel good that he would do something like that.

We honored that bus driver by bringing her a big flower arrangement in front of all her coworkers. Bus drivers are on the low end of the pecking order. It took a lot of courage for her to speak up.

When my daughter would come home moody and violent and started having nightmares, I mentioned to the bus driver about how I didn't understand why her behavior had changed. The bus driver told me to visit the classroom lately. I didn't. Next time I griped about my daughter's behavior, she asked if I visited the classroon yet. I said, no and didn't understand why it was so urgent. I trusted those trained "experts" to do a better job than I could.

She told me that if I didn't get into that classroom right now, unannounced, then I was a bad mother. She needed to say that and I love her courage for getting me to see what was happening.

If kids aren't very verbal, watch out. There are some in the business who will treat them like they're subhuman.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2007, 5:41 pm

That's just sick. 8O

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2007, 9:10 pm

Disgusting. In my experience most teachers are mediocre people and often uncaring jerks because schools don't pay teachers enough to attract people who would be good teachers. The result is that you get a lot of people of sub-par abillities in education. I usually support unions wholeheartedly, the teachers unions are a big exception, they are a big racket to protect mediocre teachers with high seniority.

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2007, 9:17 pm

Odin wrote:
Disgusting. In my experience most teachers are mediocre people and often uncaring jerks because schools don't pay teachers enough to attract people who would be good teachers. The result is that you get a lot of people of sub-par abillities in education. I usually support unions wholeheartedly, the teachers unions are a big exception, they are a big racket to protect mediocre teachers with high seniority.

The school district where my daughter was, has a deal where they pay for teachers to get their masters degrees if they do time in special ed. They aren't there because they care about the kids. It's just a practical way to climb the ladder.