Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

LynnInVa
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Dec 2007, 12:57 pm

Our R&R IEP meeting was a success.
The new goals and accommodations were implemented the next day.
We had a total of 3 goals and 5 accommodations added to my daughter's IEP.

I got everything I wanted and then some - I even had a very frank discussion with her regular ED teacher and Resource teacher about some of the short comings - I decided not to pursue a new teacher. We are giving her one more chance.
I am also trying to get my work schedule to change so I can go into class once a week to observe and help out.

I feel like a ton of bricks was lifted off my back :D

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

26 Dec 2007, 2:55 pm

Excellent news!

In June this year I was going to change my 9 year old's teacher (our school year runs January - December).

However, all our son's friends were in his class.

We gave the teacher one last chance and the school gave him 'intense counselling'.

The teacher started implementing the accomodations and the rest of the year went smoothly.

Helen

ster
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 6:25 am

woohoo!! !! !!!1 :lol:

LynnInVa
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Dec 2007, 8:49 am

Smelena wrote:
Excellent news!

In June this year I was going to change my 9 year old's teacher (our school year runs January - December).

However, all our son's friends were in his class.

We gave the teacher one last chance and the school gave him 'intense counselling'.

The teacher started implementing the accomodations and the rest of the year went smoothly.

Helen

Helen - I decided that she is going to have to stick it out. I want to protect her so much, even too much at times. I think this time she needs to deal - and explained that she will have times in her life when personalities are going to clash. I stress the importance of respect. Even if you don't "like" someone, there is no need to be disrespectful. I know she understands this but has a hard time with it when she is not respected or made fun of.

I'm going to watch and listen very carefully. My main gripe was that the teacher seemed to not give her any praise for anything. E writes better than anyone in her grade, she reads more than anyone I have ever met, and is artistic. Really, there is a lot to compliment her on - but the teacher seems focused on "fixing her" and being stern/tough. All this kid needs to survive school is a very positive teacher.

Another other gripe is her teachers chatted too much. I knew were one teacher went on her "sick leave" and were she bought her shoes. All this was during her trouble subject - and my daughter couldn't remember what she did that morning - or what she needed to do. It was interfering with her education. I was frank - I was discreet (even asked that the asst. principal leave so I could have a private conversation w/ both of them). I really hope they appreciate that I kept my concerns between us - for now - I think if the asst. principal knew was was going on - they would both be written up.

The last week of school, before winter vacation - my daughter came home and told me that her teacher praised her in front of the whole class - her face lite up like the sun - she was SO happy and proud of herself. You know - that's all our kids need sometimes - a little boost to keep them on track so they don't get discouraged.

So far, so good. She goes back on the 2nd 8O