did you have a nuchal scan while pregnant?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

did you have a nuchal scan done while pregnant with your autistic/ AS/ PDD child?
No I did not. 67%  67%  [ 8 ]
Yes I did, and the results were abnormal. 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Yes I did, and the results were borderline. 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Yes I did, and the results were normal. 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
Yes I did, but I can't remember my results. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2007, 2:07 pm

I know this is probably a bit of a strecth as the nuchal scan has been used only recently in the US, but has been in use in the UK and I think Australia for some years.

Did any of the moms here have a nuchal scan/ nuchal translucency measurement done while pregnant with their PDD/ AS/ autistic child? If so do you remember if the measurement was normal, borderline, or abnormal?

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

26 Dec 2007, 4:54 pm

No.

Helen

collywobble
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Dec 2007, 5:36 pm

I live in the UK. I have a 6 year old AS son. I had a nuchal scan when I was 12 weeks pregnant I think. The results were perfectly normal.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 6:24 am

no clue what you're talking about.

soulsister63
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Jan 2008, 2:08 pm

Yes I'm in the UK & had a nuchal scan , it was normal

katrine
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 4:02 pm

If I'm translating from English right, it's a scan were you measure lower neck width, which is enlarged in Down Syndrome. You get a probability: 1/10 000 chance your child is DS.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 8:56 pm

Katrine is correct. An enlarged nuchal fold is commonly associated with Down syndrome. It can be seen also in other disorders such as Noonan syndrome.

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 8:21 pm

Nope. The only test I was offered was an AFP test, which I refused. So often those produce false positives. And besides, if something was wrong with one of my children, would I love them less, terminate the pregnancy or would it change anything at all aside from how we would handle those challenges? No. I saw no point in such testing.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 9:02 pm

I had no idea the nuchal test was. Among the tests run with my blood samples, was some kind of protein counting thing. My guessed due date was off (by several weeks) and so Pop had a false positive for Down Syndrome. I got the phone call at work to get an ultrasound "right now". The doctor's office had already made the appointment for me!
It happened so fast that I went down there anyways and had the ultra sound. It was for both checking on this test result and also to determine the age/due date. I was mad afterwards because, yeah, what am I going to do at 15 weeks? Not get an abortion, can't do anything about it. Didn't make sense.

CrystalGirl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jan 2008, 3:25 am

I had the test when I was pregnant. I don't even know why they performed it, since I was <30 and had no family history of Down. Anyway, my son was swimming around and they had trouble measuring, but finally got around 2 mm and told me it was concerning. They did bloodwork, which came out normal. Then on another ultrasound they found another marker for Down - echogenic bowl. The doctor tried to convince me to go for amnio, but I had long before decided to give birth to whoever was in there and didn't see the point of the test. I also read up on it a lot and saw that 2 mm wasn't that extreme (still have the references if you need them), but spend a good chunk of the pregnancy worrying. Anyway, my son was born without Down, but he recently had a psych evaluation and was found to have "behavioral problems". I think he is very likely Aspie and just acted out during the evaluation because he didn't understand the evaluator's irrational and authoritative behavior. He's bio dad is Aspie, and the more I think and read about it, I don't I'm quite NT. The thing is that I never realized it until I had my son.