Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2007, 8:37 am

Hi, I need advice. I'm using itunes to manage my music on my iPod but I'm unsure if I can delete the music on my hard drive once it is on the iPod. Is itunes able to put music back onto the hard drive from the iPod?

This is a real problem as the music files are taking up over 10% of my hard drive and it is currently completely full.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Dec 2007, 10:18 am

OK, i got 1 for Christmas and I will just say I hate the I-tune software, it could be much less complex then what it is, just my opinion.

If you mean that you wish to erase music from your harddrive but have it on your I-pod that will work until you sync your ipod again and then I am pretty sure that music could be deleted. I am not positive, but I am pretty sure your I-pod will sync only songs you have on your list and if the file is gone from your harddrive then when you sinc it again these files will not be found and probably deleted from the I-pod. Just what I think I am still new to the technology and am still learning.

Good luck cause we may need it, hehe. :lol:

Morrissey
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Dec 2007, 10:29 am

If you highlight any number of tracks in your itunes library, right-click and delete, this will remove the tracks from your ipod. When you connect your ipod to the pc next time and 'sync' the ipod, the tracks will automatically be removed from your ipod but not from your hard drive. When you download or add tracks to your library they will automatically create folders and mp3 files on your hard drive (or wherever location you tell it to save them to)

I have a hard drive that is 34 GB and do not have enough room to have a full ipods worth on there, I obviously have loads of other stuff on there too. So I went and bought an external hard drive (500GB!) for 70 english pounds, 100GB/160GB ones are plenty though, just hooked it up via USB and moved my itunes folders from my c drive to this new hard drive.

Simple! have a nice day

k

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2007, 6:34 pm

Yeah I hate itunes too, it seems to me to be nothing more than a way to lure people into buying things from their itunes shop. It's slow, unresponsive, and unintuitive. I found it so much better using my iriver which was a simple drag-and-drop affair.

Gee, this really sucks that I have to keep my entire library stuck on my computer hard drive doing nothing other than taking up space. I'm going to have to buy a new hard drive it seems. What's a good brand? Seagate? I think I'll be looking at replacing my internal drive, probably with something 320gb or higher. Certainly nothing that runs slower than 7200rpm.

Dave089
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Dec 2007, 7:16 pm

you could just disable automatic syncing in preferences/syncing

As long as you don't sync it your music will not be deleted from the ipod