Page 4 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

joyfuldinosaur
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Feb 2009, 1:44 pm

I am 21 years old, but I still throw temper tantrums and beat myself up (not physically any more, but still emotionally) for not being perfect. My IQ is 145, I think, which means that I am more intelligent than just "gifted" but less intelligent than a "genius". I am okay with that. I don't think I need to be a genius in order to learn the things I want to learn. Nothing has proved too difficult for me to learn, except for emotions.

My friends are always older than I am, and even though I am in college I still relate to my professors more than my peers, intellectually. Emotionally though I am a bit of a spoiled toddler, but I hate that I act like that, so it's a vicious cycle I think.

I want to have better emotional intelligence, but I have emotional perfectionism. Now that I know that I'm AS, I don't worry as much about it and I have been acting calmer and feeling better lately. I have also started Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and I think it's working. But I feel like, if I'm so smart, then why can't I just control my emotions and get over it?

When I try to tell someone how I'm feeling, I start stammering and it's almost impossible to get the words out of my mouth. I end up being angry and frustrated. It's much easier for me to describe how I feel in terms of fictional characters and phrases I've already heard. I usually just feel my emotions like physical sensations but it's almost impossible for me to figure out why I'm feeling a certain way.

I wear my emotions on my sleeve, which means that everyone else knows what I'm feeling except for me.

Sorenna
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 4:58 pm

I am like a perpetual teen, too. Weird like I stopped devolping. It hit me one day- I will never know what it's like to be a "grown up!"

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 5:45 pm

I never understood this, or like it.
I am 24, when 8 year olds start to have the ability to grow a beard, then the professionals can say I act like I am 8. If I start stimming by swinging my arms, then does that mean emotionally I am a monkey, just because I appear to be acting like one. To me, a doctor giving me a emotional age or what ever is just being ignorant to the fact that I also act like a 24 year old or a adult also.
Sorry if I offend anyone with my messed up logic.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 6:08 pm

It really depends for me. When I was in high school, I was always so focused on what I wanted to do, that I didn't care about any bullcrap that the kids were into and I was only worried about my future and education. In a sense, I've been an adult long before I became one. I kind of just went from child to adult with no teenage years in between. I already hate the young teens of today. So I think I in one way am more mature for my age then others were.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2009, 7:54 am

I'd say my emotional age would be about 11/12, I know that I'm immature definatly.

BellaDonna
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2009, 8:00 am

My social-emotioanl age is the same age I am. I know alot of people more immature than me. They just pretend they are not.

coppelia
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Feb 2009, 8:07 am

I can be very mature but then again be very immature like I have lots of cuddly toys and dolls, I like disney movies and like kiddy things. But then I can be very mature so bit and both really. Mature in somethings, Imature in other things
XOXOXO

EnigmaticPhilosophy
Raven
Raven

06 Feb 2009, 4:01 pm

Somehow, I have always been told that I'm very mature for my age.
According to several people I know, my tone of voice sounds like that of a 30 year old, and my manner of speech sounds like that of a 40-50 year old.

RandomKid
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2009, 8:47 pm

I don't know mom said I am very immature and I will prob never catch up to my peers.

Sunfish_McCaul
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Feb 2009, 11:08 am

I feel very old, though I'm only 21. I don't know about maturity, but when I listen to my peers they often seem immature to me; they lack conscientiousness and self-consciousness.
I'm not sure anymore if my hesitance to socialize with my peers is due to a lack of interest or lack of skill. While I like most of the people I meet, I don't really want to have anything to do with them.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 11:22 am

a couple of months ago, I was skipping down the hall at work, humming a little song under my breath and the thought occurred to me "I wonder why I never grew up?'

my body is pushing 60, but I am about 8 years old in my heart and about 16, and a shy show off in my brain.

Merle

Tom273
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Feb 2009, 12:00 pm

my mind is pretty young too lmao my body is 21 my mind is propably around 16 years old lol. :lol:

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 1:57 pm

I still sleep with a stuffed animal, so my social-emotional age must be around 2 or 3 8)

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2009, 3:59 pm

joyfuldinosaur wrote:
I want to have better emotional intelligence, but I have emotional perfectionism. Now that I know that I'm AS, I don't worry as much about it and I have been acting calmer and feeling better lately. I have also started Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and I think it's working. But I feel like, if I'm so smart, then why can't I just control my emotions and get over it?

I feel the same way. I’m self aware but I don’t seem to have discipline. I notice that when some people say "control your emotions" they really just mean "control your behavior". But that doesn't work with me, internalizing my anger and frustration just prolongs it. Sheer will power isn't enough. I always need an outside catalyst to change my mood. If something goes wrong my mood can stay in the crapper for days until something goes right. Even if I stop having negative thoughts consciously the negative feelings are still there, hidden underneath, tingeing my mood and preventing me from enjoying other activities.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2009, 10:04 am

marshall wrote:
joyfuldinosaur wrote:

I feel the same way. I’m self aware but I don’t seem to have discipline. I notice that when some people say "control your emotions" they really just mean "control your behavior". But that doesn't work with me, internalizing my anger and frustration just prolongs it. Sheer will power isn't enough. I always need an outside catalyst to change my mood. If something goes wrong my mood can stay in the crapper for days until something goes right. Even if I stop having negative thoughts consciously the negative feelings are still there, hidden underneath, tingeing my mood and preventing me from enjoying other activities.

you might be more NT than you know. . .

Merle