Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Aug 2005, 6:46 pm

2 years ago (May 2003) I woke up one morning with really bad pain in the kidney area and blood in urine. Turned out to be kidney stones. Got another back pain issue a few months after that and then it stopped.

Monday I woke up with the worse pain you could possibly imagine. I don't know how I managed to stand it. I went into the clinic and they took a CT scan. Then they wanted to give me a shot in the behind to get rid of the pain. I refused. Went home and took some vicodin and it went away. Went back and they proscribed me with a strong antibiotic and more vicodin which is a very strong pain killer. They also refered me to a urologist.

No pain Tuesday

Wednesday (Appointment day) I woke up with the TERRIBLE pain. I took 2 vicodin didn't work. Took 2 motrin with it, didn't work. Just pain pain pain. So bad that it made me cry. We went to the doctor, took an Xray and found nothing. Went to the urologist, he examined my private parts (Not fun) and all that other stuff. Then he was gonna give me a shot of the same thing. I refused again. Not long after, pain went away. I went with my mom and he asked her if I had any conditions and she said "Aspergers" and he had no idea what it was.

Then he put me on all kinds of crazy medications

1 is a steroid to make the kidney widen to let the stones out
another is one that will make my "hole" open up to make it easier to let the stone out
and another one I'm not sure about.

So that puts me on 5 medications. I really don't know what to do. I haven't been on medication at all in over 5 years and never have been on more then 1 at once. One of the medications I was put on today says it can seriously keep me from fighting off infectious dieseases and to stay away from people that may be sick. Thats a problem because I start school tomorrow (To finish off the credits I missed) and lots of sick people go there.

Has anybody here had expirences with kidney stones/medication? I have no idea what to do,

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2005, 8:17 pm

Unsweetened cranberry juice (the stuff from a health store, not the juice isle in your local jewel/osco) I heard from a nutrition expert is caustic enough to disssolve stones so they can be flushed out with out having surgery.

Also, drink more water, chronic dehydration is a major cause of stones.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Aug 2005, 8:22 pm

Water is pretty much all I drink. Average of 3-5 bottles a day.

I bought some Cranberry Juice and it seems to be helping. The stones aren't very large so they'll come out anyway, surgery or not.

mellow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Aug 2005, 8:23 pm

Hi,
I went to the hospital on Monday and found I have a Kidney Stone. They are no fun!! I feel your pain!! I've been told that Cranberry Juice and drinking more clear liquids will help. At least that's what the doctor said. If you are able to pass the stone into a strainer, and save it, the doctor will try to analyze what type of stones you are creating. It seems some are different and may be calcified and others are different. If they can determine which type your body has created, they may be able to tell you what to avoid.

Hope you feel much better!! !!
Mellow

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2005, 1:08 am

10691047 wrote:
Water is pretty much all I drink. Average of 3-5 bottles a day.

How big are these bottles? 3-5 is not a whole lot. Depsite how it may look, urine has a lot of dissolved solids in them. The extra water help ensures that they don't collect and build up little kidney stalagmites so to speak.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Sep 2005, 1:41 am

1.5PT

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2005, 5:21 pm

You need to be drinking more than that - especially if you do have stones.