Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 8:17 am

Are there any other Christians here who believe that the church age is over?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 1:09 pm

I think there will always be a remnant whether we meet in a community center/church building or in our own homes even during the tribulation. I don't think too much concerning the rapture; I think we'll have to endure the test of faith like the first Christians did. I don't think in terms of "Church age" or even "Catholic, Baptist, Lutheran, etc" all true believers are one body and one Church.

Witt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jan 2008, 3:42 pm

faithfilly wrote:
Are there any other Christians here who believe that the church age is over?

Church age is over,but Mosque age has just begun. :lol:

Jack Torrance

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 4:31 pm

Islam is probably the new religion.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 9:05 am

The "church age" is an idea particular to Pentecostalism and other believers in Apocalyptic Christianity. It is a very specific belief based on that interpretation of the Book of Revelation - not whether you think churches are more or less popular than mosques. If you think the church age is over, then you think we are in the tribulation.

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Jan 2008, 8:22 pm

monty wrote:
The "church age" is an idea particular to Pentecostalism and other believers in Apocalyptic Christianity. It is a very specific belief based on that interpretation of the Book of Revelation - not whether you think churches are more or less popular than mosques. If you think the church age is over, then you think we are in the tribulation.

Yes, it is related to "kingdom now" theology, a variant of dominionism. Some dominionists believe that the church age is over and that "Christians" (those conforming to their definition) can now begin to exercise dominion.

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

johnpipe108
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jan 2008, 10:29 pm

I sense that what you mean by "church age" really means "the age of formal religions".

A Church, in it's basic sense, is a social and spiritual community, which does not have to be religious; it may be philosophical, as is the case for what we call "Hindu philosophy."

The early Christian "church" was more this way in the beginning, before Paul entered the scene and began introducing an alien theology based on Greek and Roman paganism, which ended up becoming the central theology for what later became a religion as opposed to the kind of spiritual community from which it had sprung..

My extended family and spiritual community may be viewed as a "church" in this broad, classical sense. We are from different religous backgrounds, some practicing, but mostly non-practicing their individual family religions, and are very individualistic,independent minded overall about spiritual and/or philosophical matters. Some of us come from atheistic backgrounds as well.

Our community began around the late 1960's or early 1970's, and has held together through storm and strife of personal contradictions and relationships. We used to hold regular "Family Meetings", which one could construe as "church"meetings in the classical sense, but now only have meetings as needed, now and then.

My early religious up-bringing and resultant life experience is perhaps illustrative of your topic.

I've recently realized that both my parents were aspies, and they showed it in certain ways.

My Mother was Episcopalian and raised my two sisters and I in that church; there's an old story that her family was originally Catholic, and converted to Episcopalian when one of the family, who was a Priest, married a Protestant woman!

I'm the kid in the middle, and my older sister was very independent minded as a teen, and would go to different churches with a girlfriend every Sunday for a while, looking for one she liked.

My mom was conventional minded, having grown up in a conservative, rural environment, and was not a "woman of the world." She stuck to her Episcopal upbringing.

My dad was a "man of the world", and was not friendly toward religious dogma. He used to attend a Presbyterian church that had a very good and well loved speaker.

I stopped going to church regularly once I left home an went into the world to seek my fortune. I was turned on during the 1960's to what we call, from our modern western perspective, "Eastern Sprituality", which rang my bell as it was philosophically based, not religious, and seems to have a common-sense approach to spiritutality which for me, leaves mere man-made, and therefore questionable from my aspie perspiective, organized religion behind.

Since then I have only visited the Episcopal church when I visited my elderly late mother and accompanied her to the services, or occasionally with my ex-wife; I go just to be polite.

So I really feel that the "age of "Big Professional Divinity Organized Religion Churches" is over, and that agrees with the Revelation of John that makes the statement that "there was no temple in the great city, for all the people were filled with the spirit of God"

This also agrees with Vedic prophecies and philosophy.

The late Chiranjiva gave a little-known translation of the Isha Upanishad, containing the phrase "when the world will become covered by the influence of Jesus Christ," which fortells a time when organized religion of the kind we grew up in would become a thing of the past, to be replaced by a more universal sense of spirituality.

So, yes, my logic and intuition suggest that we are indeed in that period of Time where this transformation is beginning to take place.

Yours in Truth,
Your Friendly Neighborhood Kshatriya-Brahmin and Household Fixit-man,

Bom Shankar Bholenath! I do not "have a syndrome", nor do I "have a disorder," I am a "Natural Born Scholar!"

matrix
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 12:26 am

Prestontard7 wrote:
*lau deleted the quoted spam*

Dear admin,

The following is spam, please delete these two posts as you see fit.

Sincerely,
-matrix

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Feb 2008, 12:32 am

matrix wrote:
The following is spam, please delete these two posts as you see fit.

Yes, this person has spammed almost every thread I am following with that same message. On their website, they advocate doing exactly what he/she has done.

ASPER
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Feb 2008, 3:32 pm

the end of the church as the organizations run by the vatican and influenced by the vatican, yes, it will end with human evolution.

places of worship, and religious meetup places would never go away. is part of being human.

ClosetAspy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Feb 2008, 4:35 pm

Well, I am not sure what you mean by "church age is over". If you are talking in terms of membership, Christianity is far from dead in the United States and I understand it is a growing force in Africa and other parts of the Third World. If you are talking about influence, that is another story. As I said in another post about the Catholic church, the church as an institution is not capable of innovation, it can only look back to past revelation. None of the advances in science, technology, health, the day to day things those of us in the First World take for granted, came out of the church. That is not to say the church is bad, but it can only react. Witness the controversies over stem cell research, for example. The church can only protest, it cannot lead the way. I work in biotechnology and I deal with things every day that the average person hasn't got a clue about. Things that sound like they come out of science fiction, but they aren't, they are fact, and our world is about to change because of it. Take for example, our own "condition", Aspergers. You will look in vain for any research, any new insights that come from a so-called Biblical Christian perspective. God is not mentioned when speaking of new developments in ASD research because He is not relevant. These are the forces driving our society for good or for ill.

Not to get off the subject, but as someone who does work in a scientific field, it irks me when people try to "convert" me to their form of Christianity when it is obvious that they know very little about science and what little they do know is sadly misinformed. If you are a Christian, and you want to be credible when talking to someone about your faith, at least do your homework. Not just the Bible, but contemporary science writers as well. You don't have to agree with them, but at least know the language. My father taught biology and he often said that he would flunk a student who said that Darwin taught that we descended from apes. Why? Not because he was a creationist (he wasn't), but because that statement revealed that the student really hadn't grasped the subject, and did not know (or care) what Darwin actually said. You could disagree with him but you had to be able to accurately present BOTH sides of the argument in order for him to listen. Unfortunately I don't see this happening very often in discussions on religion and as a result the atheists and agnostics come across as more credible. But that is getting off the subject.

About 150 years ago there was a new religion started in Iran by a man who became known as Baha'u'llah, and while it hasn't received a lot of press like the major religions, I would not rule out the Baha'i Faith as becoming one of the top contenders in the future. I am not a Baha'i but I think it will be very interesting to see what it does in the future. It is definitely gaining converts and many of its tenets seem especially designed for our age. I would not underestimate it simply because it is in its infancy.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 5:25 pm

Iam allready aware of Gordon Browns whises to de-establish the Church of England, I see he has supporters in the house

Web Page Name

Islam is indeed a threat to those who want to re-establish a One World Religion on par with Nimrod and Babel, hense the demonisation of Islam via the controlled media and false flag terror events such as the London tube bombing 7/7 Ripple Effect

THE UN PREPARES TO IMPLEMENT ONE WORLD

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Feb 2008, 6:01 pm

Nambo wrote:

In all honesty, minus the reactionary and speculative spin (illuminati conspiracy, etc.) on that web page, that is some of the best news I have read in a long time. The nation-state system needs to be replaced.

Last edited by nominalist on 03 Feb 2008, 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 6:06 pm

nominalist wrote:
Nambo wrote:

In all honesty, minus the reactionary and speculative spin on that web page, that is some of the best news I have read in a long time.

You would submit to a world government in the world's current state?

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Feb 2008, 6:08 pm

Anubis wrote:
You would submit to a world government in the world's current state?

I promote the idea in my sociology classes.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2008, 6:12 pm

The world is not ready for it yet. Nowhere near. And under the current world leadership and elites, it would not be for the benefit of the masses. Far from it. Kiss liberty and rights goodbye.