Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 9:38 am

Ever play with your calculator? This might be the ripe time to do just that. Pick any random number. Could be 10 digits or less. Doesn't matter. Now hit the root symbol and keep on hitting it. As you hit it you'll notice that the numbers decrease by decimal and by digit. All of a sudden you will come to a final number. One. That is the magic number - the Ultimate Count. Beyond which there is Nothing. It is the beginning and it is the end - and all that occurs in between are equations - added, subtracted, divided and multiplied. When it's all said and done, calculated, discussed, hashed over, queried and analyzed - all that remains is the One. One G-d One Creator. One. 1. Straight line up. Straight line down. infinity from the Beginning.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 9:48 am

I had a casio basic solar calculator, which if left alone would read either 1 or 666, all by itself.

I was reading occult/numerology around that time and had been told 666=sunshine.

im not making this up.

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 10:55 am

psych wrote:
I had a casio basic solar calculator, which if left alone would read either 1 or 666, all by itself.

I was reading occult/numerology around that time and had been told 666=sunshine.

im not making this up.

Some Truth - not speculation

Six Six Six

Contents

Prof. Zev bar-Lev, Dept. of Linguistics & Oriental Languages in San Diego State University wrote:

Dear Rabbi,

You recently wrote: "The numerical value of "Meah Shearim" is 666, a number which has esoteric and kabbalistic meaning in Judaism, as indicated by the Vilna Gaon in his commentary to the Zohar." Now you've got me curious: In American media, I only hear of 666 for its mystic significance in Christianity -- a negative meaning, associated with "Satan." So what is the mystic significance of 666 in Judaism?

M. Brinn in Greenville, SC wrote:

Dear Rabbi,

Could you tell us more about the kabalistic meaning of 666? I live in a community with a large conservative Christian presence. Recently there was a big uproar over a supermarket's ad campaign because they believed the numbers 666 were hidden within. Thank you.

Dear Professor Bar-Lev and M. Brinn,

Oh, I can't tell you the answer to your question....It's a mystical secret!

Just kidding. Sort of. The truth is that the key to mystical secrets are not in any book, they're in your heart. Even if someone "reveals" a "kabbalistic secret," it remains a secret as long as you are not able to understand it. (So have no fear: The secrets of Kabbala are perfectly safe with Madonna.) But I will explain as much as I know on the subject:

The number 666 has significance as the numerical value of the Hebrew verse: "Ata yigdal na koach Ado-nai -- Now, I pray, let the Power of my Lord be great." (Numbers 14:17). This was Moshe's prayer invoking Divine Mercy on behalf of the Jewish People.

"Mosad Hayesod" cites the Vilna Gaon's commentary on the Zohar that "the number 666 contains hidden within it exalted and lofty messianic potential." No other explanation is offered there.

We do know that the number six represents the physical world. The Torah describes the creation of the universe as a six part, six day, process. Our ancient sources describe the universe as emanating in six directions -- north, south, east, west, up, down -- from a central point. All physical space and all physical objects have these six dimensions.

666 is six repeated three times. Repeating a concept three times represents the affirmation and strength of that concept. The number 666 could thus represent the strength and perfection of the physical world, which Judaism teaches will occur in the messianic era, when the physical world will reach its ultimate purpose, to be a vehicle through which the created experience the Creator.

Sources:
Mosad Hayesod pp. 204-205
Rabbi Dovid Rossoff, author o "Where Heaven Touches Earth," Guardian Press

http://ohr.edu/ask/ask277.htm

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 11:12 am

jjstar wrote:
Pick any random number. Could be 10 digits or less. Doesn't matter. Now hit the root symbol and keep on hitting it. As you hit it you'll notice that the numbers decrease by decimal and by digit. All of a sudden you will come to a final number ... One G-d One Creator. One. 1.

I randomly picked the number 0 and it converged to 0. Does this mean I'm an atheist?

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 11:41 am

DrizzleMan wrote:
jjstar wrote:
Pick any random number. Could be 10 digits or less. Doesn't matter. Now hit the root symbol and keep on hitting it. As you hit it you'll notice that the numbers decrease by decimal and by digit. All of a sudden you will come to a final number ... One G-d One Creator. One. 1.

I randomly picked the number 0 and it converged to 0. Does this mean I'm an atheist?

Um. Zero isn't a number. it's the state of chaos, nothingness - the absence of quantifiable reality that without other numerals (energies, order) beside it is meaningless and can't be grasped.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 12:40 pm

Number theory is awesome, I love learning about the strange behavior of integers (especially primes).

I don't see mathematics as a proof of God though, I see it as a proof of some sort of intrinsic order if you will. :)

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 1:48 pm

Phagocyte wrote:
Number theory is awesome, I love learning about the strange behavior of integers (especially primes).

I don't see mathematics as a proof of God though, I see it as a proof of some sort of intrinsic order if you will. :)

The only proof is in your own perception. There is something called faith beyond reason.

"The transition from living in accordance with the laws of our world to living in accordance with the laws of the spiritual world requires that two conditions should be met. Completely disregarding the arguments of reason, man is, as it were, devoid of the basis for his actions, lacking all support. as if he is suspended in the air, he grabs at the Creator with both hands - only the Creator's will determines man's actions. In a manner of speaking, man replaces his own mind with the Creator's, he acts contrary to his own reason, he places the Creator's will above his own. That is why his behaviour is called "faith above reason".

http://www.kabbalah.info/engkab/faq.htm

In this faith above reason - man accepts that within all things, beings, states, experiences, modalities and energies there is a spark of energy. This energy is the same energy that appears in man and appears in a rock. It is singular and it neither wavers no changes. It simply is. This singular energy is called Creator. It is mathematically the Beginning of all existance. It is - One.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 9:52 am

jjstar wrote:
DrizzleMan wrote:
jjstar wrote:

Um. Zero isn't a number. it's the state of chaos, nothingness - the absence of quantifiable reality that without other numerals (energies, order) beside it is meaningless and can't be grasped.

Zero certainly is a number. It is essential for our column-hierarchal decimal number system - do you want to go back to Roman numerals?? Do you believe that 101 = 11?

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 11:55 am

monty wrote:
jjstar wrote:
DrizzleMan wrote:
jjstar wrote:

Zero certainly is a number. It is essential for our column-hierarchal decimal number system - do you want to go back to Roman numerals?? Do you believe that 101 = 11?

Zero isn't a number. It's a figure to hold space in lieu of an actual quantifiable number. You have zero apples. You have nothing. Zero is space. There is nothing to count in a zero - it gives one an idea of space. That is all it does.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 1:20 pm

Zero is indeed a number. Zero is the number that describes the quantity of apples I have in my cubicle right now. Someone's bank account right now is at zero, which is better than having -$110.25 in it. Because negative numbers are numbers, and (like zero) they represent a real state or condition. Maybe if you are not satisfied that you don't have any apples, you become angry at zero and taunt it by saying it is not a number. Please ... don't shoot the messenger! Numbers can be your friend, even when reality is not. And a non-zero quantity of apples will surely come your way.

Quote:
0 (zero) is both a number and the numerical digit used to represent that number in numerals. It plays a central role in mathematics as the additive identity of the integers, real numbers, and many other algebraic structures. As a digit, zero is used as a placeholder in place value systems. Historically, it was the most recent digit to come into use. In the English language, zero may also be called null or nil when a number, "oh" (IPA: [oʊ]) or cipher (archaic) when a numeral, and nought or naught[1] in either context.

0 as a number

0 is the integer between 1 and −1. In most systems, 0 was identified before the idea of 'negative integers' was accepted. Zero is an even number.[2]

Zero is a number which quantifies a count or an amount of null size; that is, if the number of your brothers is zero, that means the same thing as having no brothers, and if something has a weight of zero, it has no weight. If the difference between the number of pieces in two piles is zero, it means the two piles have an equal number of pieces. Before counting starts, the result can be assumed to be zero; that is the number of items counted before you count the first item and counting the first item brings the result to one. And if there are no items to be counted, zero remains the final result.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0_%28number%29

Also, if you take a number greater than 1 and repeatedly take the square root, it will only truly become 1 after an infinite number of sqrt operations. Your calculator might show 1 a bit quicker - that is from rounding error.

Do you think infinity is a number?

Last edited by monty on 02 Jan 2008, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 1:46 pm

HAIL SATAN

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

02 Jan 2008, 1:53 pm

history_of_psychiatry wrote:
HAIL SATAN
yah i know. i thought this topic was about allah too

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 3:31 pm

Monty is correct. Zero is very much a number, the midpoint between the set of negative numbers and the set of positive numbers.

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 5:54 pm

What is an integer? { ... -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, ... }

Integers are the whole numbers, negative whole numbers, and zero. For example, 43434235, 28, 2, 0, -28, and -3030 are integers, but numbers like 1/2, 4.00032, 2.5, Pi, and -9.90 are not. We can say that an integer is in the set: {...3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3,...} (the three dots mean you keep going in both directions.)

It is often useful to think of the integers as points along a 'number line', like this:

Note that zero is neither positive nor negative.
About integers

The terms even and odd only apply to integers; 2.5 is neither even nor odd. Zero, on the other hand, is even since it is 2 times some integer: it's 2 times 0. To check whether a number is odd, see whether it's one more than some even number: 7 is odd since it's one more than 6, which is even.

Another way to say this is that zero is even since it can be written in the form 2*n, where n is an integer. Odd numbers can be written in the form 2*n + 1. Again, this lets us talk about whether negative numbers are even and odd: -9 is odd since it's one more than -10, which is even.

Every positive integer can be factored into the product of prime numbers, and there's only one way to do it for every number. For instance, 280 = 2x2x2x5x7, and there's only one way to factor 280 into prime numbers. This is an important theorem: the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic. See Notes and Literature on Prime Numbers from Understanding Mathematics by Peter Alfeld, and the Largest Known Primes page.

Most mathematicians, at least when they're talking to each other, use Z to refer to the set of integers. In German the word "zahlen" means "to count" and "Zahl" means "number." Mathematicians also use the letter N to talk about the set of positive integers, in other words the set {1,2,3,4,5,6, ...}.

http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.integers.html

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 6:38 pm

...Your point? :S
I.
Zero isn't just an arbitrarily included number. If we consider the "field" of Reals zero holds a central place in its algebraic structure: it is the additive identity, i.e. for all x in R x + 0 = x.

Now, if you want to debate the philisophical validity of zero as a cardinality of a set of objects, you might have some more room. After all, some people might call it a little weird that something that doesn't exist can have a number associated with it; in this case zero seems like an abstract construct.

II.
There isn't anything mysterious about what the OP has proposed. 1 = a*a^(-1) = a^0 , because R\{0} is a group. Define a(n) = a(n-1) ^ r = a^(r^n), we find that any |r| < 1 and a > 0& a-= 1 => a(n) converges to 1. This is just the result of the fact that 1 is the multiplicative identity, and that constants whose absolute value is less than one raised to the nth power converge to zero.

III.

Quote:
Do you think infinity is a number?

That would depend on your definition of infinity. I'd call the aleph numbers "numbers", wouldn't you ;)

Witt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jan 2008, 7:07 pm

G.W.F Hegel would probably say,about this issue,that number zero is dialectical unity of negative and positive numbers. :wink:

Jack Torrance