What is autism? Beyond the symptoms and stereotypes.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

jaydog
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 6:56 pm

that this was interesting and it was written by a aspie aswell.

by Donna Williams

My definition of autism has evolved through my experience as an autism consultant with hundreds of children since 1997 together with my own experience as a person assessed as a psychotic infant in 1965 at age 2 and later diagnosed with autism.

My definition has been captured in various ways in my 9 published books, perhaps most particularly in Autism; An Inside Out Approach and in The Jumbled Jigsaw.

In my view, autism is NOT ONE CONDITION and hence there is no one-size-fits-all approach which will best fit ALL people diagnosed with autism or Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).

view article

what do you think of this article?

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

02 Jan 2008, 7:20 pm

She isn't an aspie, just to clarify.

The article is what anyone would manage to theorise if they looked at this forum for a day.

singularitymadam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: I live in a Mad Max movie. It's not as fun as it sounds.

02 Jan 2008, 8:12 pm

LadyMacbeth wrote:
The article is what anyone would manage to theorise if they looked at this forum for a day.

I agree. The words in all-capitals, bullet style writing, and her description of herself render me incapable of taking this article seriously.

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 9:56 pm

Maybe she is severely functioning and just got her computer and her first chances/steps to speak out?

Anyways I haven't read the article.

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 10:05 pm

Read the article. Heh. Heh. Loved it.

Dispised the use of the phrase "Fruit Salad". I think what she was reaching for was "Fruit Cocktail".

What is a Fruit Salad?

The point she was grasping at was reached however. I like the compilation. She put alot of different science fields in a summary.

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 11:46 pm

Quote:
SeaBright said:
Dispised the use of the phrase "Fruit Salad". I think what she was reaching for was "Fruit Cocktail".

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: plop!

laughing my head off.