Hillary Clinton and Autism Speaks . . .

Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 11:01 am

The_Q wrote:
I'm not an American, but I'd take Hilary over a Republican any day. That said, I don't like her a great deal. I'd prefer to see Obama as president.

It should be noted that whining about this issue won't make it go away. I encourage every American on this forum who is against this to start writing letters to Hilary objecting to her comments and association with "Autism Speaks" - regardless of which party (if any) you support. The best policy imo is to try and do something about the problem. Trying to change her opinion is one way to approach it.

Oh, I'd definitely vote for her before a repub.

As for writing letters, already did that. :)

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 11:19 am

Stop repeat offenders. Don't re-elect them!

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 1:18 pm

Thank you lastcrazyhorn for bringing this to my attention. I was seriously unsure of who to vote for, and politics really bore me to tears. After reading what you quoted, and watching this video from Obama http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pkdfOOoIw0 I know who I am voting for. I was considering voting for Hilary :oops: .

06 Jan 2008, 1:39 pm

How do I write to Hillary? I don't know where to send the letter too.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 5:18 pm

I find it hilarious, because most Autism Speaks supporters think Hillary is the anti-Christ :lol:

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

squier
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 8:06 pm

I don't think Hillary Clinton would make a very good president, Obama would be much better (but thats not what we're talking about here)
and I don't agree with some of Autism Speaks' advertising tacticts. But I do think people trying to make Autism better understood is a good thing.
BUT WE NEED TO UNDERSTAND THIS.
not all forms of autism are like ours, we're HIGH FUNCTIONING! that means we are lucky, and others with autism are severely handicapped by it, who were prevented from learning how to oh, say, speak! who have severe meltdowns if they are even touched. that's who autism speaks is representing, when they say the want to solve the problem of autism, we may not want it, but others do.

i say that letter was a bad idea, i cant change any of your actions, or your opinions, and i won't stop you, but what they're doing isn't evil.

my book:
http://www.lulu.com/content/710903

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 12:23 pm

squier wrote:
I don't think Hillary Clinton would make a very good president, Obama would be much better (but thats not what we're talking about here)
and I don't agree with some of Autism Speaks' advertising tacticts. But I do think people trying to make Autism better understood is a good thing.
not all forms of autism are like ours, we're HIGH FUNCTIONING! that means we are lucky, and others with autism are severely handicapped by it, who were prevented from learning how to oh, say, speak! who have severe meltdowns if they are even touched. that's who autism speaks is representing, when they say the want to solve the problem of autism, we may not want it, but others do.

i say that letter was a bad idea, i cant change any of your actions, or your opinions, and i won't stop you, but what they're doing isn't evil.

Then again, a lot of parents with low functioning kids aren't willing to accept what their kids CAN do, and only focus on what they can't do. I've talked to parents with low functioning kids who have worked out alternate communication techniques with their kids, because they were willing to listen and watch what their kids were doing, as opposed to forcing them to act like NTs.

And as for contacting Hillary Clinton - http://www.hillaryclinton.com/help/contact/

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 1:29 pm

Well, I can agree that there are good and bad out of Autism Speaks. I'm glad some people have spoken up about negative messages being sent out about Autism.

I already didn't like Hillary Clinton very much before this thread. I won't vote for her. Saying something she "needs" to say, is egsactly my problem with her.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 1:37 pm

squier wrote:

Autism speaks does *****NOT***** represent ANYONE with autism! NOBODY! They don't even know what autism is. BTW they don't even recognize that people with AS or HFA exist.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 1:43 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
Autism speaks does *****NOT***** represent ANYONE with autism! NOBODY! They don't even know what autism is. BTW they don't even recognize that people with AS or HFA exist.

Completely untrue.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

nicky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2008, 2:01 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:

i have to agree. Autism Speaks isn't really made for autistics at all... but for NT's. the whole point of what they do is to make it more convenient and comfortable for the NT people that come in contact with an autistic person.. not for the autistic person to be more comfortable around NT's. it's all about forcing autistic people to fit into the NT mold as much as possible, even if it's torture for the autistic person. and as for that last part, i agree as well, as they claim that ALL anti-cure activists are AS, and not really autistic, and therefor can't speak for autistics (as if NT's can??), when in reality, many of them were diagnosed as low functioning, and many can't speak, but can type really well and it baffles the people at Autism Speaks, because they're too busy trying to "fix" autistic kids to actually take the time to find out how much they can actually do, or will be able to learn to do in the future WITHOUT being tortured!!

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 2:20 pm

AspieDave wrote:
What do I think of her getting tight with "Autism Speaks"??

Honestly? Scares the living hell out of me. ANYBODY getting tight with those people scares me.

Same here. I think it's creepy.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 1:37 am

Someone should make a video and post it on youtube - http://youtube.com/video_response_view_ ... K5o7YuPzIg

I can't, because I don't have the capabilities to do so, but I would otherwise.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 1:42 am

'Autism Speak should be called, 'Nts, Listen!'

HydroPurity
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jan 2008, 4:39 am

This is a steaming pile of horse s**t, and the steam smells like publicity. I don't know Hillary personally, so I can't necessarily judge whether or not she knows anyone with autism, but my guess is, no, she doesn't, she just knows statistically, it's on the rise in America so she'll get votes if she acts like she cares, from people who are vulnerable because their lives or the lives of the people around them are effected by autism. Politicians use publicity and the media to pull heart strings on the American people all the time. I just became an eligible voter 2 and a half years ago, and there's good chance I won't vote in this election. If the TWO choices (yea, two choices for who rules our land, that's some f****n justice) are between people like Hillary and Guiliani, I'm not voting, unless we get a kickass third party candidate who won't win anyway but it's worth a shot. Even being diagnosed with AS, many Americans such as myself don't care if the president seems compassionate about issues that don't directly effect the public. Citizens who vote for candidates based on authentisity are more concerned with foreign and monetary policies, and preserving the constitution and our civil rights as free citizens. That being said, I am a Ron Paul guy, because Ron Paul sticks by his words and morals, no matter what, and it's a genuine message he preaches, I think he really cares about improving the country rather than inflating his ego, and his record verifies this. Where I am going with this Ron Paul stuff is, HE IS A DOCTOR, yet, as a politician, do you see him publically flaunting his support for health charities, like Hillary is doing with autism? No, I never have, because he seems to realize the difference between what should be important to a politician, and what should be important to a doctor. Although this isn't necessarily the issue for Hillary and the other candidates, they just want to look like they're something special, which means they're FAKE and MANIPULATIVE. Do you want a fake manipulative person in the white house? I'm sure you do America, because I was born while Regan was president, and after him, it's been nothing but just that. All my life, nothing but corrupt ass presidents, and if we keep it up, we're going to digg ourselves from the first world, into the third. I love my country, and I may be comfortable living in the U.S., but I'm not happy.

Furthermore, what the hell has autism speaks done for anyone with autism anyway? If someone can answer this, please do.

HydroPurity
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jan 2008, 4:52 am

Oh, and I realize that health care is an issue in politics, I just think this whole autism speaks thing is phony and irrelevant.