Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Ante
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2005, 2:11 pm

Deleted

Last edited by Ante on 09 Nov 2005, 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2005, 2:26 pm

If big avatars like photos for instance and sigs are taking up precious bandwidth then maybe they should be reduced and stopped. As well as the page getting messed up by avatars that are too big. These are the only things that i see which would justify your suggestions. Though i would like to know how to have no avatar atall if these ideas came to fruition.

pyraxis
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2005, 2:32 pm

I agree with point II.

I do not believe I, III, and IV are necessary, because animated avatars and colors/sizes of text are not currently used to excess. There are a few people who post in colors, and others have made it clear they do not read colored posts. So for people who like colors, it's their own loss that their words are being read by fewer people.

I disagree with V. I would have no problem with signatures being limited to a certain number of lines of text (to improve readability) but I don't think it's necessary per se because long signatures haven't become a serious problem. But signatures add a touch of personality and individuality to people's posts - a good thing IMO.

I strongly disagree with any attempt to impose arbitrary limits based on the desire to avoid an environment of partiality. I don't want to turn this into a political debate, but history has proven such attempts to be ineffective and futile.

magic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2005, 3:31 pm

This are my opinions on this subject.

I. I have no opinion.

II. Avatar size restrictions are already enforced - we ask members who use avatars of an excessive size to modify them. If you see an avatar that disrupts page layout, please notify moderators.

III. I would suggest modifying WrongPlanet software to allow members to set an option in their profiles that would cause the software become color-blind for them, i.e. ignore text color information when converting posts to HTML. This way members who do not like colored posts would see them in black.

IV. Same solution as III.

V. I disagree, but I would support imposing a limit on signature length. I find multiple-line signatures somewhat of a nuisance. I would also like signatures to be distinguished from the main text (e.g. by font size, color or background).