Four forums could be reduced to two

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Ante
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2005, 6:19 pm

Deleted

Last edited by Ante on 09 Nov 2005, 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2005, 11:24 pm

No offense, but I would hate having to dredge through lots of crap about mindless television shows in order to find a few pertinent art topics.

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 1:54 am

I like how everything is set up now. Each topic area gets cluttered alot already... Imagine if we were to condense it like you say? It'd get way too cluttered...

GA

Ante
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 7:07 am

Deleted

Last edited by Ante on 09 Nov 2005, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 7:37 am

Yes... It's all one big conspiracy...

This isn't a chatroom where anything goes, it's a forum, with set places to discuss certain topics...

If we continued on your train of thought, we'd up with One place to post replies, and it'd be so chaotic no one would be able to tell what's going on...

GA

Ante
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 8:02 am

Deleted

Last edited by Ante on 09 Nov 2005, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 8:08 am

Then perhaps you shouldn't...

GA

Ante
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 8:34 am

Deleted

Last edited by Ante on 09 Nov 2005, 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 10:06 am

How hard is it to create or delete a forum?

I think there should be one for breaking news and/or disasters because there are likely to be more of those and they are gumming up the others.
Perhaps if people aren't posting on a forum it could be phased out.
I am posting regularly on the work forum and would not like to see that one go away.
The friendship and social interaction forum would be helpful if it was more like its title.
I like the separations because they help me find things more easily.

I like the creativity forum because these doesn't appear to be a way to post to the writing and poetry area right now, so as soon as I get my courage up I'll be doing that.
I like the fact that the computer forum is separate because although I have savant skills in that area I have limited training and find the jargon boring.

if you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 12:06 pm

In my opinion, two forums that could definitely be merged are General Discussions and Members Only Discussion. The big difference between the two is that Members Only is used for more personally sensitive posts than the publicly accessible General. This is really false security. Anyone on the Internet can easily register as a member of WrongPlanet.net whether they have an autistic spectrum condition or not. If they really wanted to read our private posts for their own twisted sense of humor, they could.

On the other hand, I disagree with your suggestion to merge Television and Entertainment with Arts, Crafts, Writing, and Music. I occasionally read the Arts forum, but I never read the TV one. The reason is entertainment is not the same as artistic expression! I have no interest whatsoever in the latest reality TV show, the next Super Bowl, etc. In my opinion, this forum could be merged with Games, Sports, and Fitness to form one leisure and entertainment forum. I would advise retaining the Computers forum's separation from the other Special Interests boards because computers are one of the most common interests for aspies.

Honestly, sometimes the only forum I read is General Discussions; and I rarely work my way straight down to the bottom. I often choose to place my topics in General Discussion because I know fewer people read the other forums even if they may be more topical there.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 12:08 pm

By the way, ancient posts in phased-out forums could be placed in one Archive forum or just merged into the most relevant forum. The change is nothing more than an SQL UPDATE query that changes the ForumID for all merged topics and posts.

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 2:18 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
In my opinion, two forums that could definitely be merged are General Discussions and Members Only Discussion. The big difference between the two is that Members Only is used for more personally sensitive posts than the publicly accessible General. This is really false security. Anyone on the Internet can easily register as a member of WrongPlanet.net whether they have an autistic spectrum condition or not. If they really wanted to read our private posts for their own twisted sense of humor, they could.

Yeah, but that would totally take so much effort just for the sake of harassment! Seriously, I have many times tried to read a news article then given up because "oh crap I have to freakin' register". Having the Member's Only forum at least protects us from impulse harassment, plus we can ban them if we really need to.

magic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 2:33 pm

NeantHumain wrote:

That's true. The benefit of the member-only forum is that it does not get indexed and cached by Google and other search engines.

Edit: On the other hand, I am not so sure about that. The member-only forum still gets Google ads, so Google obviously has an access to it. Hmmm... :?

Last edited by magic on 02 Sep 2005, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 2:35 pm

Ante wrote:
Putting all topics in general forums wouldn't be chaotic, it would bring the site alive. As it is every forum except the general ones seem to be quite dead.

not so, ante. have just checked the forum index, and every forum bar 3 has a post on it today, and the other 3 have posts on from yesterday (computers, games and sports, and kids' crater, to be thorough).

hardly dead, i'd say. :)

Ante
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 2:48 pm

Deleted

Last edited by Ante on 09 Nov 2005, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2005, 2:52 pm

my pleasure, Ante ;)