Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Temucano
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jan 2008, 2:32 pm

I invited five people to my house because I want to create an anime research group. I´m doing this because my doctor said: you have to meet people with your hobbies.
The first reunion was great. Many ideas were discussed. We were talking about anime all the time. Two weeks later, these people came back to my home. We were talking only about anime. We watched a movie and other stuff.
And here is my problem: I really want to make friends and I was bored talking all the time about these subjects. So I started to talk about other subjects like friendship. I talked about my true intentions about this group. I told them about my lack of social skills, my lack of empathy and my rigid patterns. For example, I don´t drink alcohol but all of them do the opposite. Even I talked about my romantic rejections. It was very late, but I was talking spontaneusly about my life. I never mentioned Asperger.
After that, they leave my home. I was very anxious about the new meeting. But they want to do that in one month. It´s a very long wait for me.
I feel terrible now because I talked to these semi-strangers (2 meetings only) about personal facts and probably the have a new image of me. Probably they think that I´m an autistic person. Even there was agirl who was laughing about my jokes and she seems interested about my hobbies. But changed a little bit after I told about this. I really needed to talk about this with someone but I think it was the wrong moment.
Can you give me any advice? Thanks.

kitschinator
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jan 2008, 3:02 pm

I think it will be okay. They may have thought it was strange, but if they have spent two evenings with you talking and having fun, I'm sure they still like you. You won't be seeing them again for a month....they will likely have forgotten all about it. Try to spend your next get together talking about fun subjects and don't bring it up again.

You never know, some of the people you invited may have related to what you said and been glad you were looking for friends. It is hard to tell.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Jan 2008, 3:22 pm

Ya, my first thought when reading your post about telling the group how you feel was OUCH! Ya, I have learned from experience that its not good to open up to people like that until you have more of a relationship with them. I doubt your scared them away but next time I just would not open up so much about your issues, give it time and then explain, be yourself but be socally acceptable at the same time and after a long while when you have established a better relationship with them and they open up a little more (if they do) then I think then would be a better moment to do so then after the second meeting.

Dont beat yourself up over it, if they keep wanting to hang out then you will be fine, sometimes these things are just a lesson to people like us, I always find it hard to open up to people because I never truly know if its approproate, but if they get real close to me and we are one and one then I feel more compfortable about it. Next time you meet definatly dont discuse those things but rather let the group do their discussion and you just go along with them.