Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Jan 2008, 12:34 am

If you have AS with other disorders present, you qualify for disability in this country. Apply now!

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 1:26 am

777 wrote:
If you have AS with other disorders present, you qualify for disability in this country. Apply now!

I like to work for my money 777.

TheBladeRoden
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 1:45 am

Sorry, still gonna try to prove I can be more than a leach on the taxpayers.

Even if the government doesn't :P

flailure
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2008, 2:06 am

I would be far more comfortable seeking grants for business opportunities for those with AS than having the government pay me to be a hermit. This is, of course, my own personal perspective, because I do realize that some people might have more trouble coping with society than others.

Oh, and pardon my ignorance, to which country are we referring?

Boutique
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jan 2008, 3:48 am

Silver_Meteor wrote:
777 wrote:

Ditto. I have learned how to earn good money despite being disabled and caring for a special needs child with no help. I don't want to be a burden on anyone else. The most serious problem with this way of life is that when it comes to affording proper health care, I really do need help.

07 Jan 2008, 4:44 am

I work for my own money. No need to abuse the gov. system.

SirLogiC
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2008, 5:04 am

777 wrote:

Aye as flailure said, what country is that in >.>

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Jan 2008, 8:05 am

While I make a modest $20,000-$30,000 a year and live cheaply, efficently and do fairly well for myself, I would rather continue living the way that I do working 5 days a week part time half the year and full time the other half then making all of $650 a mounth plus food stamps.

I do want help from the government when it comes to healthcare because I dont make alot maby just less then the average person in the US (bairly) and ATM while I do fine being a single homeowner who lives alone and is fortunate to have good credit so I can have nice things like a new car, washer and dryer, GPS, and nice stylish EMS clothing ect but someday what I truly want in life is a bigger, nicer house, a wife and children and $20,000-$30,000 a year wont cut it to provide decently for everyone while trying to retire (not relying on the government for that) and basicly doing all I can for my future children cause I will be happy if I can give them 1/4 what my parents gave me. Being on disability will distory all hope in the future that I have of being happy, sure I wont have to work anymore I can sit here all day long broke in my little home and will die here or I can bust ass all day long, make a reasonable income and go out and acheive the American dream and die a happy man surrounded by family that loves me in the end. Thats just me anyways...

I had a friend who was in my special ed class, he has seizures and they were serious. He lived for years off the government, made all of $650 and food stamps and I think medicare. He lived in the cheap small appartment that was discusting. He did aford a computer and partied a bit, he had a little extra money to spend but my God, nobody can go anywhere on that and he was miserable. I guess it depends on what you want in life and what will make ya happy, just think about what you really want 777 and be realistic about it. You may be entitled to that from the government, but will you really be happy and in the end will you feel you wasted your potential. I want some government assistence when it comes to healthcare, tho I never have had any assistence from the government, eather myself or my parents have provided 100% for me, when I have kids I will do everything I can to get everything possible to make their lives the best I can, even if I gotta work 12 hrs a day and never have free time.

Ok.... I think I typed enough here... sorry everyone for my rants.

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 8:24 am

Bravo...Woodsman25, you said it best. I commend you for your hardworking efforts to make the most of your life.

It appears the work ethic in the USA has truly gone down the toilet.

yesplease
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 9:06 am

Silver_Meteor wrote:
Disability encompasses more than just payments from a state/government body and includes programs that can help an individual classified as such find work and get help in other arenas.

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 9:13 am

I'm pretty sure I can't get on disability allowance for AS here. Well not that I know of (West-Australia). I've fought and taught myself how to deal with people and work 30 hours a week minimum, I simply have to.

Rain_Bird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2008, 7:01 pm

777 wrote:

hmm... maybe I *should* look into getting an official diagnosis then... :lol:

No. I don't want special treatment or any kind, and I definitely don't want to be a burden on society.
If I'm going to not work for my money, I'm going to do it the old-fashioned way and freeload off my friends and relatives... :wink:

Brooks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jan 2008, 8:10 pm

Why??? So I can take a pay cut???

No thanks, I have worked hard to get where I am and I really do not want to take a step backwards.

Disability has its place and it is a great thing that for those that truly need it, but I am not one of those. I can function in society despite my AS. I have a good work ethic and actually enjoy working most of the time.

I will leave disability for those that have true trouble functioning in society.

09 Jan 2008, 4:34 pm

I get free health care because of my disability. Without it, I wouldn't have seen a shrink, or gone to a doctor for anything or see a dentist. I don't think it covers vision so I have to save some money so I can have my eyes exammed again because I think I need better glasses and glasses cost about $100. I also get health care from work but I never got a card in the mail. I still have to contact the union because $17.50 of my paycheck is going to waste. What's the point in having health care if you don't have the card. The Union covers vision though.

Norah_W
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jan 2008, 1:55 am

777 wrote:

What country are you in?

Norah_W
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jan 2008, 1:56 am

Silver_Meteor wrote:
777 wrote:

So do I, but I've been doing it for 27 years and the stress has gotten worse not better, and I don't see how I can keep up with it much longer.