Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

englishwolf
Raven
Raven

07 Jan 2008, 6:29 pm

Before I start I should say that this possibly belongs in the parenting section, but since i don't frequent that particular forum and I am not a parent myself I thought i'd post it here for people to see.
Being the self confessed WWE geek that I am I was looking through their website when i came across an article on how a family uses WWE programming to help explain social situations to their autistic sons, and also to give them something they will be able to talk about with other children at school.

Anyway, here's the article

"There you are, sitting in a junior high school cafeteria, eating lunch with your friends. One of the hardest things about those pre-teen years is just fitting in. Out of the corner of your eye, you see a group of older kids coming toward your table; it’s pretty obvious what they want to do. Bullying. But you ask yourself one question: What would John Cena do in a situation like this?

For Erin Donohue and her three sons, Willie, 12, Jimmy, 8, and Tommy, 4, of North Merrick, N.Y., the reaches of wrestling go far beyond the scope of piledrivers and pedigrees. Their interest in WWE has been a key to combating Autism Spectrum Disorder, with which Willie and Tommy have been diagnosed.

Autism Spectrum Disorder, considered one of the fastest-growing developmental disabilities, is a type of neurological disorder that inhibits communication and interpersonal skills, along with other symptoms. But Willie and Tommy are beating autism at its own game – and WWE has been instrumental in their progress.

Two years ago, while Willie was in fifth grade, he noticed that his friends were watching wrestling. Believing that WWE could really be a way for him to connect with his peers, his mother decided to turn it on.

“We would all start watching WWE together as a family,” Donohue recalled. “What the shows enabled us to do [because there are good guys and bad guys] is help him to understand different social situations.”

Unorthodox? Maybe. Donohue’s friends weren’t afraid to express their apprehension.

“My friends think I’m crazy. They would say to me, ‘You’re letting them watch wrestling?!’” she said, beginning to laugh. “But I told them it was the one thing that really got through to them.”

According to the Autism Society of America, considered one of the leading resources on the subject, social skills training is an important part of treatment for those diagnosed with autism. This training teaches children the nuts and bolts of social situations. And each show – Raw, SmackDown and ECW – presents various ways for Donohue to teach her sons, especially her oldest, Willie, about some of life’s lessons.

“If you look at the different episodes of the different shows, you can really see the various social situations that are being presented,” she explained. “I’m not a professional, I’m a parent. Looking at it from that type of perspective, I see it and ask myself, ‘How can I turn this into a learning situation?’”

WWE programming, WWE.com and WWE Magazine all play an important role in the development of Willie and Tommy’s social skills.

According to his mom, Tommy, the youngest, doesn’t communicate often. Recently though, he’s been able to say more than one word at a time – and WWE Superstar action figures have been integrated into his therapy sessions. Tommy is in a specialized school now, and one of his aides uses the action figures as a reward. If his behavior is good or he is nice to someone, those toys are motivation for him.

“His therapist will go and play with the action figures with Tommy. They would learn the names of each Superstar along with different concepts – in, out, under, over – certain things that would come across as easy to those who do not have a hard time processing language,” Donohue said. “But with these action figures – something he’s interested in – we were able to teach him these concepts.”

Willie uses different aspects of WWE, from WWE.com to WWE Magazine to even WWE Shop. Each provides a different skill set that Willie can apply to his everyday life.

With WWE Magazine, Willie brings it to school, and it instantly becomes a way to connect with his peers. They see the magazine cover with a picture of Triple H or Chris Jericho and sit next to Willie at lunch and begin talking. This opens up new lines of communication, and helps Willie gain more self-confidence, especially in social situations.

WWE Magazine also, in some ways, has become part of his academics.

“His teachers look through the magazine and pick out different words and vocabulary,” Donohue explained. “Even with different school projects where he would have to cut out pictures – he’d go to WWE Magazine first.”

Willie also logs on to WWE.com almost every day, something that helps to build his reading and math skills. His mom turns WWEShop.com into mathematical problems. He tells her what he would like to buy, and together they figure out how much money (or how much more money) Willie would need to purchase each item.

“Parents really need to look into anything their child is interested in, and try and use it as a learning experience to tap into their skills,” Ms. Donohue explained when asked to give some advice to parents.

“WWE has helped us on so many levels. Once we started getting into it, the whole family also got into it. If [Willie] is not interested in reading or learning about what the subject matter is, it doesn’t really matter. There has to be some sort of interest for him really to put his mind to it.”

source http://www.wwe.com/inside/overtheropes/news/donohue

I hope that this is helpful to someone

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 7:01 pm

Thats pretty cool :o

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

07 Jan 2008, 7:41 pm

I used to love watching wrestling with my Dad when I was a kid.

Good excuse to watch it again!

Helen

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 4:40 am

As a long time wrestling fan (22 years - it's a special interest) and an actual participant in the local scene (five years - as a referee, commentator and manager) this article struck such a chord with me.

I wrote a personal update on my website when it had a forum in May 2006, and I'll just quote a part of it here;

Quote:
An Aspie is most comfortable in an environment of their own making. It's no different for me. A fantasy world that I have had for years. I made a decision to try to make it as realistic as possible (as a part of the fun) some time ago - and on occasions it's worked. On other occasions it's blown up in my face. Because I want to share it, and it's not always appropriate to do so.

Two things are perfect for this purpose though.

(snip)
Quote:
The other is wrestling. (name removed) flagrantly blasted me in public on (forum name removed) last year and added that I "didn't belong". Well here's a news flash for him and everyone else in wrestling who has given me trouble. I got a taste of something that is not available anywhere else. A ready made fantasy world that I can operate in, even though it's not of my own making. It's perfect. It's why it galls me more than most when backstage shenanigans get in the way, and also when people treat the business like a massive ego trip for themselves (or in some cases their hip pocket). There are those who will accuse me of that, but the bottom line for me is not an ego trip for me. I get enough of a trip just being backstage as a part of the show. I just want to keep going. It's just so important for me to have something available that is as close to my own fantasy world as I'm ever going to get. To be pushed away from that simply because I was trying to push away those who threaten that world - either directly (at me) or indirectly (at the business as a whole) is the biggest insult of all. And I consider it to be discrimination as well.

So I empathise with this article. Wrestling has always been a display of good v evil - whether it be WWF/E, WCW, ECW or the local scene in whatever country you care to name. If it can be used in such a way I call that fantastic.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 8:51 am

Cool!

Too be honest I've never been interested is professional wrestling. I remember when I was 5 or 6 telling my step-dad while he was watching wrestling "Jim, that stuff is so fake." Then my step dad said "how do you know it's fake"? And I retort "Because if it was real they'd be hurting themselves and have to go to the doctor." :lol:

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 5:59 am

Oh but Odin they do go to the doctor! Just ask John Cena and Bobby Lashley! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually I shouldn't laugh because both of them do have serious muscle injuries at present.

psychotic
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jan 2008, 6:01 am

yay for WWE too bad their game got old like 6 years ago

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 6:07 am

The trouble is there's no competition (TNA doesn't count because they still don't have the financial backing to equal WWE on their terms).

rossc
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jan 2008, 9:07 am

I dunno it sounds poor advice. That kind of wrestling is fake and has stupid "storylines" and feuds. It is unrealistic.
To expect an autistic kid to behave like a 240lbs body builder in a choreographed scenario is pretty dumb advice.

Besides the sport is populated by a lot of steroid abuse and has had management of such places turn a blind eye.
I would not encourage this to my kids.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 9:35 am

rossc wrote:
I dunno it sounds poor advice. That kind of wrestling is fake and has stupid "storylines" and feuds. It is unrealistic.

The storylines and feuds are choreographed, yes, but nothing else is.

Things go wrong all the time.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

rossc
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jan 2008, 9:32 pm

No the moves and direction of the fight is choreographed (At x point you have to do y). It is acting. Sure they are big fit blokes and it is very physical. They are more akin stunt men in martial arts choreographed action sequences. It is staged, fake, and set up.

Can there ever be injuries? Of course. Any physical or physically demanding action risks that. What happens if a 240 lbs man does a back flip off a a turnbuckle like he has practiced and "gets it wrong? 240 lbs of wrestler at force bouncing his head off wrestling mat. Of course people get hurt.

It is still fake and teaching kids that somehow this staged and unrealistic world is meritorious to derive some benefit for real life difficulties is at best weird and at worse dangerous.