How long does it take to learn a job?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

sufi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 6:55 pm

I can learn the basics of a job pretty quick but from that point on I make a lot of mistakes. Some I can make many times over and over til I eventually do it right. In the meantime my confidence drops, insecurities mount, I beat myself up and cry a lot, thus causing more mistakes. Eventually I make every mistake possible and finally learn how to avoid them. This whole process seems to take me two to three years before I begin to feel confident in my work. Although I will make mistakes like everyone else at this point they are fewer, less dramatic and do not impact my confidence as much. It just seems like such a long process.

Look for three or more options.
"I'm not too crazy about reality, but it's the only place to get a decent meal.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 7:36 pm

just have to remember that everyone makes mistakes. Everyone. Even NTs.

The trick is to learn from them. I make mistakes all the time, but I try to learn from them. Problem with me is I have to make mistakes from new situations.

"Wisdom comes from experience, and experience comes from making mistakes" - Robert E Lee

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 8:31 pm

I learn a new job very quickly, usually in a day or two at most. Unfortunately, it takes a lot longer for other people to realize that I know how to do the job. I guess they're so accustomed to people learning more slowly that they stop observing and just rely on assumptions based on observations of previous employees.

07 Jan 2008, 8:51 pm

I'm a pretty fast learner to an extent. When I got a new job, I was supposed to be being trained for a month but instead after three weeks of working there, I was on my own because I had already learned it. I am still learning about my job though. I don't think you ever stop learning on your job. New policies come in, rules change, things get moved so you have to be informed, etc.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 11:36 pm

Every computing job I've ever had, I've been dropped into an area with pretty much no training, no documentation and, most importantly, no access and no passwords.

In my current job I had to hack my way into the systems to gain control and set myself up as administrator. It wasn't hard because they'd been so poorly maintained.

My main trick is to set up and carry with me an electronic manual.

I use Lotus Notes for that since it enables you to collect a lot of diverse documents together in a single database, but you could use any number of applications.

As soon as I find out how to do something I document it throughly. My manual today now contains 7324 separate documents, some only a few words long and others up to 100+ pages. It's full text searchable so I always have the procedures close at hand.

I tend to stay in similar types of technology jobs, so the manual is always useful.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Jan 2008, 4:54 am

When I started my new job a year and a half ago it took me about a week to learn all the ropes, know how to do the paper work, know where my dock space is, protocall and how to be efficent. I find in my job it takes others much longer then it took me because unlike them I make everything into a system, assign tasks an order and I do things the same way each time, so I generally become more efficent at my work and learn quicker.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 6:33 am

I have no trouble learning it... I get it immediately. But I probably have ADD, unfortunately, which makes me look and act dumber than I am!

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 9:58 am

I learned my job fairly quickly. It was fairly easy because it utilized skills I already possessed.

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 10:01 am

It would depend on the job, the people around me and any unforseen situations that occur throughout the day. I can learn something pretty quickly as long as things go nicely, quietly and the people teaching me are not tyrrannical.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 11:46 am

When i did my 1st job at first great western doin customer service i picked it up very quickly n it only took me 3 dayz 2 know everything n dey had so much trust on me dey let work on me own.